Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Wheelchair

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the accident that put me in this
wheel chair. Still have a couple of surgeries left to go but I did manage to
walk about 10 feet a few days ago. Hopefully, it won't be to much longer
before I can get back in the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 13:16:20 -0700, "CW" wrote:

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the accident that put me in this
wheel chair. Still have a couple of surgeries left to go but I did manage to
walk about 10 feet a few days ago. Hopefully, it won't be to much longer
before I can get back in the shop.

That's good news. I hope you see lots more progress soon!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 13:16:20 -0700, "CW" wrote:

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the accident that put me in this
wheel chair. Still have a couple of surgeries left to go but I did manage to
walk about 10 feet a few days ago. Hopefully, it won't be to much longer
before I can get back in the shop.

That's great news, CW! Congratulations.

--
Stain and poly are their own punishment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 13:16:20 -0700, "CW" wrote:

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the accident that put me in this
wheel chair. Still have a couple of surgeries left to go but I did manage to
walk about 10 feet a few days ago. Hopefully, it won't be to much longer
before I can get back in the shop.

Did my stint in awheel chair to. First thing was just finally being
able to use the bathroom by myself. Keep up the work once you start
walking again you'll just keep getting stronger.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/17/12 3:16 PM, CW wrote:
Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the accident that put me in
this wheel chair. Still have a couple of surgeries left to go but I did
manage to walk about 10 feet a few days ago. Hopefully, it won't be to
much longer before I can get back in the shop.

Keep up the good work! We're all rooting for you.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 6/17/12 3:16 PM, CW wrote:
Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the accident that put me in
this wheel chair. Still have a couple of surgeries left to go but I did
manage to walk about 10 feet a few days ago. Hopefully, it won't be to
much longer before I can get back in the shop.

Keep up the good work! We're all rooting for you.

Ditto ...

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike M" wrote in message

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 13:16:20 -0700, "CW" wrote:

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the accident that put me in this
wheel chair. Still have a couple of surgeries left to go but I did manage
walk about 10 feet a few days ago. Hopefully, it won't be to much longer
before I can get back in the shop.

Did my stint in awheel chair to. First thing was just finally being
able to use the bathroom by myself.
I know how that is. My wife appreciated that too.
Keep up the work once you start
walking again you'll just keep getting stronger.
Yes, I'm more than just a bit excited. Finally seeing an end to this. I
would have been 6 months further along if I had a competent doctor in the
first place or he had just admitted that he didn't know what he was doing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You have the advantage of seeing how it is to lose your mobility and
then gain it back. I hope you appreciate what your journey has taught you.

Good luck on your recovery.

On 6/17/2012 4:16 PM, CW wrote:
Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the accident that put me in
this wheel chair. Still have a couple of surgeries left to go but I did
manage to walk about 10 feet a few days ago. Hopefully, it won't be to
much longer before I can get back in the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote:

snip

Hopefully, it won't be to much longer before I can get back in the
shop.

Best of luck with your rehab back.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/17/2012 4:16 PM, CW wrote:
Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the accident that put me in
this wheel chair. Still have a couple of surgeries left to go but I did
manage to walk about 10 feet a few days ago. Hopefully, it won't be to
much longer before I can get back in the shop.

Not to chime with a "me too" but I came within a nats breath of being in
your condition. One of the things I learned was, "Anytime you can put one
foot in front of another, you are ahead of the game."

That being said, those ten feet are huge and I rejoice with you. As you
know, the road back is filled with a lot of hard work. But the good news
is, you can see a time in your life without the chair, I know several who do
not have that hope. Which takes me back to the first comment.

I am soooooo glad to hear the good news.

All the best.

Deb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/17/2012 3:16 PM, CW wrote:
Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the accident that put me in
this wheel chair. Still have a couple of surgeries left to go but I did
manage to walk about 10 feet a few days ago. Hopefully, it won't be to
much longer before I can get back in the shop.

Hurayyyyyyyyyyy. Nice fathers day present!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Let your Occupational & Physical Therapists know your
needs and they may be able to get you back earlier and
easier.
My wife's an OT and there's a lot of stuff she's figured
out how I can do one handed.

