Posted to rec.woodworking

Default hello again

I am sort of back. Since last I looked in, we have sold our house in
the mountains and moved to near the beach. Carlsbad, CA, that is. I
gave my shop to my youngest daughter who lives in the Bay area. I kept
two ancient (they are my age, 73) the workbench and a stationary belt
sander. I also kept all the hand tools whether tailed or not. Maggy
needed to get away from the small town politics and neither of us liked
winters with 10 to 22 feet of snow every year. Oh and I don't have a
real email addy yet so don't try that. Should be back online in a week
or so.

I need to buy a smaller table saw. A contractor style or perhaps a
hybrid. Anybody have anything like that you really love? In the
meantime...

THE IRISH PROSTITUTE

An Irish daughter had not been home for over a year. Upon her return,
her father yelled at her,
"Where have ye been all this time? Why did ye not write to us? Not
even a line. Why didn't ye call? Can ye not understand what ye put
yer old Mother thru?"

The girl, crying, replied, Sniff, sniff...."Dad.....I was too
embarrassed, I became a prostitute.

""Ye what!!? Out of here, ye shameless harlot! Sinner! You're a
disgrace to this Catholic family, so yer are.

""OK, Daddy...as ye wish.. I just came back to give Mammy this
luxurious fur coat, title deed to a ten bedroom mansion plus a $5
million cheque. For me little brother Seamus, this gold Rolex. And
for ye Daddy, the sparkling new Mercedes limited edition convertible
that's parked outside, plus a membership to the Limerick Country Club.
She takes a breath and continues, "and an invitation for ye all to
spend New Years Eve on board my new yacht in the Caribbean ."

"Now what was it ye said ye had become?" says Dad.

Girl, crying again, Sniff, sniff...."A prostitute Daddy!" Sniff, sniff.

"Oh! Be Jesus! Ye scared me half to death girl! I thought ye said a
PROTESTANT. Come here and give yer old Daddy a big hug."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/22/2012 5:02 PM, jo4hn wrote:
[...]

Welcome back, good to see/hear from you ... and with another of your
groaners to celebrate the occasion. I was going to go hunt one down for
you, but you beat me to it. LOL

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/22/2012 5:02 PM, jo4hn wrote:
I am sort of back. Since last I looked in, we have sold our house in

"Oh! Be Jesus! Ye scared me half to death girl! I thought ye said a
PROTESTANT. Come here and give yer old Daddy a big hug."

Oh yeah, and maholo!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 6:02:06 PM UTC-4, jo4hn wrote:
[...]

Ouch. There's nothing wrong with 73, man. I'll dump that in three weeks, but...it beats hell out of the alternative (probably literally in my case) even if you do creak and groan a lot. Of course, those searches for the fountain of youth are more easily understood now.

I've pretty much stripped my shop of extras while I stick to building birdhouses out of scrap and debris. Underpowered table saw, small drill press, small jointer, Ridgid 13" planer, Craftsman 10" bandsaw, etc. In the past, I've used a couple of the Craftsman hybrid table saws. They are not as easy to move around as contractor's saws, but are much more stable, easier to adjust, etc. I really liked the one with the granite top. They also have Biesemeyer fences, another plus.

I hope my new web site will be up in another week or 10 days: it might be interesting (or not).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 15:09:52 -0700, Charlie Self wrote:

Ouch. There's nothing wrong with 73, man. I'll dump that in three weeks,
but...it beats hell out of the alternative (probably literally in my
case) even if you do creak and groan a lot. Of course, those searches
for the fountain of youth are more easily understood now.

Welcome to the crowd, Charlie. I'm 75, or at least my body is - my mind
thinks I'm still 30 :-).

I'm not ready to give away the workshop yet. In fact, I've recently
gotten enthralled with the hammered dulcimer and all of its
permutations. I might go over to the dark side and become a luthier.

Enjoy the warmer winter :-).

carrying a cross.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 15:09:52 -0700, Charlie Self wrote:

Ouch. There's nothing wrong with 73, man. I'll dump that in three weeks,
but...it beats hell out of the alternative (probably literally in my
case) even if you do creak and groan a lot. Of course, those searches
for the fountain of youth are more easily understood now.

Welcome to the crowd, Charlie. I'm 75, or at least my body is - my mind
thinks I'm still 30 :-).

I'm not ready to give away the workshop yet. In fact, I've recently
gotten enthralled with the hammered dulcimer and all of its
permutations. I might go over to the dark side and become a luthier.

