Posted to rec.woodworking

Default finish stapler for cabinet backs

I'm considering getting a finish stapler like the Bostitch sb-150sx to
fasten 1/4" ply cabinet backs to carcasses. I use the Bostitch as an
example because I've been using their 16 and 18 gauge nailers and really
like them a lot.
Is stapling a good way to attach cabinet backs? I currently use screws
but stapling would be faster (and more fun).
Is the 7/32" crown staple reasonable, or is that too narrow?
What length of staple would hold well?
Are there other uses for this stapler (the wife asks)?

John S.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/4/2012 1:54 PM, John Shear wrote:
I'm considering getting a finish stapler like the Bostitch sb-150sx to
fasten 1/4" ply cabinet backs to carcasses. I use the Bostitch as an
example because I've been using their 16 and 18 gauge nailers and really
like them a lot.
Is stapling a good way to attach cabinet backs? I currently use screws
but stapling would be faster (and more fun).
Is the 7/32" crown staple reasonable, or is that too narrow?
What length of staple would hold well?
Are there other uses for this stapler (the wife asks)?

John S.

I have a similar stapler and bought it for one specific purpose to
staple soffit vent trim around a storage shed. That was about 8 years
ago. I have not used the gun since.

I don't want to staple any thing that I might have half a chance of
needing to remove later.

I used to brad nail backs on cabinets but have switched to 1/2" self
taping screws. Stronger, looks better, and easier to deal with should I
decide to remove the backs for refinishing in the future.
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"John Shear" wrote in message
b.com...
I'm considering getting a finish stapler like the Bostitch sb-150sx to
fasten 1/4" ply cabinet backs to carcasses. I use the Bostitch as an
example because I've been using their 16 and 18 gauge nailers and really
like them a lot.
Is stapling a good way to attach cabinet backs? I currently use screws but
stapling would be faster (and more fun).
Is the 7/32" crown staple reasonable, or is that too narrow?
What length of staple would hold well?
Are there other uses for this stapler (the wife asks)?

John S.

I bought a 1/4" crown stapler for limited use, I find that it is
indispensable for many things, and gets used more than I imagined
particularly for thin goods. I have even bought another that can use staples
up to 1 1/2" long. Between the two, I have used them for installing plywood
underlay, cabinet backs, even strapping on a ceiling (4 staples per joist
equals 8 nails, to test it I hung my 225 lb. weight from one joist and they
held me), the crown and double legs do not rip out of thin materials. Only
screws would be better but much slower in installation and costlier.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Shear wrote:
I'm considering getting a finish stapler like the Bostitch sb-150sx to
fasten 1/4" ply cabinet backs to carcasses. I use the Bostitch as an
example because I've been using their 16 and 18 gauge nailers and really
like them a lot.
Is stapling a good way to attach cabinet backs? I currently use screws
but stapling would be faster (and more fun).
Is the 7/32" crown staple reasonable, or is that too narrow?
What length of staple would hold well?
Are there other uses for this stapler (the wife asks)?

John S.

When I insulated the storage half of my shop I put up 1/2 " foil
backed Styrofoam, foil side down, with all edges meeting on two by's.
I tacked it up with staples (same gun as you mention). then I laid
2" Styrofoam on top between the joists. I finished it up using 1/4 x
2 inch strips to cover the joints and put this up with longer staples.
Hasn't given any problems after 10 years.

My back yard fence is put up using screws, but then a neighbor with 3
kids moved in next door and their back yard came up behind my shop. I
put in posts and horizontals with nails and put up dog-ear fencing
with staples. The boards are on their side and it keeps them from
climbing on the fence. I believe I used 1/4 crown staples on that.
It went up very quickly.

--
G.W. Ross

Famous last words: 'Don't worry, it
doesn't eat meat!'

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/04/12 2:54 PM, John Shear wrote:
I'm considering getting a finish stapler like the Bostitch sb-150sx to
fasten 1/4" ply cabinet backs to carcasses. I use the Bostitch as an
example because I've been using their 16 and 18 gauge nailers and really
like them a lot.
Is stapling a good way to attach cabinet backs? I currently use screws
but stapling would be faster (and more fun).
Is the 7/32" crown staple reasonable, or is that too narrow?
What length of staple would hold well?
Are there other uses for this stapler (the wife asks)?

I have a bostitch brad/stapler combo, can't remember the model number,
mainly use it for the brad nailer, but I did put some carpet down on the
stairs to the basement with the staples, it did the job quite well.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use a 1/4" stapler for that.
It's more secure than brads.