"CW" wrote in message
m...
Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the accident that put me in this
wheel chair. Still have a couple of surgeries left to go but I did manage
to walk about 10 feet a few days ago. Hopefully, it won't be to much
longer before I can get back in the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:18:55 -0500, "Joe"
invalid wrote:

My wife's an OT and there's a lot of stuff she's figured
out how I can do one handed.

I learned that by 5th grade. It did not make me go blind, but I do
wear glasses.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 18:35:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
My wife's an OT and there's a lot of stuff she's figured
out how I can do one handed.

I learned that by 5th grade. It did not make me go blind, but I do
wear glasses.

5th grade eh? Guess you were an early starter. I seem to remember the
6th grade are my year for 'discovery'.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" wrote in message

You have the advantage of seeing how it is to lose your mobility and
then gain it back. I hope you appreciate what your journey has taught you.
================================================== ==============================
Yes, having seen things from both sides is an eye opening experience.
Something else this situation has thought me. A doctor can screw up as much
as he wants and, as long a you can go somewhere else and have his screw ups
fixed, there is no legal recourse.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 6/17/2012 3:16 PM, CW wrote:
Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the accident that put me in
this wheel chair. Still have a couple of surgeries left to go but I did
manage to walk about 10 feet a few days ago. Hopefully, it won't be to
much longer before I can get back in the shop.

Hurayyyyyyyyyyy. Nice fathers day present
Thanks but I'm not a father.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message

Let your Occupational & Physical Therapists know your
needs and they may be able to get you back earlier and
easier.
My wife's an OT and there's a lot of stuff she's figured
out how I can do one handed.
Prior to this accident, I had never been in the hospital before. Not having
any experience with this kind of thing, I have been surprised by the things
that they can do for you. One of them is, as you mention, therapists. They
can make life so much easier by showing how to do things that seemed
impossible before. I started out in the worst hospital in the state. Ended
up in the best. Wish I had gone to the good one from the beginning. This
whole ordeal would have been so much easier than it has been.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 18:35:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
My wife's an OT and there's a lot of stuff she's figured
out how I can do one handed.

I learned that by 5th grade. It did not make me go blind, but I do
wear glasses.

5th grade eh? Guess you were an early starter. I seem to remember the
6th grade are my year for 'discovery'.
Odd where a thread can stray to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/17/2012 4:16 PM, CW wrote:
Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the accident that put me in
this wheel chair. Still have a couple of surgeries left to go but I did
manage to walk about 10 feet a few days ago. Hopefully, it won't be to
much longer before I can get back in the shop.

I'm reasonably handy, but only a novice woodworker. I had a health issue
of my own that largely incapacitated me for more than six months. (I've
been better for almost a year and a half now).

During that time I practically dreamed of being able to do little
repairs around the house. One day I decided I felt strong enough to take
on a "ten minute project". We have a shallow linen closet, one of whose
shelves is devoted to a large number of small objects: hair products,
soap etc. As the shelf is overcrowded, it's hard to get any one thing
without knocking over the rest. I decided to add a lip to it.

I had a pine slat that I salvaged from the remnants of my daughter's old
IKEA bed frame. Cut it to length, a few screws, done, right?. A ten
minute job at most.

At the time just climbing a flight of stairs was a major undertaking.
The closet is upstairs; the tools downstairs. A trip to get a tape
measure, another to cut the wood. A third to cut the @!%$# wood again.
Ridiculous as it sounds, I needed to rest between each minor step in
the process.

Finally I had the slat cut and the screwholes predrilled and
countersunk. I trudged my way upstairs with a cordless drill and screws.
I held the wood up to the shelf and started to drive the first screw.
The drill ground to a halt halfway in, with a sickly groan. Due to
disuse, I guess, the drill's battery had become as weak as I was. I
rested up some more before going downstairs to charge the drill.

I finished the "project" a mere four hours after I started, but somehow
it was still encouraging; a minor taste of accomplishment after a long
hiatus.

Baby steps. Each one a little victory. I wish you all the best.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:

I finished the "project" a mere four hours after I started, but somehow
it was still encouraging; a minor taste of accomplishment after a long
hiatus.

