Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gluing boards for bed rail

I am going to make twin size pine bed. I do not have thick enough stock to make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood glue will they be strong enough for a bed rail?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 14, 2:15*pm, kuku wrote:

I am going to make twin size pine bed. I do not have thick enough stock to make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood glue will they be strong enough for a bed rail?

If the boards are deep(wide = greater dimension) enough, yes. If
they're not deep enough, no.

Deep enough in this case is probably a nominal 1x6 (3/4"x5.5"), with
the actual laminated dimension being 1.5" x 5.5" With doubled 1x4s
the thing would sag and bounce.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Anything less than 6" wide side rails would look ugly and cheap, also,
and will be weak (as R said). Agreed, 2X6 stock would be strong
enough.
Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 14, 2:15 pm, kuku wrote:

I am going to make twin size pine bed. I do not have thick enough
stock to make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood
glue will they be strong enough for a bed rail?

If the boards are deep(wide = greater dimension) enough, yes. If
they're not deep enough, no.

Deep enough in this case is probably a nominal 1x6 (3/4"x5.5"), with
the actual laminated dimension being 1.5" x 5.5" With doubled 1x4s
the thing would sag and bounce.

I wonder about that. The box spring is going to distribute the weight along
the entire rail, so it seems that sagging or bouncing should not really be a
problem. I'm thinking of these really cheap angle iron frames they sell
today and as chincey as they are, they don't sag or bounce.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 14, 2:15 pm, kuku wrote:

I am going to make twin size pine bed. I do not have thick enough
stock to make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood
glue will they be strong enough for a bed rail?

If the boards are deep(wide = greater dimension) enough, yes. If
they're not deep enough, no.

Deep enough in this case is probably a nominal 1x6 (3/4"x5.5"), with
the actual laminated dimension being 1.5" x 5.5" With doubled 1x4s
the thing would sag and bounce.

I wonder about that. The box spring is going to distribute the weight
along the entire rail, so it seems that sagging or bouncing should not
really be a problem. I'm thinking of these really cheap angle iron frames
they sell today and as chincey as they are, they don't sag or bounce.

--

agreed, doubled up 1x4 with angle iron making the lip, shouldn't move much
at all

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 14, 2:15 pm, kuku wrote:

[...]

That would certainly be stiff enough, but the OP didn't mention
steel. He asked a wood question and I gave him a wood answer. You're
also assuming there's a box spring. The OP didn't provide specifics
and might be planning on using some 1x slats to support the
mattress.

If he were willing to use steel and there was a box spring, then he
should just buy a steel bed frame. It'd be less expensive and less
time consuming and it would be covered so it wouldn't be seen. If
that were the case I'd think the OP would be asking about how to make
just head and foot boards.

If the thing is going to be seen, I agree with Sonny - skinny bed
rails look chintzy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 14, 2:15 pm, kuku wrote:

[...]

I was thinking more of just a 1 x 6. You're right - I did assume a box
spring - just seems to be the norm for a bed.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 14, 2:15 pm, kuku wrote:

[...]

You're assuming 'normal' for a REC post...? That was good for a
chortle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 14, 2:15 pm, kuku wrote:

[...]

Yea well, ya gotta have sumpthin to put the mattress on, they just don't
float on air.
And yes, skinny rails do look chintzy, but as you pointed out the OP didn't
specify much other than gluing 3/4 up.
So for ASSumption sake, we're all just assuming

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, July 14, 2012 4:42:36 PM UTC-4, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 14, 4:12*pm, "ChairMan" <nospam2@nospam2> wrote:
> "Mike Marlow" > wrote in message
> > RicodJour wrote:

> >> If the boards are deep(wide = greater dimension) enough, yes. *If
> >> they're not deep enough, no.
>
> >> Deep enough in this case is probably a nominal 1x6 (3/4"x5.5&quot, with
> >> the actual laminated dimension being 1.5" x 5.5" *With doubled 1x4s
> >> the thing would sag and bounce.
>
> > I wonder about that. *The box spring is going to distribute the weight
> > along the entire rail, so it seems that sagging or bouncing should not
> > really be a problem. *I'm thinking of these really cheap angle iron frames
> > they sell today and as chincey as they are, they don't sag or bounce.
>
> > --
>
> agreed, doubled up 1x4 with angle iron making the lip, shouldn't move much
> at all

That would certainly be stiff enough, but the OP didn't mention
steel. He asked a wood question and I gave him a wood answer. You're
also assuming there's a box spring. The OP didn't provide specifics
and might be planning on using some 1x slats to support the
mattress.

