Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Varnish not drying properly

All,

Continuing the project of varnishing the exterior face of a mahogany entry door.

Is going well - better than I would have expected, certainly the result of all the helpful
guidance from members of the group - with special thanks to DadiOH.

The first coat of Flagship varnish was thinned 10% (per manufacturer's instructions) with
their T120 brushing thinner and went on well for my first time applying varnish and to a
vertical surface.

The product tech bulletin states time to dry hard is 8-12 hrs @ 90 F.

Four days after application there were areas where the varnish had accumulated that were
still very gummy / tacky - note our max. temps have been in the mid to upper 90's. The
accumulation was approx. 1/32 +/- thick.

Thinned to the max. recommended - do not understand why this would be the case.

Any ideas?

Should remaining coats be similarly thinned or applied with no thinner - although may need
some considering the temperature.

Best time is late afternoon when the humidity is below 50% - of course that is when the
temp is at or near max. for the day.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Regards,

Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Hortvet wrote in
:
[...]
The first coat of Flagship varnish was thinned 10% (per
manufacturer's instructions) with their T120 brushing thinner
and went on well for my first time applying varnish and to a
vertical surface.

The product tech bulletin states time to dry hard is 8-12 hrs @
90 F.

Four days after application there were areas where the varnish
had accumulated that were still very gummy / tacky

Too heavy a coat, or old varnish.

- note our
max. temps have been in the mid to upper 90's. The accumulation
was approx. 1/32 +/- thick.

Too heavy.
[...]
Should remaining coats be similarly thinned or applied with no
thinner - although may need some considering the temperature.

Thin it. And don't brush it on nearly so heavy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/4/2012 9:52 AM, Doug Hortvet wrote:
[...]

So would "Flagship" varnish possibly be a marine type Spar varnish???

If so keep in mind that Spar varnishes never really harden, they will
always remain some what sticky and not harden so that they can flex.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Marine, yes; spar, no. I have never had spar (or any other) varnish stay
sticky.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/4/2012 2:07 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

You might have that backwards, Spar always remains sticky, so much so
that I will no longer use it for around the house.
When the spar flexes the spar varnish needs to flex with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Just because it flexes more than non-spar doesn't mean it has to stay
sticky. I kept a foremast, mizzen mast, main boom, main gaff, mizzen boom,
jib boom and yard varnished with spar varnish for close to 20 years. They
were never sticky.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/4/2012 10:52 AM, Doug Hortvet wrote:
[...]

Did you use Epoxy on the door? I have had issues like this going over
epoxy. You have to give the epoxy time for a full cure, and then wash
the amine blush off completely or it will interfere with varnish curing.

Stuart

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

That simply has not been my results and perhaps the OP's results either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to all for their comments.

Epoxy was not used - just the varnish on bare wood.

Is clear the first coat was too thick, which allowed the accumulation to form.

Although the accumulation was not all that thick - I would have thought it would have
dried hard after 4 days with max. daytime temps in the mid 90's.

A better description would be gummy instead of sticky - kind of balled up when sanding.

Was going to apply the next coat this afternoon - and it is now raining.

No complaints on the rain - it is sorely needed.

Drier days are sure to come shortly.

Regards,

Doug

Stuart Wheaton wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Hortvet wrote:

A better description would be gummy instead of sticky - kind of
balled up when sanding.

Did you stir the varnish well before using? Remember, varnish is resin +
oil + thinner. If the oil wasn't mixed in well that might be your problem
as oil stays sort of gummy even when cured. Stir well, don't shake, don't
make bubbles.

--

dadiOH

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Will make certain to sufficiently stir before the next application.

All surfaces were dry and sanded nicely except where the varnish had accumulated - the
result of being applied too heavily.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Doug