I wasn't sure if I would like it better than screws, and I do.
I have been using it for a few years and for me it's the way to go.

On 6/4/2012 2:54 PM, John Shear wrote:
I'm considering getting a finish stapler like the Bostitch sb-150sx to
fasten 1/4" ply cabinet backs to carcasses. I use the Bostitch as an
example because I've been using their 16 and 18 gauge nailers and really
like them a lot.
Is stapling a good way to attach cabinet backs? I currently use screws
but stapling would be faster (and more fun).
Is the 7/32" crown staple reasonable, or is that too narrow?
What length of staple would hold well?
Are there other uses for this stapler (the wife asks)?

John S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I wouldn't think brad nails would hold thin material on too well.
Do the self-tapping screws recess into the back panel so they don't
interfere with mounting to a wall? What kind of head so they don't tear
through the thin material?

Btw, I will be building a shed one day and might need to staple the
soffit

John S.

On 06/04/2012 02:02 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/4/2012 1:54 PM, John Shear wrote:
I'm considering getting a finish stapler like the Bostitch sb-150sx to
fasten 1/4" ply cabinet backs to carcasses. I use the Bostitch as an
example because I've been using their 16 and 18 gauge nailers and really
like them a lot.
Is stapling a good way to attach cabinet backs? I currently use screws
but stapling would be faster (and more fun).
Is the 7/32" crown staple reasonable, or is that too narrow?
What length of staple would hold well?
Are there other uses for this stapler (the wife asks)?

I almost always use 1/4"crown staples (1/2" length) for 1/4 ply cabinet
backs ... at least twice the holding power per shot over brads.

I have a dual purpose Delta nailer that shoots both 18ga brads and crown
staples, but I don't think it is made any longer.

Very similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausf...8843164&sr=1-6

As long as you're getting another tool, it is nice to have two tools in
one at that price.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/4/2012 2:54 PM, John Shear wrote:
I'm considering getting a finish stapler like the Bostitch sb-150sx to
fasten 1/4" ply cabinet backs to carcasses. I use the Bostitch as an
example because I've been using their 16 and 18 gauge nailers and really
like them a lot.
Is stapling a good way to attach cabinet backs? I currently use screws
but stapling would be faster (and more fun).
Is the 7/32" crown staple reasonable, or is that too narrow?
What length of staple would hold well?
Are there other uses for this stapler (the wife asks)?

John S.

If you are looking for a good all around stapler, we bought a
inexpensive Arrow Stapler many years ago. It takes 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2
inch standard staples. We use all three sizes. While it does not get
used daily, when it does get used it gets heavy use.

I use it for routine stapling around the garage. I also use it to hold
the mated side of picture frames and stretchers, To make the final
precise cuts on the miters. Depending on the size of the sides I have
used 1/4 and 1/2 in staples. The frames are usually made of fir, pine
or any of the better quality of what is called White wood by the local
big box store. I have also used it to attach the rubber liner to the
sides of a pond.

My wife uses the staples for stretching canvas on the stretchers that I
have made. This requires 1/2 inch staples to go through the layers of
canvas.

It has never failed us, and as I said it is over 20 years old, maybe older.
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
[...]

An Arrow stapler is a different animal to the ones discussed here. The Arrow
is used for attaching cloth, screening, paper and ceiling tiles, basically
very thin material, to wood, as the staples are 1/2" crown and no longer
than 9/16". The 1/4" crown staples being discussed are heavier, and run in
lengths from 1/2" up to 1 1/2" (possibly some at 2").

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article m,
John Shear wrote:
I'm considering getting a finish stapler like the Bostitch sb-150sx to
fasten 1/4" ply cabinet backs to carcasses. I use the Bostitch as an
example because I've been using their 16 and 18 gauge nailers and really
like them a lot.
Is stapling a good way to attach cabinet backs? I currently use screws
but stapling would be faster (and more fun).
Is the 7/32" crown staple reasonable, or is that too narrow?
What length of staple would hold well?
Are there other uses for this stapler (the wife asks)?

John S.

Narrow crown staples like 7/32 or 1/4 inch are great (IMO) for attaching
plywood cabinet backs. For 1/4" ply, a 3/4" staple length is plenty,
especially if you are gluing too. I've found plenty of uses for my
stapler, they hold much better than brads, and are handy for shop jigs
or other uses where appearance doesn't matter. Get some galvanized
staples and they are even good for attaching fence pickets to rails.