If he were willing to use steel and there was a box spring, then he
should just buy a steel bed frame. It'd be less expensive and less
time consuming and it would be covered so it wouldn't be seen. If
that were the case I'd think the OP would be asking about how to make
just head and foot boards.

If the thing is going to be seen, I agree with Sonny - skinny bed
rails look chintzy.

No box spring. I make a lip by gluing and screwing 2 pieces of 2" strips of plywood and the mattress support itself by poplar 1 X 6 boardsbetween the lips.

I actually made a couple of beds this way but I always has 1 1/2" stock for rails and posts.

I do not want to use any metal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, July 14, 2012 2:26:48 PM UTC-4, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 14, 2:15*pm, kuku > wrote:

> I am going to make twin size pine bed. I do not have thick enough stock to make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood glue will they be strong enough for a bed rail?

If the boards are deep(wide = greater dimension) enough, yes. If
they're not deep enough, no.

Deep enough in this case is probably a nominal 1x6 (3/4"x5.5&quot, with
the actual laminated dimension being 1.5" x 5.5" With doubled 1x4s
the thing would sag and bounce.

I plan to glue two 1" X 8" boards so actual rail and post dimension would be 1 1/2" X 7 1/2 " less 1/16" probably for sanding,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 14, 7:07*pm, kuku wrote:

I plan to glue two 1" X 8" boards so actual rail and post dimension would be 1 1/2" X 7 1/2 " less 1/16" probably for sanding,

That'd work, but it's heavier than you need. A 1x8 on edge is plenty
stiff vertically all by it's lonesome. In your situation I'd rip one
of the 1x8s down to get two or three equal pieces and laminate one
piece to the lower edge of each 1x8 to create the ledger. That would
beef up the lateral stiffness and you'd have a 1x8 left over for
another project.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jul 14, 2:15 pm, kuku wrote:

I am going to make twin size pine bed. I do not have thick enough stock
to make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood glue will
they be strong enough for a bed rail?

If the boards are deep(wide = greater dimension) enough, yes. If
they're not deep enough, no.

Deep enough in this case is probably a nominal 1x6 (3/4"x5.5"), with
the actual laminated dimension being 1.5" x 5.5" With doubled 1x4s
the thing would sag and bounce.

Geez... thinking back a number of decades a sagging and bouncing bed could
be viewed as a benefit in some circumstances.... ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

kuku wrote:

No box spring. I make a lip by gluing and screwing 2 pieces of 2"
strips of plywood and the mattress support itself by poplar 1 X 6
boardsbetween the lips.

I actually made a couple of beds this way but I always has 1 1/2"
stock for rails and posts.

I do not want to use any metal.

Ok - I have to admit total confusion. You have done this work before. You
have a working method. You posted very little information about your
current need/question. Just what in the hell are you even asking for?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:

Geez... thinking back a number of decades a sagging and bouncing bed
could be viewed as a benefit in some circumstances.... ;~)

Stop it!!!! Right Now!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 14, 10:19*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
kuku wrote:

No box spring. I make a lip by gluing and screwing 2 pieces of 2"
strips of plywood and the mattress support itself by poplar 1 X 6
boardsbetween the lips.

I actually made a couple of beds this way but I always has 1 1/2"
stock for rails and posts.

I do not want to use any metal.

Ok - I have to admit total confusion. *You have done this work before. *You
have a working method. *You posted very little information about your
current need/question. *Just what in the hell are you even asking for?

He was asking the hell whether a piece of laminated wood was as strong
as a solid piece of wood of the same dimension.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:19 pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
kuku wrote:

No box spring. I make a lip by gluing and screwing 2 pieces of 2"
strips of plywood and the mattress support itself by poplar 1 X 6
boardsbetween the lips.

I actually made a couple of beds this way but I always has 1 1/2"
stock for rails and posts.

I do not want to use any metal.

Ok - I have to admit total confusion. You have done this work
before. You have a working method. You posted very little
information about your current need/question. Just what in the hell
are you even asking for?

