Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Elmers white vs Titebond II.

Well I was running low on Titebond so I switched to some elmers white
glue...

I had asked the binaries group long ago what they preferred. Of course I
got shot for that. Everyone would rather BS than have a wood working
topic...

Anyway, I have some old Elmers and it seems to have a better shelf life
than Titebond.. Works longer too. But seems to be just as strong.

Now I know why Frank Klauz uses it.. Whenever I stopped in to his shop
he always uses it. I liked the longer working time..

Might have to get a gallon..

I know... its not water resistant or water proof... But mostly I don't
need it. And when I do... I'll get a quart...
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/26/2012 8:02 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Anyway, I have some old Elmers and it seems to have a better shelf life
than Titebond.. Works longer too. But seems to be just as strong.

All the actual data show it's marginally less in strength but generally
still stronger than the wood in the longitudinal (parallel to the glue
line) test--ie, the wood breaks more frequently than the joint fails but
the fraction is quite as high as w/ the PVA (polyvinyl acetates) as w/
the aliphatic resins ("carpenter's glues").

For most purposes PVA is adequate. There is a longer open-time Titebond
if you need it, btw. Other than when the lower chalk temperature is
needed, I tend to use plain ol' yellow glue rather than the more
expensive formulations unless again there's a specific need like outside
application, say. When using a lot of glue, I bought the Ol' Yeller
branded generic from Woodworkders Supply as it used to be significantly
cheaper. I noticed the other day that the price differential is
significantly less than used to be--hardly would pay the freight over
buying local now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , tiredofspam
wrote:

I had asked the binaries group long ago what they preferred. Of course I
got shot for that. Everyone would rather BS than have a wood working
topic...

Well, at least you didn't ask about it with a .yenc binary attached.
That would've put some into cardiac arrest! VBSEG

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

Well I was running low on Titebond so I switched to some elmers white
glue...

I had asked the binaries group long ago what they preferred. Of course
I got shot for that. Everyone would rather BS than have a wood working
topic...

Anyway, I have some old Elmers and it seems to have a better shelf
life than Titebond.. Works longer too. But seems to be just as strong.

Now I know why Frank Klauz uses it.. Whenever I stopped in to his
shop he always uses it. I liked the longer working time..

Might have to get a gallon..

I know... its not water resistant or water proof... But mostly I don't
need it. And when I do... I'll get a quart...

I usually wait until Walmart is getting rid of their excess for $.25 a 4
oz bottle. I'll buy a dozen or more at a time then.

I've been doing some disassembly of an old layout, and it looks like the
white glue that was used is holding things together quite well. If it
works for you, don't let anyone else's opinion stop you.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:

Well that's where elmers is interesting half the price for a gallon
over titebond. $16.. vs 32

You are shopping in the wrong place. Titebond ll is under $18/gallon at
Lowes, HD, etc. Regular Titebond is even less.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/27/2012 7:01 AM, dadiOH wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:

Well that's where elmers is interesting half the price for a gallon
over titebond. $16.. vs 32

You are shopping in the wrong place. Titebond ll is under $18/gallon at
Lowes, HD, etc. Regular Titebond is even less.

Think he's in ballpark for TB-III altho it makes no sense to compare it
to white glue; TB-I is not too major a stretch for functional comparison.