Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

Default Air drying lumber properly

On 4/25/2011 9:08 PM, JJ wrote:
For 8ft long lumber, how many supports should one use when air drying?

I bought a dozen 2x12 x 8ft boards at the local big box store.
Geez talk about mediocre wood. Most were pretty damp and I am hoping
it was because they got rained on.

I "borrowed" the lath strips that got exposed as I picked through the
pile. I have eight strips that run almost the full width and laid
those down on the garage floor - a bit over a foot apart.

I'm thinking I will sacrifice some free yard sticks and add those to
the pile.

Thanks,

JJ

I used a few thousand board feet of sawmill lumber in my house (non
structural). It came bundled with metal strapping. The laths were in
between every layer of boards about 4' apart.

I let it dry in my garage and that turned out to be a mistake. It was
too damp for too long because there wasn't enough ventilation. I lost
some wood to rot deep inside the bundles.

As others have suggested don't put a fan on the wood. This will likely
lead to uneven drying. Make sure the wood is out of the rain but in a
place where the wind can keep the air moving throughout the pile.

I was told you should let green lumber air dry for about a year for
every inch in thickness. Ideally you should use a moisture meter but
for what you have it's not worth buying one. Just let the wood sit
for 18 months.

LdB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:54:40 -0500, LdB wrote:

On 4/25/2011 9:08 PM, JJ wrote:
[...]

So the eight Maple 2x10s I've had in the pile (and have moved, interstate,
three times) for 20 years should be good and dry by now? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

On 4/26/2011 11:31 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:54:40 -0500, wrote:

On 4/25/2011 9:08 PM, JJ wrote:
[...]

To be on the safe side they should be tested. If you ship me the
boards I'll test them and send you back the results.

LdB