If your target is small, as for instance when attaching the plywood
backs in a rabbet cut in 1x stock, so that (say) you must land the staple
in a roughly 3/8" wide zone, I recommend you practice before taking
the stapler to your workpiece. Poor aim can lead to missing the carcass
and a staple poking through into the inside of the workpiece. Doesn't take
long to get a feel for where to aim. DAMHIKT.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I should have added, consider the HF 18 gauge narrow crown stapler, often
on sale for $20 or less. It's really a no-brainer at that price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/4/2012 3:23 PM, John Shear wrote:
Well, I wouldn't think brad nails would hold thin material on too well.
Do the self-tapping screws recess into the back panel so they don't
interfere with mounting to a wall? What kind of head so they don't tear
through the thin material?

Shoot the brads in at an angle, do that from both sides, top and bottom
and they oppose each other.

Do your cabinets actually flush up to the wall? I use washer head
screws so they do not pull through, they are specifically made to mount
drawer slides. Typically however if you recess the back 1/16" more than
their thickneaa the heads will not show. If the backs are exposed on
the edges screws won't make that look much worse.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 13:54:35 -0500, John Shear
wrote:

I'm considering getting a finish stapler like the Bostitch sb-150sx to
fasten 1/4" ply cabinet backs to carcasses. I use the Bostitch as an
example because I've been using their 16 and 18 gauge nailers and really
like them a lot.
Is stapling a good way to attach cabinet backs? I currently use screws
but stapling would be faster (and more fun).

Good manufacturers (aka: NICE people) use screws. Cheaparse, penny
pinching corporate types use staplers.

Is the 7/32" crown staple reasonable, or is that too narrow?

Too narrow.

What length of staple would hold well?

Probably 1/2" long.

Are there other uses for this stapler (the wife asks)?

Yes, like reupholstering your own furniture. I use my 1/2" crown
stapler for that and small wood projects.
http://tinyurl.com/d3b4v79 and http://tinyurl.com/6o4u9ts

Whatever you do, don't buy an electric stapler. They're all gutless,
no matter how much you pay for them.

As I finish up this reply, I suddenly realize you were talking about
furniture cabinet backs, not speaker cabinets. My only other thought
about it is to glue them, too, and that most I've seen are probably
1/4" crown if they're not screwed, brad-nailed, or just glued.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:

I'm considering getting a finish stapler like the Bostitch sb-150sx to
fasten 1/4" ply cabinet backs to carcasses. I use the Bostitch as an
example because I've been using their 16 and 18 gauge nailers and really
like them a lot.
Is stapling a good way to attach cabinet backs? I currently use screws
but stapling would be faster (and more fun).

Good manufacturers (aka: NICE people) use screws. Cheaparse, penny
pinching corporate types use staplers.

Good manufacturers may use screws, but most don't. Cheaparse, penny pinching
corporate types use staples for finish assembly on the front, and cardboard
for the back held in place by a shot of hot melt glue -- yes, I have
disassembled some by a "reputable" brand that was built that way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

When I mail-order, I tend to stick with the established good brands. HF
cheap stuff always concerns me because I can't see and touch it before
ordering. But it's had a couple of good comments here.
I have two Bostitch nailers and feel real good about those. I checked
out the Bostitch stapler at the local home center and a google search
turned up lots of good comments, so I'm leaning that way. For this kind
of thing I'll probably watch Ebay and get a deal there. That's worked
for me so far.
Lots of great feedback here...

John Shear

On 06/04/2012 06:06 PM, Larry W wrote:
I should have added, consider the HF 18 gauge narrow crown stapler, often
on sale for $20 or less. It's really a no-brainer at that price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Shear wrote:
I'm considering getting a finish stapler like the Bostitch sb-150sx to
fasten 1/4" ply cabinet backs to carcasses. I use the Bostitch as an
example because I've been using their 16 and 18 gauge nailers and
really like them a lot.
Is stapling a good way to attach cabinet backs? I currently use screws
but stapling would be faster (and more fun).
Is the 7/32" crown staple reasonable, or is that too narrow?
What length of staple would hold well?
Are there other uses for this stapler (the wife asks)?

John S.

Here's a combination stapler/brad nailer from HF for $20:
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gaug...ler-68019.html

Generally, you would use a stapler on material that cannot be reliably held
by a (minimum) nail head. This would include, of course, cardboard, foil,
and other thin, tearable stuff.

As for securing cabinet backs, a bead of glue in addition to the
staple/screw/nail might be prudent.