Enticing, isn't it!

Cheers,
Bill

Enjoy the warmer winter :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/22/2012 3:02 PM, jo4hn wrote:
I am sort of back. Since last I looked in, we have sold our house in
the mountains and moved to near the beach. Carlsbad, CA, that is. I
gave my shop to my youngest daughter who lives in the Bay area. I kept
two ancient (they are my age, 73) the workbench and a stationary belt
sander. I also kept all the hand tools whether tailed or not. Maggy
needed to get away from the small town politics and neither of us liked
winters with 10 to 22 feet of snow every year. Oh and I don't have a
real email addy yet so don't try that. Should be back online in a week
or so.

I need to buy a smaller table saw. A contractor style or perhaps a
hybrid. Anybody have anything like that you really love? In the
meantime...

Okey Dokey,
I had checked at the Borgs to see what they had in the way of
contractor/hybrid table saws but they have nothing on display. But
Charlie (thanks Charlie) flogged my memory about Sears. Since there is
a rather large one nearby, I tried them out. Lots of displays including
a hybrid with a cast iron table and a riving knife ($699). Seemed to
have what I needed in my downsized "shop", so I bought one for delivery
on Monday. Will let you know how it works out.
mahalo
jo4hn

P.S. note the change of email addy. As before take out the Hawaiian.

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:

Okey Dokey,
I had checked at the Borgs to see what they had in the way of
contractor/hybrid table saws but they have nothing on display. But
Charlie (thanks Charlie) flogged my memory about Sears. Since there
is a rather large one nearby, I tried them out. Lots of displays
including a hybrid with a cast iron table and a riving knife ($699).
Seemed to have what I needed in my downsized "shop", so I bought one
for delivery on Monday. Will let you know how it works out.
mahalo
jo4hn

Keep us posted on how you like it John. When they first came out with their
hybrids, Sears had a pretty good deal on one model, and it had a very good
reputation. A lot of saw for a lot less money than going all out cabinet
saw. But - not much discussion about those over the past few years. I have
to bet that it can and will prove to be a good tool. Hell - a lot of us
have gotten by with just your basic contractor's saw or equally basic table
saws, with a few add-on's over the years.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote
Okey Dokey,
I had checked at the Borgs to see what they had in the way of
contractor/hybrid table saws but they have nothing on display. But
Charlie (thanks Charlie) flogged my memory about Sears. Since there is a
rather large one nearby, I tried them out. Lots of displays including a
hybrid with a cast iron table and a riving knife ($699). Seemed to have
what I needed in my downsized "shop", so I bought one for delivery on
Monday. Will let you know how it works out.
mahalo
jo4hn

You might want to buy a new drive belt, if it has a toothed belt. _When_
they go out and you have to order a new one, the project you are working on
will have to wait until one comes in, or you can go out and get one at
Sears.
--
Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/8/2012 9:35 PM, Morgans wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote
Okey Dokey,
I had checked at the Borgs to see what they had in the way of
contractor/hybrid table saws but they have nothing on display. But
Charlie (thanks Charlie) flogged my memory about Sears. Since there
is a rather large one nearby, I tried them out. Lots of displays
including a hybrid with a cast iron table and a riving knife ($699).
Seemed to have what I needed in my downsized "shop", so I bought one
for delivery on Monday. Will let you know how it works out.
mahalo
jo4hn

You might want to buy a new drive belt, if it has a toothed belt.
_When_ they go out and you have to order a new one, the project you are
working on will have to wait until one comes in, or you can go out and
get one at Sears.

In my new digs (Carlsbad, CA), there is a large Sears store about a 3
minute drive or 10 minute walk away. From my mountain home, it was
about 45 minutes down a mountain road. One of the advantages of being a
flatlander.

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:

In my new digs (Carlsbad, CA), there is a large Sears store about a 3
minute drive or 10 minute walk away. From my mountain home, it was
about 45 minutes down a mountain road. One of the advantages of
being a flatlander.

Flatlander, schmatlander... Anything closer than 30 minutes away is too
damned close!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 06:23:39 -0700, jo4hn
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you're up in the Chestnut/Tamarack area. Is the store on
the west side of the Camino Real Mall (what used to be called the May
Company Mall)? Been there, done that (usually in bandages) about
1,000 times for warranty replacement of Crapsman tools. G'luck!

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin