Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pear wood

We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter
at the base and maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, my wife wants to cut it down, is
the wood potentially good for anything?

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter
at the base and maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, my wife wants to cut it down, is
the wood potentially good for anything?

--
Froz...

If nothin else, it's great for smokin on the BBQ

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you are a wood turner, it turns well. If you are not a turner, you might
see if a friend would like it.

Deb

FrozenNorth wrote:

We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter
at the base and maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, my wife wants to cut it down, is
the wood potentially good for anything?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 May 2012 14:39:42 -0400, FrozenNorth
wrote:

We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter
at the base and maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, my wife wants to cut it down, is
the wood potentially good for anything?

It's a fruit tree and cherry is a fruit tree too. Cherry is a
desirable wood as long as it's finished properly by staining it to
look like some other wood or, better yet, by painting it.

Maybe pear would work well too. Give it a try.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yep it works well.

I have used it a couple of times.

It starts out as a very white wood. If left unstained some of it will
turn a soft mellow brown...

I didn't know that when I carved some handles, a few years down the road
they are a soft mellow brown. I had given the piece to a friend whom I
just saw recently, and thought my memory had been playing with me. When
I realized that it had aged on its own.

I lost a tree in Oct and recently milled it on my band saw
... it's drying now..
Looking for a similar use since the pieces are rather small.

On 5/26/2012 2:39 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter
at the base and maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, my wife wants to cut it down, is
the wood potentially good for anything?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 26, 1:39*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter
at the base and maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, my wife wants to cut it down, is
the wood potentially good for anything?

--
Froz...

Do you know any wood turners. I have seen some nice vases and turning
sculpture done with apple. Gotta think pear is in a similar class.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/26/12 6:37 PM, RonB wrote:
On May 26, 1:39 pm,
wrote:
We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter
at the base and maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, my wife wants to cut it down, is
the wood potentially good for anything?

Do you know any wood turners. I have seen some nice vases and turning
sculpture done with apple. Gotta think pear is in a similar class.

Don't know any turners, but that seems to be the consensus, western part
of Toronto, Ontario, if anybody knows anyone, they are welcome to have it.

Even better if they have their own chainsaw...don't think my
reciprocating saw will cut it down. :-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"RonB" wrote in message
On May 26, 1:39 pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter
at the base and maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, my wife wants to cut it down, is
the wood potentially good for anything?

--
Froz...

Do you know any wood turners. I have seen some nice vases and turning
sculpture done with apple. Gotta think pear is in a similar class.

Pear heart wood can be beautiful. Don't know how much you will have on an 8"
trunk, probably not much.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 26, 11:39*am, FrozenNorth
wrote:
We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter
at the base and maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, my wife wants to cut it down, is
the wood potentially good for anything?

--
Froz...

If it's sapient you try making The Luggage. :-)

Sorry could not resist.

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

Crotch sctions would likely look nice. A turner or carver would
appreciate it.
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...s/pearwood.htm

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter
at the base and maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, my wife wants to cut it down, is
the wood potentially good for anything? FrozenNorth

I have turned and carved pear wood. Most of what I had was from a 150
year old tree and was pinkish in the center. Pear is highly prized for
woodwind instruments, like Recorders. It is easy to turn but a bit
harder to hand carve, but well worth the effort.

I made a nostepinne from one piece of that tree...
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...stepinnesm.jpg

`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Would be good for pen blanks. I know, if I were closer, I would take some
for turning.

Dan J

"Casper" wrote in message
We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter
at the base and maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, my wife wants to cut it down, is
the wood potentially good for anything? FrozenNorth

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 May 2012 09:49:33 -0400, Casper
wrote:

We have a pear tree in the back yard, the trunk is about 8 inch diameter
at the base and maybe 4 1/2 feet tall, my wife wants to cut it down, is
the wood potentially good for anything? FrozenNorth

I have turned and carved pear wood. Most of what I had was from a 150
year old tree and was pinkish in the center. Pear is highly prized for
woodwind instruments, like Recorders. It is easy to turn but a bit
harder to hand carve, but well worth the effort.

I made a nostepinne from one piece of that tree...
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...stepinnesm.jpg

Cool. To figure out WTH a "nostepinne" was, I googled it and watched
the video of how to wind one o' them pups.

Then I saw this and checked it out. I see you and raise you one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WVdzP53X9vw
wink

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron

Pear wood randyswoodshoop Woodturning 3 March 10th 08 06:20 PM
Bradford Pear Bowl and Stand Gerald Ross Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 March 13th 07 10:34 AM
Bradford Pear Bowl and Stand Gerald Ross Woodturning 2 March 6th 07 04:52 PM
First en boule - Bradford Pear charlie b Woodworking 10 March 20th 06 06:46 AM
Pear-tree wood, not pear wood. Robatoy Woodworking 9 May 16th 05 05:18 PM