Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Pear wood

Any one know where to get pear wood or apple wood that has been air
dried ready for turning?

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
,
randyswoodshoop wrote:

Any one know where to get pear wood or apple wood that has been air
dried ready for turning?

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

I have apple (and no I don't have a lot of problems drying it), but
sorry I use what I have. My suggestion would be to contact people with
orchards and see when they are cutting trees down, and dry it yourself.
But dry is the only way to do things like pens, boxes, bobbins, etc

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

Pear is a lot of fun to turn...UNLESS it is dried. When it is wet it
turns like butter, really smooth. When it is dry it is like iron. It
can still be turned and sands very well but it gets really hard when
it is dry.

Apple cracks almost as soon as you cut the tree down. I got a large
apple tree not long ago and by the time I got it home it had some ring
cracks that went the length of the logs. I didn't get anywhere near
as many good pieces as I had anticipated. Best to turn it green.

Ted