He was asking the hell whether a piece of laminated wood was as strong
as a solid piece of wood of the same dimension.

Ok - I did not get that out of his question. In fact, he asked the
following...

"I am going to make twin size pine bed. I do not have thick enough stock to
make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood glue will they be
strong enough for a bed rail?"

I don't see that to be the question you understand at all. It was you who
accused two of us of reading into his question...

--

-Mike-

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

kuku wrote:

[...]

In the original post he asked about laminating strength. In your
reply where you asked what the hell he was asking about, you quoted a
later post by the OP where he said he'd built beds before with thicker
lumber. I didn't have any information you didn't. In any event, he
got his answer and everyone is happy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 14, 11:42 pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 14, 10:19 pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
kuku wrote:

[...]

That is a streamlined version of this thread. No matter - this seems to be
about something it should not be.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 21:58:00 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jul 14, 2:15 pm, kuku wrote:

I am going to make twin size pine bed. I do not have thick enough stock
to make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood glue will
they be strong enough for a bed rail?

If the boards are deep(wide = greater dimension) enough, yes. If
they're not deep enough, no.

Deep enough in this case is probably a nominal 1x6 (3/4"x5.5"), with
the actual laminated dimension being 1.5" x 5.5" With doubled 1x4s
the thing would sag and bounce.

Geez... thinking back a number of decades a sagging and bouncing bed could
be viewed as a benefit in some circumstances.... ;~)

Until it gives way. ...happened to a friend on their wedding night. It was
quite embarrassing, "Hello, room service...". She said she hid in the bathroom
when they delivered the new bed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, July 14, 2012 11:15:01 AM UTC-7, kuku wrote:
I am going to make twin size pine bed. I do not have thick enough stock to make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood glue will they be strong enough for a bed rail?

Solid wood? Sure, in fact it'll give you some freedom to choose grain that's pretty
for the outer board, and will make knots less of a structural issue (as long
as the two boards don't have overlapping knots, of course).

It simplifies the step that holds the box springs, too; just offset the two boards.
Fill in the step you see from outside, with some decorative molding.

I'd predrill for screws, and use a dozen or two to clamp the joint, rather than trying to
find clamps for the whole length.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jul 14, 2:15 pm, kuku wrote:

I am going to make twin size pine bed. I do not have thick enough stock
to make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood glue will
they be strong enough for a bed rail?

If the boards are deep(wide = greater dimension) enough, yes. If
they're not deep enough, no.

Deep enough in this case is probably a nominal 1x6 (3/4"x5.5"), with
the actual laminated dimension being 1.5" x 5.5" With doubled 1x4s
the thing would sag and bounce.

Geez... thinking back a number of decades a sagging and bouncing bed could
be viewed as a benefit in some circumstances.... ;~)

Until it gives way. ...happened to a friend on their wedding night. It was
quite embarrassing, "Hello, room service...". She said she hid in the bathroom
when they delivered the new bed.

And no doubt the groom was acting proud as hell when the new bed was
delivered.

Yeah, but they said they'd just gotten to the room an plopped down on it when
it gave way. Of course, when he told the story everyone in the room said
"sssuuurrrreee, riiigghhhttt" (except his wife, who whacked him).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:54:42 -0400, "
And no doubt the groom was acting proud as hell when the new bed was
delivered.

Yeah, but they said they'd just gotten to the room an plopped down on it when
it gave way. Of course, when he told the story everyone in the room said
"sssuuurrrreee, riiigghhhttt" (except his wife, who whacked him).

Instant story stuff to add to the family archives. Could do worse.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
kuku wrote:
I am going to make twin size pine bed. I do not have thick enough stock
to make rails. If I glue two pieces of 3/4" boards using wood glue will
they be strong enough for a bed rail?

Yes, if they were wide enough and and short enough. But why not just buy
some dimensional lumber?
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Gluing long wide boards Sasha Woodworking 9 November 15th 07 11:42 AM
Knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and architraves Cordless Crazy UK diy 12 March 12th 06 02:11 PM
Gluing Purpleheart for cutting boards Ron Woodworking 8 October 24th 05 11:31 PM
Edge gluing boards Sammy Woodworking 17 October 12th 03 05:54 AM
fence installation tips needed (3-rail post & rail and wire mesh) Bring out the Gimp Home Repair 1 June 25th 03 12:47 AM