Posted to rec.woodworking

Default best way:

Hi I have a scenario to run bye you guys I have to cut 1/2' plywood panels
with 45 degree edges to make mitered joints .Is it better to cut plywood
square and then run it though the router table that has a 45 degree bit?

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/14/2012 8:22 PM, sal wrote:
Hi I have a scenario to run bye you guys I have to cut 1/2' plywood panels
with 45 degree edges to make mitered joints .Is it better to cut plywood
square and then run it though the router table that has a 45 degree bit?

Better than what???

How large of pieces????

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 20:22:08 -0500, "sal" wrote:
Hi I have a scenario to run bye you guys I have to cut 1/2' plywood panels
with 45 degree edges to make mitered joints .Is it better to cut plywood
square and then run it though the router table that has a 45 degree bit?

What are you cutting them with square with? If it's a tablesaw, then
cutting them square and cutting the 45° angle all on the tablesaw is
the easiest, fastest and most exact method.

If you're cutting with a circular saw, then I'd still want to make the
square and 45° cuts with that too.

Trimming plywood with a router bit is messy and prone to mistakes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 21:19:43 -0500, "sal" wrote:
Sorry I left out the (or cut the plywood on the tablesaw with blade at a
45degree)

Cut it all on the tablesaw, no matter with size the panels are.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/12 9:25 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 21:19:43 -0500, "sal" wrote:
Sorry I left out the (or cut the plywood on the tablesaw with blade at a
45degree)

Cut it all on the tablesaw, no matter with size the panels are.

Yep... and I agree about the router.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

sal wrote:
Sorry I left out the (or cut the plywood on the tablesaw with blade
at a 45degree)

Cutting on the table saw is gooder.

BUT:

Don't depend on the saw's angle protractor. Get yourself an inclinometer to
get the blade to 45d precisely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sal" wrote in :

Sorry I left out the (or cut the plywood on the tablesaw with blade at a
45degree)

Table saw. Definitely.

"sal" wrote in message
Hi I have a scenario to run bye you guys I have to cut 1/2' plywood
panels with 45 degree edges to make mitered joints .Is it better to cut
plywood square and then run it though the router table that has a 45
degree bit?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

sal wrote:
Sorry I left out the (or cut the plywood on the tablesaw with blade
at a 45degree)

Cutting on the table saw is gooder.

BUT:

Don't depend on the saw's angle protractor. Get yourself an inclinometer to
get the blade to 45d precisely.

Pfffft. Unnecessary expense. Set up the table saw accurately to begin with. Then make a few
test cuts in scrap to verify.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/2012 8:22 PM, sal wrote:
Hi I have a scenario to run bye you guys I have to cut 1/2' plywood panels
with 45 degree edges to make mitered joints .Is it better to cut plywood
square and then run it though the router table that has a 45 degree bit?

Sal

When working with plywood you typically will get a better cut with a saw
blade than a router bit in this situation.

That said if your panels are relative large and are not perfectly flat
your 45 degree cuts will not be straight or consistent.

Experiment on scraps!

Posted to rec.woodworking

sal wrote:
Hi I have a scenario to run bye you guys I have to cut 1/2' plywood
panels with 45 degree edges to make mitered joints .Is it better to
cut plywood square and then run it though the router table that has
a 45 degree bit?

You decide...

1. On a table saw, you will get a 45 degree cut on two pieces with one cut.

2. To use a router, you have to cut the pieces on a saw then hog off the
excess with your router bit.

--

dadiOH

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net