Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Staples question

I have a DeWalt air powered stapler. Not a very big one, I'd have to go out
in the shop and get the number, but I would estimate the staples to be about
1/4" wide, maybe a little less if they are rated on a ga. system. They are
crown.

Can I use flat staples in it? Those that have a top made of right angles?
I need to staple some fabric to the plywood of a boat seat, and want it to
be flat without having to pound them in, and perhaps have them tear more of
a hole in the fabric than they already do. I do have a couple of Arrow
staplers if I need to go to those, and they have the right angle staples,
but air is so much easier.

Can I get the other shape of staples in the same size, and will they work in
it? Do they make the two shapes?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

My experience is that 1/4 inch staples pull through frabric pretty easily.
Of course whether they will be useable on any particlular project depends
on the type of fabric and the stress it will be subjected to. If you have
a HF near you I recommend this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-gaug...ler-68029.html

I've had an older version for several years now that has never given
me any trouble. Once you get one you'll start finding more and more
uses for it. Note that these use 1/2" wide staples. The hand operated
Arrow staplers use 7/16" wide staples and they are not compatible. Some
other brands of hand staplers do use 1/2" though.

small staples/gun Ralph Compton Woodworking 8 January 16th 12 02:17 PM
Staples Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 8 May 4th 09 11:03 AM
Nail gun staples The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 1 November 2nd 06 03:01 PM
U staples Eigenvector Home Repair 5 June 16th 06 10:14 PM
Where to get staples [email protected] Home Repair 12 December 3rd 05 11:15 AM