Posted to rec.woodworking

Default veneer

I have been told you can cut veneer on a band saw.

First; can you?

Would you cut it with the thin slice between the blade and the fence or
would the slice be on the open side of the blade. ie the block between
the blade and fence.

Sorry never had a band saw before now, and just thinking of doing veneer
work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle writes:
I have been told you can cut veneer on a band saw.

First; can you?

Yes.

Would you cut it with the thin slice between the blade and the fence

Yes.

or
would the slice be on the open side of the blade. ie the block between
the blade and fence.

With this method, you'd need to readjust the fence on each cut and
the veneers will not be uniform in thickness.

A woodslicer blade from Highland Hardware works well for this application.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 10, 5:17*pm, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I have been told you can cut veneer on a band saw.

First; can you?

Would you cut it with the thin slice between the blade and the fence or
would the slice be on the open side of the blade. ie the block between
the blade and fence.

Sorry never had a band saw before now, and just thinking of doing veneer
work.

Check out some videos on YouTube. That'll answer a lot more questions
than the two you asked.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/10/2012 6:40 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 10, 5:17 pm, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I have been told you can cut veneer on a band saw.

First; can you?

Would you cut it with the thin slice between the blade and the fence or
would the slice be on the open side of the blade. ie the block between
the blade and fence.

Sorry never had a band saw before now, and just thinking of doing veneer
work.

Check out some videos on YouTube. That'll answer a lot more questions
than the two you asked.

Thanks.

This is one of the unfortunate side effects on getting a great deal on a
use band saw.

I will have to be a little more careful in convincing my wife I need
another tool. I don't know why she though it was a good idea, the
table has been that way since we bought it 40 years ago.

But I do have a nice new saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/10/2012 4:17 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I have been told you can cut veneer on a band saw.

First; can you?

Would you cut it with the thin slice between the blade and the fence or
would the slice be on the open side of the blade. ie the block between
the blade and fence.

Sorry never had a band saw before now, and just thinking of doing veneer
work.

Yes you can and you have the advantage of cutting the veneer as thick as
you want. I have cut oak so thin that you could see through the holes
in the grain and I have cut maple veneer for a kitchen reface job 2/32"
thick. I cut 1/4" thick veneer to cover bed posts made from plywood.
You can cut it either way but I prefer to cut with the veneer falling
outside the blade and keeping the stock between the fence and the blade.
Supposedly this is the correct way and is the safer way. If you cut
with the veneer coming off between the blade and the fence the stock
tends to become tapered and the veneer seems to come out thicker on one
end than the other. Remember thin veneer has little support to not bow
and often will rub back into the blade.
Basically think about how you would cut thin pieces on you TS. You want
the thin stuff to be able to not get trapped against the blade, it can
bind and get gnarled up.

Yes you have to move the fence but you can simply attach a stop for this
purpose, Rockler sells a bearing stop for this purpose for about $15~$20.

Take a look here at the Laguna site, click on the "Perfect Cut" video
under the band saw section

http://www.lagunatools.com/videos

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can cut thins slice veneer with a band saw.
And yes you can do it either way. Most do it with the cut out away from
the fence and you need to adjust the fence each time. No big deal, you
set up a stop and move the fence and wood to that.

I have done both.. I don't have a problem either way.
You do lose support after the blade if you cut on the fence side.
I use a magnetic tool that has wings on it to push against the fence
before the blade when doing either cut. That way I don't let it drift
away. Be sure your saw is tuned, and your drift is adjusted for if you
use a fence. I now believe in a fence over a point. I can be more
accurate and consistent.

Use a good blade, I use the timberwolf.. others rave about the highland
woodslicer. Either are good. Stay away from the Olson, I can't get that
blade to cut consistently.

On 7/10/2012 5:17 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Would you cut it with the thin slice between the blade and the fence or
would the slice be on the open side of the blade. ie the block between
the blade and fence.

Sorry never had a band saw before now, and just thinking of doing veneer
work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:
I have been told you can cut veneer on a band saw.

First; can you?

Sure, assuming...

1. you have a decent bandsaw

2. you have a decent blade

3. you have a decent fence

4. you have adjusted the fence for drift

Given the above, slicing off veneer is pretty easy. It is easier from a
wide piece of wood than from a narrow one.

Would you cut it with the thin slice between the blade and the fence
or would the slice be on the open side of the blade. ie the block
between the blade and fence.

Either way. The former means you don't have to move the fence (at the price
of stability); the latter is more stabile but you have to move the fence for
each cut. Spend $395 for Laguna's Driftmaster fence and that is easy too.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 08:41:37 -0400, "dadiOH"
Either way. The former means you don't have to move the fence (at the price
of stability); the latter is more stabile but you have to move the fence for
each cut. Spend $395 for Laguna's Driftmaster fence and that is easy too.

Reminds me of a woodworking show I went to a few years back. One of
them was a Laguna dealer showcasing how it could cut 12" high veneer
strips off a piece of wood that were less than 1/16" thick. You could
hold the veneers up to a light and actually see the brightness of the
light through them.