Baby steps. Each one a little victory. I wish you all the best.

Congratulations! I thoroughly understand your "@!%$#" for cutting the
wood the 2nd time. I guess that's why God gave us a sense of humor! %-)

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/20/2012 4:07 PM, Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

I finished the "project" a mere four hours after I started, but somehow
it was still encouraging; a minor taste of accomplishment after a long
hiatus.

Baby steps. Each one a little victory. I wish you all the best.

Congratulations! I thoroughly understand your "@!%$#" for cutting the
wood the 2nd time. I guess that's why God gave us a sense of humor! %-)

Bill

Humor is important to me. I fancy myself a funny guy. I had lost my
sense of humor for a while during my illness. Worse, I *knew* I had.
Having a sense of humor isn't so much about about *saying* funny things,
it's about recognizing the absurdity all around us; for instance, a
weakened man using a still weaker drill. That made me chuckle, even at
the time. I took it as a sign that I was on my way back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/20/2012 4:21 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 6/20/2012 4:07 PM, Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

I finished the "project" a mere four hours after I started, but somehow
it was still encouraging; a minor taste of accomplishment after a long
hiatus.

Baby steps. Each one a little victory. I wish you all the best.

Congratulations! I thoroughly understand your "@!%$#" for cutting the
wood the 2nd time. I guess that's why God gave us a sense of humor! %-)

Bill

Humor is important to me. I fancy myself a funny guy. I had lost my
sense of humor for a while during my illness. Worse, I *knew* I had.
Having a sense of humor isn't so much about about *saying* funny things,
it's about recognizing the absurdity all around us; for instance, a
weakened man using a still weaker drill. That made me chuckle, even at
the time. I took it as a sign that I was on my way back.

Our minds don't seem to change, but our bodies sure do. Amazing how,
after a certain age, each passing year puts a dent in actual physical
capacity, but not in our perceived capability.

Never one to back away from any physical challenge, during a college
boxing event I volunteered to spar an exhibition round with a world
heavyweight contender at the time, Cleveland "The Big Cat" Williams. (I
tried not to hit him too hard, didn't want to **** him off)

Now, even though I still _think_ I could kick someone's ass, I'm
basically tickled pink when I get a full sheet of 3/4 plywood out of the
truck by myself.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/20/2012 4:07 PM, Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

[...]

I have observed beer to magnify the difference even more! %-)

Never one to back away from any physical challenge, during a college
boxing event I volunteered to spar an exhibition round with a world
heavyweight contender at the time, Cleveland "The Big Cat" Williams. (I
tried not to hit him too hard, didn't want to **** him off)

And all this time, I thought "Swingman" was a musical reference!

DuckBill

Now, even though I still _think_ I could kick someone's ass, I'm
basically tickled pink when I get a full sheet of 3/4 plywood out of the
truck by myself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/20/2012 4:07 PM, Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

[...]

One of the reasons I got the Festool track saw. I just have to get it
down on my 2" styrafoam pad. Also paid someone to do the sheet rock
in the shop expansion. 30 years ago in the first shop build we put up
4x12 sheets on the ceiling, now I would need lift equipment. 8-))

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Never one to back away from any physical challenge, during a college
boxing event I volunteered to spar an exhibition round with a world
heavyweight contender at the time, Cleveland "The Big Cat" Williams. (I
tried not to hit him too hard, didn't want to **** him off)

And all this time, I thought "Swingman" was a musical reference!

You would be right on both counts.

--
www.ewoodshop.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 20, 5:59*pm, Swingman wrote:

Our minds don't seem to change, but our bodies sure do. Amazing how,
after a certain age, each passing year puts a dent in actual physical
capacity, but not in our perceived capability.

Due to the health issue I mentioned, I was treated to a roller coaster
ride as regards apparent age and vigor. I went from middle-aged and
quite out of shape to (effectively) aged and enfeebled in the space
of a few months, only to recover (again in just a few months), and
find myself forty pounds lighter. Since then I've taken to walking 20
miles a week. It's been over a year. Although still no physical
specimen, I'm in better shape now than I have been in 15 years. Life
can be a pretty weird ride.