Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My new 18 by 12 framing square

Being in danger of falling asleep driving home recently, I stopped
into a small antique mall to walk around a bit. Back in a corner
booth, I found a small framing square hanging on the wall, marked
$1.95. It looked like a handy item, being somewhat smaller than the
standard framing square, but larger than the typical small woodworking
square. It had a blade 18 inches long by an 1 1/2 inches, and a
tongue 12 inches by 1 inch. Very simple markings... sixteenths on the
outside, quarter inches on the inside. The maker was marked simply
"Sargent." It was slightly thicker at the angle, and had a pleasant
patina.
I almost bought it on the spot, but figured it probably wouldn't be
accurate anymore, and got interested in buying a similar square new.
I looked all over, local hardware stores, ebay, and the web, but
couldn't find one! I went back and invested the buck ninety five, and
brought it home. It was a bit off, but I managed to fix it with the
old "hammer and punch on the floor" technique, and it now resides in a
prominent spot on my bench. Very handy for when the small squares
don't quite make it, and the standard framing square in just kinda big
and clunky...
No, I'm sure it isn't a valuable antique, but have any of you guys
seen one of these?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/27/2012 8:47 PM, Marty wrote:
[...]

You suck ... many of those vintage framing squares, and Sargent was a
good one, go for $40 to $200, so you did good!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

I often use a 12" X 8" Stanley, rather than a larger or smaller
square.

You made a good deal. A Chappell 18" X 12" is only $85 he
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?cat=560

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 May 2012 08:37:51 -0500, Swingman wrote:
Being in danger of falling asleep driving home recently, I stopped
into a small antique mall to walk around a bit.

You suck ... many of those vintage framing squares, and Sargent was a
good one, go for $40 to $200, so you did good!

Guess he should deprive himself of sleep more often.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Marty wrote:
Being in danger of falling asleep driving home recently, I stopped
into a small antique mall to walk around a bit. Back in a corner
booth, I found a small framing square hanging on the wall, marked
$1.95. It looked like a handy item, being somewhat smaller than the
standard framing square, but larger than the typical small woodworking
square. It had a blade 18 inches long by an 1 1/2 inches, and a
tongue 12 inches by 1 inch.

...snipped...
No, I'm sure it isn't a valuable antique, but have any of you guys
seen one of these?

I have one about that same size. I can't check it right now but it is
also a Sargent, I believe, and I probably picked it up at a yard sale. I
don't think a new one should be particularly hard to find. AAMOF,
pretty sure I've seen comparable size at HF. Here's an Empire sold
by Amazon, they refer to it as a "Carpenter's Square"

http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-1...215960&sr=8-10

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 28, 9:40*am, (Larry W) wrote:
In article ,

http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-1...ch/dp/B001BRDR...

--
* * *Better to be stuck up in a tree than tied to one.

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org

There y'go... If I'd seen that before I bought mine, I woulda bought
one. I love using old tools, but especially for "marking out" tools,
precision trumps emotion. Maybe Amazon oughta give you a kickback for
posting that. It's a really handy sized square if you're building
something bigger than a bookend and smaller than a house.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/28/2012 12:57 PM, Marty wrote:
On May 28, 9:40 am, (Larry W) wrote:
In ,

wrote:
[...]

Yabbut, it just doesn't have that certain cachet of using a vintage
tool, from an old American company, found and bought at a good price:

http://www.thckk.org/history/sargent.pdf

http://www.rostratool.com/pdf/SargentCarpenterTools.pdf

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 28, 1:10*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 5/28/2012 12:57 PM, Marty wrote:

On May 28, 9:40 am, (Larry W) wrote:
In ,

*wrote:
[...]

True, I've got a number of old tools with my Grandfather's initials
stamped on 'em. Somehow, I love using those.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Swingman wrote:
On 5/28/2012 12:57 PM, Marty wrote:
On May 28, 9:40 am, (Larry W) wrote:
In

,

wrote:
[...]

Well, except for the "vintage" part, I'd say that Empire is respectable
enough within their product line. Family owned since 1919, employs 300
Americans at their plant.

http://www.empirelevel.com/company/index.php
www.empirelevel.com/company/pdf/fact-sheet.pdf

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Marty wrote:
No, I'm sure it isn't a valuable antique, but have any of you guys
seen one of these?

Sounds like you got a deal.

Best I could come up with is a HF framing square, 16x24 (for $9.95) and five
minutes with a metal-cutting band saw or angle grinder.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 30, 9:30*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Marty wrote:
No, I'm sure it isn't a valuable antique, but have any of you guys
seen one of these?

Sounds like you got a deal.

Best I could come up with is a HF framing square, 16x24 (for $9.95) and five
minutes with a metal-cutting band saw or angle grinder.

LOL. Reason #16 for buying new tools (bandsaw and/or angle
grinder): Modify a previous purchase.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Geez, I never thought of the hack saw solution...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 May 2012 05:49:53 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On May 30, 9:30*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Marty wrote:
No, I'm sure it isn't a valuable antique, but have any of you guys
seen one of these?

Sounds like you got a deal.

Best I could come up with is a HF framing square, 16x24 (for $9.95) and five
minutes with a metal-cutting band saw or angle grinder.

LOL. Reason #16 for buying new tools (bandsaw and/or angle
grinder): Modify a previous purchase.

So who needs a metal-cutting bandsaw? I have one which needs a
bushing for the drive wheel. $45, you pick up in So. Oregon.

I bought a Satanley 8x12" square at HF for $5.99 last year.
Chromed and actually square.

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton