Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wheels on bench

On May 10, 2:13*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
If wheels are mounted to a work bench legs, so lifting the other end
results in the workbench riding on the wheels, approximately how much of an
angle would the bench need to be tipped to?

Here's the scenario: *My bench serves as an infeed table as well as a
bench. *Sometimes I need to move it a foot or so closer to the saw for
support. *I was wondering if putting wheels on one set of legs would make
it easy to lift the other end to pull the bench closer to the saw. *I'm not
looking for something expensive, big, or fancy, just enough to make it
easier to move the bench that couple of inches.

I guess a hinged drop down support would also meet this need, but it would
seem to get in the way of storage on the side of the bench.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Years before mobile bases were common I rigged a fairly heavy
contractor's table saw so it could be moved I scrounged a couple of
rear wheels, with mount, off of a grocery cart. I drilled a couple of
holes in each and mounted them to the back back legs of the saw with
the wheels touching the floor when not moved. All I had to do was
lift the front of the saw an inch or so and I could roll it around the
shop. Not effortless but really not bad.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 May 2012 16:15:53 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
That's where we genuinely disagree Mike. Emoticons do nothing to relay
intent. Look at how many times you see confrontations even with emoticons
in the text.

Maybe. But, I think you have to admit, that until something comes
along that is better, emoticons have *some* use. Sure, they're not
perfect in this text only atmosphere, but I hope you can see that they
can fill some purpose ~ if only on occasion.
Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

Thunderbird doesn't allow emoticons on newsgroups... kind of sucks.

How so? The ASCII pictures are emoticons, not the fancy little buttons
that many useless programs replace them with. You just type them in.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 May 2012 11:37:55 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
Thunderbird doesn't allow emoticons on newsgroups... kind of sucks.

What do you mean it doesn't allow them? One variety of them is just
plain text, the same text you use to type. You can't type as an
example?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 May 2012 15:54:11 GMT, Puckdropper
Thunderbird doesn't allow emoticons on newsgroups... kind of sucks.

How so? The ASCII pictures are emoticons, not the fancy little buttons
that many useless programs replace them with. You just type them in.

I'm betting he's talking about HTML emoticons, not plain text
emoticons.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/12 10:37 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Thunderbird doesn't allow emoticons on newsgroups... kind of sucks.

That doesn't make sense. They're simple characters.
Are you saying Thunderbird (which I'm using) filters out certain
characters used in a certain order?
Or are you saying it doesn't replace them with little pictures of
smiling faces?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 5/12/12 10:37 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Thunderbird doesn't allow emoticons on newsgroups... kind of sucks.

That doesn't make sense. They're simple characters.
Are you saying Thunderbird (which I'm using) filters out certain
characters used in a certain order?
Or are you saying it doesn't replace them with little pictures of
smiling faces?

All right Mike - get over here into my corner. We'll sit this out together.
You are the victim of the same thing I was yesterday - the overlap in
post/replies. I'm sure by now you've seen that this was already addressed.
No matter - get over here and take your medicine buddy...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/12 11:31 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 5/12/12 10:37 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Thunderbird doesn't allow emoticons on newsgroups... kind of sucks.

That doesn't make sense. They're simple characters.
Are you saying Thunderbird (which I'm using) filters out certain
characters used in a certain order?
Or are you saying it doesn't replace them with little pictures of
smiling faces?

All right Mike - get over here into my corner. We'll sit this out together.
You are the victim of the same thing I was yesterday - the overlap in
post/replies. I'm sure by now you've seen that this was already addressed.
No matter - get over here and take your medicine buddy...

There you go again being a jerk. (thunderbird doesn't allow emoticons,
so what's a boy to do?)

[wondering if I really should've used a tongue-sticking-out emoticon,
resiting temptation......]

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 May 2012 12:10:10 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
You'd be right. for old style, I just do 8) but for the html which some
of you use, you must be using free agent or something that allows it.

Well, this isn't an html based newsgroup (or one that will accept
html). While some might use an html based newsreader, in the end when
their messages are posted here, it's converted to ascii text.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/12 11:35 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2012 12:10:10 -0400, tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com
You'd be right. for old style, I just do 8) but for the html which some
of you use, you must be using free agent or something that allows it.

Well, this isn't an html based newsgroup (or one that will accept
html). While some might use an html based newsreader, in the end when
their messages are posted here, it's converted to ascii text.

Ironically, I'm using Thunderbird and when I type " :-) " it converts it
to a picture of a smiley face.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 May 2012 11:37:49 -0500, -MIKE-
Ironically, I'm using Thunderbird and when I type " :-) " it converts it
to a picture of a smiley face.

