Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default veneer

On 7/10/2012 4:17 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I have been told you can cut veneer on a band saw.

First; can you?

Would you cut it with the thin slice between the blade and the fence or
would the slice be on the open side of the blade. ie the block between
the blade and fence.

Sorry never had a band saw before now, and just thinking of doing veneer
work.

Yes you can and you have the advantage of cutting the veneer as thick as
you want. I have cut oak so thin that you could see through the holes
in the grain and I have cut maple veneer for a kitchen reface job 2/32"
thick. I cut 1/4" thick veneer to cover bed posts made from plywood.
You can cut it either way but I prefer to cut with the veneer falling
outside the blade and keeping the stock between the fence and the blade.
Supposedly this is the correct way and is the safer way. If you cut
with the veneer coming off between the blade and the fence the stock
tends to become tapered and the veneer seems to come out thicker on one
end than the other. Remember thin veneer has little support to not bow
and often will rub back into the blade.
Basically think about how you would cut thin pieces on you TS. You want
the thin stuff to be able to not get trapped against the blade, it can
bind and get gnarled up.

Yes you have to move the fence but you can simply attach a stop for this
purpose, Rockler sells a bearing stop for this purpose for about $15~$20.

Take a look here at the Laguna site, click on the "Perfect Cut" video
under the band saw section

http://www.lagunatools.com/videos