Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can somebody help me with this (old) Drill Press

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:37:50 PM UTC-4, jtpr wrote:
This was my Dad's. It is a Craftsman King-Seeley probably around the 1950's anyway. Floor standing. It is good machine that I have used for a long time. However, it has never had the power that I think it should and I believe it is due to the belts. This has come to be a problem as I want to drill a 3 1/8th inch hole for a clock in a hunk of maple 1 1/2" thick. It just is taking forever. I don't really know how to work the belt system. There is no Sears part number on it that I can find, but it does have a 1/2hp motor.

Here are some pics:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Dri...5079295_D2w2wb

If you have any idea what I do to minimize the belt slip, that would be great. Thank you.

-Jim

Yeah, I think I need to get new belts, just have to figure out where to get them. They each have an "S" on them followed by a 3 digit number.

Also, I posted much better pics in that same gallary.

-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:00:05 -0700 (PDT), jtpr
wrote:

[...]

Consider linkbelts.

Also, I posted much better pics in that same gallary.

That's good. Those first shots were horrible (phone shots, huh?)

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