Yup. You might be able to turn the html off somewhere in the settings
when you read this newsgroup, but it would probably be a wasted effort
for such a small gain.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/12 11:49 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2012 11:37:49 -0500,
Ironically, I'm using Thunderbird and when I type " :-) " it converts it
to a picture of a smiley face.

Yup. You might be able to turn the html off somewhere in the settings
when you read this newsgroup, but it would probably be a wasted effort
for such a small gain.

Typing a colon followed by a hyphen followed by a parenthesis isn't HTML
code.
It's just three simple characters. No involved.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 5/12/12 10:37 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Thunderbird doesn't allow emoticons on newsgroups... kind of sucks.

That doesn't make sense. They're simple characters.
Are you saying Thunderbird (which I'm using) filters out certain
characters used in a certain order?
Or are you saying it doesn't replace them with little pictures of
smiling faces?

All right Mike - get over here into my corner. We'll sit this out
together. You are the victim of the same thing I was yesterday - the
overlap in post/replies. I'm sure by now you've seen that this was
already addressed. No matter - get over here and take your medicine
buddy...

There you go again being a jerk. (thunderbird doesn't allow
emoticons, so what's a boy to do?)

[wondering if I really should've used a tongue-sticking-out emoticon,
resiting temptation......]

Dude - you need to get a life and get off of your pedestal. Being a jerk?
Can't take any kind of humor? Screw it - those of you who take yourselves
too seriously can just ignore me. Must be nice to be you...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I don't think I could've been more clear that I was joking around.
You're right. Text apparently doesn't relay intent clearly enough for
you.
I apologize.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

I get some of the emoticons in html. When someone uses it, I see it that
way. I just write one.

I can only do a text based one.

But others send the yellow smiley of some sort.

On 5/12/2012 12:35 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2012 12:10:10 -0400, tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com
You'd be right. for old style, I just do 8) but for the html which some
of you use, you must be using free agent or something that allows it.

Well, this isn't an html based newsgroup (or one that will accept
html). While some might use an html based newsreader, in the end when
their messages are posted here, it's converted to ascii text.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

I don't think I could've been more clear that I was joking around.
You're right. Text apparently doesn't relay intent clearly enough for
you.

Well there ya go - it's the nature of the beast I guess. I might have been
on-guard based on the previous conversation content. Perspective is a
mighty big thing.

I apologize.

As do I.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/12 2:22 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

I don't think I could've been more clear that I was joking around.
You're right. Text apparently doesn't relay intent clearly enough for
you.

Well there ya go - it's the nature of the beast I guess. I might have been
on-guard based on the previous conversation content. Perspective is a
mighty big thing.

I apologize.

As do I.

Group hug!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 May 2012 17:01:25 -0500, -MIKE-
I apologize.

As do I.

Group hug!

You hug me and I'm going to hurt you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

I don't think I could've been more clear that I was joking around.
You're right. Text apparently doesn't relay intent clearly enough
for you.

Well there ya go - it's the nature of the beast I guess. I might
have been on-guard based on the previous conversation content.
Perspective is a mighty big thing.

I apologize.

As do I.

Group hug!

I'd rather get together and jam!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

I don't think I could've been more clear that I was joking around.
You're right. Text apparently doesn't relay intent clearly enough
for you.

Well there ya go - it's the nature of the beast I guess. I might
have been on-guard based on the previous conversation content.
Perspective is a mighty big thing.

I apologize.

As do I.

Group hug!

I'd rather get together and jam!

What the heck do you play?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

I don't think I could've been more clear that I was joking around.
You're right. Text apparently doesn't relay intent clearly enough
for you.

Well there ya go - it's the nature of the beast I guess. I might
have been on-guard based on the previous conversation content.
Perspective is a mighty big thing.

I apologize.

As do I.

Group hug!

I'd rather get together and jam!

What the heck do you play?

Guitar. Mostly 70-80's rock style.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:

Thanks. The picture gives me a starting point for something similar.
Looks like the key is that the center of the wheel is mounted outside
of the leg, so tipping the saw allows the leg to fully lift.

Correct. Otherwise you would have to cut off the back of the legs to
allow them to rotate without the back edge hitting the floor. Just
don't go as big as I did - that causes you to do more lifting. And...
the pneumatic tires are not a good idea. Hard rubber will roll easier
and you don't have to worry about low air pressure - makes moving it a
bear.

I picked up a couple of lawnmower wheels and mounted them to the bench.
I simply attached the wheels to the leg with a couple of screws through a
2x4. The bench will tilt back on the legs and move easily now, but it
doesn't start to move freely until the angle is just at the point where
it's uncomfortable to lift.

I think if I knocked the corner of the legs off the bench would move
freely at a lower angle. Good thing I haven't put doors on and loaded it
up yet.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.