Posted to rec.woodworking
scritch scritch is offline

Default What typical finishes were used on pianos?

On 7/8/2012 5:12 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article , says...

My neighbor had a gift piano moved, and unfortunately, the movers put a
leaky tarp on it and it got wet. Then my neighbors didn't uncover it as
soon as it arrived and it sat, covered and wet, for days. Now, of
course, it looks awful.

However, even though the finish is ruined, any veneers don't seem to
have lifted, which is good.

What typical finishes were used on older pianos? I suggested she test
for shellac with some denatured alcohol and a bit of rag. If it wasn't
shellacked, what other finishes might have been used, and how could she
proceed in refinishing it? I almost exclusively use shellac, danish
oil, or spar varnish for bright finishes, and there my experience ends.

Scritch, before you try to refinish, try working on the rough spots with
Restor-a-finish and 0000 steel wool. Read the instructions carefully.

http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-restor-a-finish.php.

If it doesn't work, then you can refinish. The stuff has fixed some
amazing messes for me though.

Home Depot, True-Value and DoItBest hardware stores generally have it.

Might be worth a try. I'll suggest it and see what happens. However,
the "rough spots" are the whole piano. The only good finish left is
inside the keyboard cover.