Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blood all over maple.

So today I machined my draw faces, sides and some other items.

the draw faces are maple, the sides poplar. These will be for lateral
files..

Well while gluing up I cut my knuckle... I didn't notice it. But after a
while I started seeing RED literally all over the wood. I sucked the
blood off the knuckle and continued to clamp the multiple draw faces up.

Now trying to get the boards aligned... damn red everywhere. This little
cut was gushing.

So after it's all clamped I start with water... not coming out. Then
alcohol... better but not great.

Hopefully when I finish thicknessing the staining will be gone.
Maple's hard... and maybe it didn't go deep. But if it did, will
Oxalic acid clean off the blood from the maple?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2012 6:41 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
So today I machined my draw faces, sides and some other items.

Draw??? ;~) Drawer right?

the draw faces are maple, the sides poplar. These will be for lateral
files..

files? You are really starting to be as confusing as me now... LOL

Well while gluing up I cut my knuckle... I didn't notice it. But after a
while I started seeing RED literally all over the wood. I sucked the
blood off the knuckle and continued to clamp the multiple draw faces up.

Now trying to get the boards aligned... damn red everywhere. This little
cut was gushing.

So after it's all clamped I start with water... not coming out. Then
alcohol... better but not great.

Hopefully when I finish thicknessing the staining will be gone.
Maple's hard... and maybe it didn't go deep. But if it did, will Oxalic
acid clean off the blood from the maple?

In 1989 I was building maple tool boxes, four of them for Christmas
presents while I was on vacation. I cut half my thumb off and got blood
on the maple. It will eventually turn very dark with no color.
So while that is not much better, it is better than red! :~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" wrote:

Well while gluing up I cut my knuckle... I didn't notice it.

Maple's hard... and maybe it didn't go deep. But if it did, will
Oxalic acid clean off the blood from the maple?

-------------------------------
Don't know if Oxalic acid will work but the standard for getting blood
out is to soak it in salt water followed by soak in clear water.

Lew

PS: The sooner the better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Household hydrogen peroxide (3% solution) dissolves blood, removing
the red color. It cleans wounds, also. Peroxide should be in
everyone's medicine cabinet. It's inexpensive, too.

100% hydorgen peroxide is rocket fuel.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2012 8:04 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/15/2012 6:41 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
So today I machined my draw faces, sides and some other items.

Draw??? ;~) Drawer right?

Yes

files? You are really starting to be as confusing as me now... LOL

Ok, I agree reading it now.

In 1989 I was building maple tool boxes, four of them for Christmas
presents while I was on vacation. I cut half my thumb off and got blood
on the maple. It will eventually turn very dark with no color.
So while that is not much better, it is better than red! :~)

Great, that's not what I want. But I will be staining or dyeing this.
There's some figure so I'll see how a sample looks with dye.
But I need to get rid of the DARK blotch that will occur.

I'll try the Peroxide... Not sure I want to add salt water to the
equation... But if the peroxide doesn't work I'll try that.

Thanks guys.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 May 2012 01:33:45 GMT, Han wrote:

Sonny wrote in news:d91cce3c-4bb9-416b-9bdb-
:

Household hydrogen peroxide (3% solution) dissolves blood, removing
the red color. It cleans wounds, also. Peroxide should be in
everyone's medicine cabinet. It's inexpensive, too.

100% hydorgen peroxide is rocket fuel.

Sonny

30% H2O2 is the most concentrated that is relatively easily obtainable, but
even 3% is a pretty good oxidator.

Joke is he
http://fumaga.com/10165

ROTFL!

The other guy (stick?) is lucky, too.
DiHydrogen Monoxide has been known to kill many people, no matter what
state it is in: liquid, gas, or solid.

--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" wrote in message

So today I machined my draw faces, sides and some other items.

the draw faces are maple, the sides poplar. These will be for lateral
files..

Well while gluing up I cut my knuckle... I didn't notice it. But after a
while I started seeing RED literally all over the wood. I sucked the
blood off the knuckle and continued to clamp the multiple draw faces up.

Now trying to get the boards aligned... damn red everywhere. This little
cut was gushing.

So after it's all clamped I start with water... not coming out. Then
alcohol... better but not great.

Hopefully when I finish thicknessing the staining will be gone.
Maple's hard... and maybe it didn't go deep. But if it did, will
Oxalic acid clean off the blood from the maple?
Now you've done it. The only recourse is to draw enough blood to do an even
stain job. It might be your life's work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:
So today I machined my draw faces, sides and some other items.

the draw faces are maple, the sides poplar. These will be for lateral
files..

Well while gluing up I cut my knuckle... I didn't notice it. But
after a while I started seeing RED literally all over the wood. I sucked
the blood off the knuckle and continued to clamp the multiple
draw faces up.
Now trying to get the boards aligned... damn red everywhere. This
little cut was gushing.

So after it's all clamped I start with water... not coming out. Then
alcohol... better but not great.

Hopefully when I finish thicknessing the staining will be gone.
Maple's hard... and maybe it didn't go deep. But if it did, will
Oxalic acid clean off the blood from the maple?

No idea but sand paper will.

More info here...
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...-blood-stains/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

Also...
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Blood-...ardwood-Floors

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:31:53 PM UTC-7, CW wrote:
[...]

I was thinking alongthose same lines. Anyone ever seen the Red Violin?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
[...]

Should try hydrogen peroxide to remove blood. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 15, 11:23*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
On 5/15/2012 8:04 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Peroxide and COLD water. Hot water sets the
proteins in blood. Peroxide doesn't work, dye
the sucker with red Transfast. Or more blood --
a pint should cover 30, 40 square feet and won't
leave you feeling too light-headed.

Blood Tim W[_3_] Woodworking 10 August 12th 11 09:45 PM
maple story news,maple story gold,maple story money [email protected] Woodworking 0 June 27th 07 08:08 AM
maple story news,maple story gold,maple story money [email protected] Woodworking 0 June 27th 07 07:56 AM
Sweat and blood John B Woodworking 3 July 5th 06 12:33 AM
hard maple vs soft maple - is one or the other preferred? [email protected] Woodworking 21 December 16th 04 10:09 AM