Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What typical finishes were used on pianos?

My neighbor had a gift piano moved, and unfortunately, the movers put a
leaky tarp on it and it got wet. Then my neighbors didn't uncover it as
soon as it arrived and it sat, covered and wet, for days. Now, of
course, it looks awful.

However, even though the finish is ruined, any veneers don't seem to
have lifted, which is good.

What typical finishes were used on older pianos? I suggested she test
for shellac with some denatured alcohol and a bit of rag. If it wasn't
shellacked, what other finishes might have been used, and how could she
proceed in refinishing it? I almost exclusively use shellac, danish
oil, or spar varnish for bright finishes, and there my experience ends.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

What does her damage look like? White cloudy film? White spots?
Black spots?

Try rubbing an inconspicuous spot with lacquer thinner, to see if the
finish is lacquer.

Grand pianos can have a lacquer finish and/or rubbed oil finish.
Black lacquer was/is a long time favorite.... often a dozen or 2 or 3
of polished in coats.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/8/2012 10:39 AM, Sonny wrote:
What does her damage look like? White cloudy film? White spots?
Black spots?

Try rubbing an inconspicuous spot with lacquer thinner, to see if the
finish is lacquer.

Grand pianos can have a lacquer finish and/or rubbed oil finish.
Black lacquer was/is a long time favorite.... often a dozen or 2 or 3
of polished in coats.

Not really cloudy. Very dull, roughened, sort of wrinkly in spots.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/8/2012 12:51 PM, scritch wrote:
On 7/8/2012 10:39 AM, Sonny wrote:
What does her damage look like? White cloudy film? White spots?
Black spots?

Try rubbing an inconspicuous spot with lacquer thinner, to see if the
finish is lacquer.

Grand pianos can have a lacquer finish and/or rubbed oil finish.
Black lacquer was/is a long time favorite.... often a dozen or 2 or 3
of polished in coats.

Not really cloudy. Very dull, roughened, sort of wrinkly in spots.

The same test you used for shellac (applying a small amount of alcohol) should
also work for lacquer (apply a small amount of lacquer thinner). If it's
lacquer, the finish will dissolve in the same manner as shellac (and then "dry"
back to a cured state). Sounds to me like it's probably an oil based varnish
of some kind. Lacquer thinner might also attack that (or not), but in that
case the finish would not dissolve but would break down, congeal, and be ruined.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"scritch" wrote:

My neighbor had a gift piano moved, and unfortunately, the movers
put a
leaky tarp on it and it got wet. Then my neighbors didn't uncover
it as
soon as it arrived and it sat, covered and wet, for days. Now, of
course, it looks awful.

Hope the mover is insured.

Law suits are a PITA.

Lew

Finishes.... Sean Woodworking Plans and Photos 7 April 10th 07 11:18 AM
Hight Gloss Finishes for on top of oil based finishes? That are easy to use redice Woodworking 18 June 8th 06 04:39 PM
epoxy and finishes Dee Woodworking 1 August 7th 05 02:37 PM
Finishes [email protected] Woodworking 5 June 17th 05 05:03 AM
Oil Finishes JeffB Woodworking 20 April 11th 05 04:55 PM