Guessing that some other brands of bandsaws can do this, but it really
impressed me about Laguna brand bandsaws. When the time comes for my
to buy a bandsaw, Laguna will be the first brand I'll consider.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/11/2012 9:33 AM, Dave wrote:

Reminds me of a woodworking show I went to a few years back. One of
them was a Laguna dealer showcasing how it could cut 12" high veneer
strips off a piece of wood that were less than 1/16" thick. You could
hold the veneers up to a light and actually see the brightness of the
light through them.

Guessing that some other brands of bandsaws can do this, but it really
impressed me about Laguna brand bandsaws. When the time comes for my
to buy a bandsaw, Laguna will be the first brand I'll consider.

Or know someone who owns one ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:33:51 -0400, Dave wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 08:41:37 -0400, "dadiOH"
Either way. The former means you don't have to move the fence (at the price
of stability); the latter is more stabile but you have to move the fence for
each cut. Spend $395 for Laguna's Driftmaster fence and that is easy too.

Reminds me of a woodworking show I went to a few years back. One of
them was a Laguna dealer showcasing how it could cut 12" high veneer
strips off a piece of wood that were less than 1/16" thick. You could
hold the veneers up to a light and actually see the brightness of the
light through them.

I saw that demo at a WoodCraft store.

Guessing that some other brands of bandsaws can do this, but it really
impressed me about Laguna brand bandsaws. When the time comes for my
to buy a bandsaw, Laguna will be the first brand I'll consider.

Ditto. I was about to pull the trigger (14SUV) last fall but lost my job at
the end of August. Kinda reset the whole thing. Once I get the house sold...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:50:36 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/11/2012 9:33 AM, Dave wrote:

Reminds me of a woodworking show I went to a few years back. One of
them was a Laguna dealer showcasing how it could cut 12" high veneer
strips off a piece of wood that were less than 1/16" thick. You could
hold the veneers up to a light and actually see the brightness of the
light through them.

Guessing that some other brands of bandsaws can do this, but it really
impressed me about Laguna brand bandsaws. When the time comes for my
to buy a bandsaw, Laguna will be the first brand I'll consider.

Or know someone who owns one ...

Like a pool, boat, or lake house? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/11/2012 9:50 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/11/2012 9:33 AM, Dave wrote:

Reminds me of a woodworking show I went to a few years back. One of
them was a Laguna dealer showcasing how it could cut 12" high veneer
strips off a piece of wood that were less than 1/16" thick. You could
hold the veneers up to a light and actually see the brightness of the
light through them.

Guessing that some other brands of bandsaws can do this, but it really
impressed me about Laguna brand bandsaws. When the time comes for my
to buy a bandsaw, Laguna will be the first brand I'll consider.

Or know someone who owns one ...

And always available for that special need when it comes.!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 10, 7:48*pm, Leon

Take a look here at the Laguna site, click on the "Perfect Cut" video
under the band saw section

http://www.lagunatools.com/videos

That was a good video. I learned something. Thanks Leon.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:50:36 -0500, Swingman wrote:
When the time comes for my
to buy a bandsaw, Laguna will be the first brand I'll consider.

Or know someone who owns one ...

Then you better not let Leon know why you keep him as a friend.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:25:10 -0400, "
Ditto. I was about to pull the trigger (14SUV) last fall but lost my job at
the end of August. Kinda reset the whole thing. Once I get the house sold...

No need to do that. Just make sure you live reasonably close to
Leon...

~ like Swingman does.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/11/2012 7:03 PM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:25:10 -0400, "
Ditto. I was about to pull the trigger (14SUV) last fall but lost my job at
the end of August. Kinda reset the whole thing. Once I get the house sold...

No need to do that. Just make sure you live reasonably close to
Leon...

~ like Swingman does.

Problem is, he keeps moving further away ...

Like, he's trying to tell you something. LOL

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 20:32:58 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Problem is, he keeps moving further away ...

Like, he's trying to tell you something. LOL

You better start feeding him better dinners then. What was the last
one?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/11/2012 7:03 PM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:25:10 -0400, "
Ditto. I was about to pull the trigger (14SUV) last fall but lost my job at
the end of August. Kinda reset the whole thing. Once I get the house sold...

No need to do that. Just make sure you live reasonably close to
Leon...

~ like Swingman does.

Problem is, he keeps moving further away ...

Like, he's trying to tell you something. LOL

Like he want's more left overs from the corned beef and cabbage.

LOL

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/11/2012 2:16 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Jul 10, 7:48 pm, Leon

Take a look here at the Laguna site, click on the "Perfect Cut" video
under the band saw section

http://www.lagunatools.com/videos

That was a good video. I learned something. Thanks Leon.

Sonny

Don't mention it! There is a lot of good stuff there.

Veneer? cavelamb himself[_2_] Woodworking 6 August 6th 07 05:15 AM
Using my veneer trim or chamfer bits to make a veneer arris bent Woodworking 0 December 27th 06 04:00 AM
Which veneer? Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 12 August 29th 06 12:26 AM
Oak Veneer Mike S Woodworking 2 July 20th 05 11:49 PM
veneer John Grossbohlin Woodworking 1 July 3rd 05 07:15 PM