Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New additions to shop.

I wanted a sink in the shop to clean up paint brushes, dump and
replenish water from my sharpening stones, other things.

I can't have a sink connected to the water, or septic without paying a
huge tax increase.

So here's my solution.. still a work in progress:

I picked up a big stainless steel kitchen sink for $1 at a garage sale,
and yesterday picked up a kitchen cabinet. I cut out the top for the
sink today. and moved it to the basement.

Now I plan on using 2x 5gal buckets, one for fresh water, and one for
waste water. I need to get a pump to pump the water from the fresh tank
to a faucet. That will drain to the waste tank.
After settling I figure I can pump or siphon the clean (top ) water back
to the fresh water and keep doing that until I need to dump it....

I started looking for pump online.. they aren't cheap... Has anyone
done this??

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have cabinets above.. Its the only space I could fit it. I had
originally thought that I would use gravity. But the cabinet (I got it
for free) was wider than the original area in my storage area.. near my
sump pump.. I originally figured I dump the waste water there when it
was ready to be dumped..

No handcranking here. Hit a switch or step on a pedal and pump... not
real strong... I started looking into fountain pumps.. They seem to be
cheaper. and maybe can handle the dirty water side too...

On 5/23/2012 11:25 PM, Steve wrote:
tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com wrote in news:aMKdnT-
:

[...]

It sounds like gravity could be your friend here. Put the upper bucket
above the faucet and let gravity supply the pressure. Get one of those
hand crank pumps from harbor freight and use that to replenish the upper
bucket. Just my 2¢ YMMV

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 May 2012 23:18:14 -0400, tiredofspam wrote:

[...]

How about one of those pumps that they use in outdoor water falls to pump
water from the pond back up to the top of the waterfall. Don't know what
they cost, but should do the job.

Paul T.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/23/2012 9:18 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I wanted a sink in the shop to clean up paint brushes, dump and
replenish water from my sharpening stones, other things.

I can't have a sink connected to the water, or septic without paying a
huge tax increase.

Are you sure about that? Maybe things are different where you live but
in my neck of the woods, property taxes are based on property
valuation. Adding a functional sink would add little or nothing the the
property's value, hence would cause at most a miniscule increase in
property taxes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 May 2012 23:18:14 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
wrote:

[...]

You'll probably not be re-using the water very much - paint won't
settle out enough for you to wash your hands and not have at least a
little color added.

For a supply pump, even the small pond/fountain pumps provide several
gallons/minute.

If you can extend the drain plumbing to the sump pump, you won't have
to lift and dump that pail. That should make up for the additional
fresh water you'd need to supply wih a direct-to-drain system.

A possible alternative supply arrangement would be to use a garden
hose from an outside faucet and control the water with a sprnkler
valve. The wiring is 24 voltds, so you don't need an electrician. The
valves are often 3/4 NPT, but adapters are available from 3/4 NPT to
hose bibb (slightly different 3/4" thread). If you have rain gutters
on the shop, could you run a downspout to a barrel and collect the
rainwater? Set the barrel up high enough for gravity flow or use a
pond/fountain pump to get the water to the sink.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve wrote in
. 153.63:

It sounds like gravity could be your friend here. Put the upper bucket
above the faucet and let gravity supply the pressure. Get one of those
hand crank pumps from harbor freight and use that to replenish the upper
bucket. Just my 2¢ YMMV

One thing that you must consider is that 5 gallons of water will be quite
heavy. Something on the order of 40 pounds, so a shelf or bucket holder
must be able to support that weight.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"P.H.T." wrote in
:

How about one of those pumps that they use in outdoor water falls to
pump water from the pond back up to the top of the waterfall. Don't
know what they cost, but should do the job.

Paul T.

Somewhere between $30 and $70 from what I've seen. Many fixtures are
plumbed with 1/2" pipe, so a small utility pump that can fill that should
be good enough.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/23/2012 11:18 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

If you can collect your waste in a five gallon bucket, is there any
reason that you can not set it outside and water the flowers with it.
(if you know what I mean)
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I made a similar project for a science classroom the didn't have access
to a lab.

I found a roll around stainless cabinet that was designed for work area
for outdoor cooking (got this on sale at kmart I think) cut in a sink
on one end used a pond pump for supply pressure and 2-5 gallon buckets
that stored neatly in cabinet.

I cut in a couple of electrical boxes on the end of the cabinet, one for
additional outlets and another for water proof toggle swith to control
pump, installed a gfc breaker internally for saftey should something go
wrong.

I wound up with north of $300 in the whole thing, but the associated
science club footed most of the bill.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes I am sure. Even a slop sink raises the rate here big time. I don't
know why, wherever I have lived I always had a slop sink in the basement.

They look for heat in the basement, and any water when doing a
reassesment. Once you add water/or heat this becomes a full living
space. Not for bedrooms though. And the assesment is increased by quite
a bit.

On 5/24/2012 2:46 AM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 5/23/2012 9:18 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I wanted a sink in the shop to clean up paint brushes, dump and
replenish water from my sharpening stones, other things.

I can't have a sink connected to the water, or septic without paying a
huge tax increase.

