Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stickley reproduction with a few twists

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:37:13 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Nope, LOL. Never smoked or did any drugs, except perscription ones. I suppose my meanderdering thoughts are the result of my upbringing and formal schooling. I grew up on a farm. I think that's been a plus. Sometime in grade school or high school, I realized the art of and in nature. My first major in college was Wildlife Biology and spent many hours/days in the woods, studying whatever. When I graduated WB, the only job available was working in a fish hatchery for $300/mo. I went back to school in engineering, Basic Design Technology, and subsequently worked at Placid Refinery, in Port Allen, La. for 2 years, then had the opportunity to get into the medical field (following my brother), where I spent 23 yrs before retiring. I now have lots of time to reflect on lots of things, especially my woods wanderings and the like, as when younger. Whether my rationale is on track or not, I simply enjoy thinking and trying to perform tasks in various genre, disciplines or combinations of. When a subject strikes me a certain way, I express my opinion, to show my thoughts and why. I think, in a nut shell, I've always been passionate about nature and what it has to offer, including its art. I guess I was explaining, from a different perspective, why I liked your project. I, too, sometimes wonder if I'm just off the beaten path or lost in the woods. With many of my projects, I've tried to have as few straight lines or edges as possible, as in nature. When folks see the piece, their first instinct, I find, is they want to touch it, to feel it. I'll bet that's what you've experienced with your table (top): folks want to touch it, not just view it. Ever look straight up a tall tree. Trees don't "grow" straight up. They grow in a spiral, upwards. Its neat! Nature has lots of "odd things" about itself. It has been and still is enjoyable discovering them. I suppose, searching for and/or discovering nature's art can be an addiction/addicting. In my retirement years, I find myself having more time to think and do, as in my younger years, just slower doing. My approach or sense, for a project, is more from/for the natural esthetics and art side, rather than from/with the technical aspects of producing the piece. Combining both is a plus. Hardly anyone readily sees the technical aspects, though. Their initial view or perspective is of the art or esthetics, as with your table. I think other comments, here, were in the ball park of my comment. I just pointed out something, specific, I've discovered about most of nature's products... no straight lines or edges... represented, in several ways, in your table project. Sonny

I don't know man. I think somebody is slipping you some magic brownies or something. ;^)