Posted to rec.woodworking

Default small staples/gun

My neighbor has a little craft project she wants my help with. She showed
me a little 5.5" square plaque made with 1/4" mdf. It had a little bevel
edge treatment, painted, and a cutsie little saying printed out and glued to
the front. This was intended to be hung on a wall (or door) with a ribbon
that had been stapled to the back of the plaque.

Anyway, she wanted a bunch of these. Gifts for gal friends at church. I'll
cut up the mdf and bevel it, she'll paint and decopauge (sic?), and I'll
attach the ribbon. If I can find a source for these small staples and a gun
to shoot them.

Cutting up the 1/4" mdf and putting a small bevel on the 64 plaques was no
problem at all. Finding a stapler and staples is a nightmare. I will be
attaching the ribbon on the backside of the plaque and definitely don't want
to shoot through the front side.

So, what I need is a staple that is 1/4" wide and maybe 3/16 or 7/32 deep.
And a staple gun to shoot these.
I know they exist as I've seen them. Today I was at JoAnns (a chain craft
supply shop) and I saw a product that had their labels attached with just
such a staple (product from China, where else?). Also, the sample my
neighbor provided.

I've done some Googling but no luck so far. I'll keep looking but would
sure appreciate any information any of you can provide.

Thanks, Ralph

Posted to rec.woodworking

How about something other than staples? Super glue (the gel type)?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ralph Compton" wrote in message
m...
[...]

The crown is wider, but you might want to consider something like a Boston
135 or Stanley Bostach Extra Heavy Duty Stapler. For example

http://www.staples.com/Stanley-Bosti...product_472522
http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...ra-Heavy-Duty/

I've got a Boston 135 and I imagine that with 1/4" staples and a few layers
of ribbon, with maybe a piece of thin cardboard, that it would work for what
you are doing. I've stapled 80+ sheets of paper with mine and I believe
they rate it for up to 100 pages. No small feat! I just took it to my shop
and had no problem sinking staples in white oak... easier than a thick wad
of paper actually. MDF might be easier yet!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Why get a specialize stapler? ..... suitable for only one project?

Pneumatic upholstery staple guns shoot 1/4" - 5/8" staples. They are
available at Harbor Freight for $20. A small air compressor shouldn't
be too expensive, compared to those above mentioned Stanley-Bostitch
staplers. An upholstery stapler and air compressor will be there for
other projects, too, beyond your immediate project.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Good Idea!! I have an air stapler but it shoots a minimum 1/2" leg staple,
have some air nailers too. But the upholstery stapler is something I wasn't
thinking about. Already have air compressors too. I'll try HF tomorrow.

A good glue would probably work too but am thinking that with 64 of these to
do a stapler would be faster.

Ralph

"Sonny" wrote in message
Why get a specialize stapler? ..... suitable for only one project?

Pneumatic upholstery staple guns shoot 1/4" - 5/8" staples. They are
available at Harbor Freight for $20. A small air compressor shouldn't
be too expensive, compared to those above mentioned Stanley-Bostitch
staplers. An upholstery stapler and air compressor will be there for
other projects Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2012 7:04 PM, Ralph Compton wrote:
[...]

have her hot glue them ribbon hangars on.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:04:54 -0800, "Ralph Compton"
wrote:

[...]

The shortest 1/4" crown stapler I've seen is half an inch long.
How about 3/8" crown? They come in shorter lengths.
http://www.harborfreight.com/three-w...kit-96755.html
http://goo.gl/NgHdd http://goo.gl/68Gb2

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington
Posted to rec.woodworking

Should you get a pneumatic stapler, the air pressure needed for the
longer staples is at least 70 psi, usually more like 100 psi is needed
when stapling into hard woods. For 1/4" staples, you might consider
setting your regulator at a lower psi for the 1/4" MDF. I've never
stapled 1/4" MDF, so I dont know how brittle it is, but it may crack/
split if you hit it with 70 or greater psi... I'm thinking thin MDF
may be somewhat as brittle as thin particle board, i.e, easy to
break. Test a scrap MDF piece before committing to your finish
project. Maybe lay the 1/4" MDF on top of a solid backing/table,
before stapling, to limit the prospect of cracking.

My rational for this is when I staple fabric onto thin face panels,
for the front face of arms of chairs, sofas, etc. Sometimes those
thin panels (cardboard, paper-type board, etc.) buckle/break under the
pressure of my normal air pressure setting (usually about 100 psi),
hence having to make new panels with a more substantial wooden board.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2012 8:04 PM, Ralph Compton wrote:

So, what I need is a staple that is 1/4" wide and maybe 3/16 or 7/32
deep. And a staple gun to shoot these.

I see staples as short as 9/32 listed for Arrow T-25 guns. This is their
"low-voltage wire" stapler, designed to staple audio, video and data
wiring to walls. I believe it takes both square and round crown staples.

Source of small T nails and staples? EricP UK diy 15 December 26th 14 10:21 PM
Small quantities of construction staples? mike Home Repair 7 October 5th 11 09:31 AM
Staples Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 8 May 4th 09 11:03 AM
U staples Eigenvector Home Repair 5 June 16th 06 10:14 PM
Where to get staples [email protected] Home Repair 12 December 3rd 05 11:15 AM