Are you sure about that? Maybe things are different where you live but
in my neck of the woods, property taxes are based on property valuation.
Adding a functional sink would add little or nothing the the property's
value, hence would cause at most a miniscule increase in property taxes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

How many gallon per minute pump did you use.
I figure the lift cuts the pressure down, so that part has been hard to
figure.

Figure lifting 30 inches, what would be good. My guess was 160gph which
is about 2.7gpm.. but with lift I am not sure what I'll wind up with,
most specs online don't go into lift vs gph...

Thanks....

Most didn't read the part where I am in a basement, so a lot of advice
that does not apply..

On 5/24/2012 8:23 AM, basilisk wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:
Yes I am sure. Even a slop sink raises the rate here big time. I
don't know why, wherever I have lived I always had a slop sink in the
basement.
They look for heat in the basement, and any water when doing a
reassesment. Once you add water/or heat this becomes a full living
space. Not for bedrooms though. And the assesment is increased by
quite a bit.

Man - that's almost crazy. Where do you live?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Maybe visit an RV dealer and ask if they have any used RV water pumps
you can get cheap. They're noisy though.

John S.

On 05/23/2012 10:18 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I started looking for pump online.. they aren't cheap... Has anyone done
this??

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 08:43:22 -0400, tiredofspam wrote:

How many gallon per minute pump did you use.
I figure the lift cuts the pressure down, so that part has been hard to
figure.

Figure lifting 30 inches, what would be good. My guess was 160gph which
is about 2.7gpm.. but with lift I am not sure what I'll wind up with,
most specs online don't go into lift vs gph...

Thanks....

Most didn't read the part where I am in a basement, so a lot of advice
that does not apply..

I can't recall the pump volume that I used, but it was a midrange
pond pump, flow was somewhere around 2 gpm out the sink spout,
this is decent considering the volume you will have to work with.

Plug the hot side of the faucet or someone will leave it open and
flood bottom side.

basilisk

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

NJ Its Fd up.

I have a ranch. I pay more than my neighbor who has twice the square
footage.

They base it on roof area, not square footage.

I think that's Fd up too. I was outraged to find out that their big
house is less in taxes than mine.

It's a state of mindless bungling politicians and thieves.

On 5/24/2012 8:48 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:
Yes I am sure. Even a slop sink raises the rate here big time. I
don't know why, wherever I have lived I always had a slop sink in the
basement.
They look for heat in the basement, and any water when doing a
reassesment. Once you add water/or heat this becomes a full living
space. Not for bedrooms though. And the assesment is increased by
quite a bit.

Man - that's almost crazy. Where do you live?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 May 2012 23:18:14 -0400, tiredofspam wrote:

I started looking for pump online.. they aren't cheap... Has anyone
done this??

Depending on your definition of cheap, you might want to look at aquarium
pumps. But be sure to check the flow and the head.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:
NJ Its Fd up.

I have a ranch. I pay more than my neighbor who has twice the square
footage.

They base it on roof area, not square footage.

I think that's Fd up too. I was outraged to find out that their big
house is less in taxes than mine.

That is just rediculous! Time to leave there buddy...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Either something from Jabsco (115VAC) or manual diaphragm pump puts
you in the $100-$125 range.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes I am sure. Even a slop sink raises the rate here big time. I
don't know why, wherever I have lived I always had a slop sink in the
basement.
They look for heat in the basement, and any water when doing a
reassesment. Once you add water/or heat this becomes a full living
space. Not for bedrooms though. And the assesment is increased by
quite a bit.

As a ex-NJer, I can say the areas I lived in weren't that way. In
every house we had a sink in the basement, even a half or full bath.
Not sure what area you live in, but I've never heard that one before.

Moved my mother into a new house just five years ago with a slop sink,
which she specifically added, and she pays nothing extra for it.
Granted she pays more in property taxes, but I've got her beat in
school and other area taxes here in Ohio, and I live in a rural area.

Have you looked at the portable sinks often used in fairs and other
large outdoor events? They are foot pump driven with self-contained
fresh and grey tanks. I've seen used ones come up on craigslist...
http://sinksnmore.com/index.html?page=product&prod_id=3

Now here's one created for outdoors, but he's put some good parts to
use that might give you more options...
http://www.instructables.com/id/Field-Sink/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yea this is a first for me too.

Like everything NJ every town has a way of doing it differently.

My town taxes you for a shed. In Linden the GAS TANKS by the the
Turnpike they don't pay taxes on those huge tanks. They're not attached
to the ground permanently.. (Bull ****).. So they don't pay taxes on
them as improved properties.

A township away no taxes on sheds under 90sq ft. My town originally told
me the same thing, but then taxed me because I was mis informed they said.

NJ is nothing more than a bunch of political thugs. It makes Boss Hog
look like a prince.

On 5/25/2012 9:16 AM, Casper wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Here is something that you could make your self (though it can be
purchased at the site.)

Check the Nature Series Portable Outdoor Hand Washing Sinks

http://www.theportablesink.com/produ...FUZN4AodIS_eZQ

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't know where you're located, but you might check Grainger
(www.grainger.com) for Little Giant pumps. They make submersable and
conventional centrifugal pumps. I've used them for several
applications, and they seem to give good performance and value. I was
also able to find repair parts locally (younger helper tightening an
NPT fitting into a plastic housing...).