Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Selling my shop

Hi folks,
I'm back (for a bit anyway). SWMBO (aka LOML aka Maggy) and I have
decided that snow and cold for 4 to 6 months of the year are no longer
put-uppable. We are going to downsize and move withing walking distance
of the beach (hopefully) in the Oceanside/Carlsbad area of California
(think between San Diego and LA). We have sold our home in Green Valley
Lake (in escrow) and have put in bids on smaller places. Hence
downsizing the equipment makes sense. Are there reputable companies
that will bid on my stuff? Any of you guys want to buy my stuff? This
is cash and carry only. A partial list:

PM 66 10" cabinet saw
Oneida V-System 2hp vacuum chip collector with miles of steel tubing
Grizzly G500 8" jointer
Craftsman lathe, 4 speed, 36" (spindle to tailstock)
Craftsman 10" radial arm saw with blades
Craftsman 1/2" shaper with cutters
Delta 14" cabinet band saw (includes 3/16 and 1/2 blades)

and other stuff. Everything is less that 20 years old. If anyone is
interested, I will give you an excellent price. If you know of a
company that will come and get it, I would appreciate the info.

TIA,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/17/2012 12:13 PM, jo4hn wrote:
Hi folks,
I'm back (for a bit anyway).

Welcome back ... long time no see!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

If you would simply move to the Texas gulf coast you can probably find a
house with 3 car garage twice as big as the one you are selling for half
the price. ;~)

Oh and no state income tax, oh and not every thing here causes cancer,
no earth quakes, usually. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/17/2012 10:13 AM, jo4hn wrote:
Hi folks,
I'm back (for a bit anyway).
PM 66 10" cabinet saw
Oneida V-System 2hp vacuum chip collector with miles of steel tubing
Grizzly G500 8" jointer
Craftsman lathe, 4 speed, 36" (spindle to tailstock)
Craftsman 10" radial arm saw with blades
Craftsman 1/2" shaper with cutters
Delta 14" cabinet band saw (includes 3/16 and 1/2 blades)

and other stuff. Everything is less that 20 years old. If anyone is
interested, I will give you an excellent price. If you know of a
company that will come and get it, I would appreciate the info.

TIA,
jo4hn

I am sure sorry you live on the wrong coast.

I would also give this site a shot.

The Craftsman/Grizzly stuff will not be a hot mover but the PM and the
Oneida and Delta are definite maybe's.

Go here and post:

http://www.owwm.org/viewforum.php?f=...0f1d034 5046f

There are hundreds/thousands of people that visit that site.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:13:59 AM UTC-7, jo4hn wrote:
[...]

Expect about 20-30 cents on the dollar of what you paid and craigs or ebay will eventually take them away. Pretty much requires very good luck to do any better than that although it is possible but not usually quickly. I was buying and selling a lot over the last few years as I upgraded al my equip and found it pretty consistent.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Talk to Scott at Battels Hd'we in Whittier.

562-698-3714

They do a brisk business in used tools.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:
[...]

California?

Housing is astonishingly high, taxes (sales, gasoline, cigarette, income,
etc.) are 50% higher than the national average, public service (cops,
firefighters, health inspectors, etc.) is starting to break down as cities
go bankrupt, things you've grown used to over the years can't be had for
love or money (oil-based paints, assault weapons, etc.), marauding aliens
threaten peace and prosperity, and there are hippies on every street corner
(not to mention more pot dispensaries than Starbucks).

Conversely, anything on the Gulf Coast (Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, or
Florida) and the southern east coast (Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas) would
love to have you and will strive to make your life pleasant.

Wherever you end up, best of luck to you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Expect about 20-30 cents on the dollar of what you paid and craigs or ebay will eventually take them away.

Pretty much requires very good luck to do any better than that although
it is possible but not usually quickly.
I was buying and selling a lot over the last few years as I upgraded al
my equip and found it pretty consistent.

It depends VERY much on the brand and the quality and the model.

Powermatic will bring top dollar.
Oneida will bring top dollar.
Delta will bring better than average depending on the model.

I wouldn't expect any less than 50% of retail for most of the above.

Craftsman and Grizzly not so much.

The numbers you mentioned for the above two are about right.