Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn

Default grinding wheels for cheap Bench Grinder

Hi all
I've just 'acquired' a PP 6" bench grinder. It was being thrown out
because one of the wheels has broken.

I know this is no great quality product but I have a use for a bench
grinder and would like to get this going. I realise I'll be paying a
few quid for a new wheel(s) but unlike some of this parish, I have
never seen these things going for a tenner, or whatever!

I have used such grinders before (a long time ago) and am a little
chary of them, and keen to be as safe as possible with it. What I'm
wondering is, it it worth getting better quality wheels from a safety
angle - ie. are the cheaper ones (as fitted) more likely to shatter
than more expensive ones? Would it be worth replacing the unbroken
coarse one as well? (I'm assuming things like wheel balance is likely
to be better on replacement wheels, compared to the original fitted
ones).

Also, is it possible to run the thing with just the one remaining
wheel, or will it be unbalanced like that?

Thanks
Jo N

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

jkn wrote:
[...]

Get yuorself to a local ALDI they where selling 8 for a tenner recently?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

jkn wrote:
I've just 'acquired' a PP 6" bench grinder. It was being thrown out
because one of the wheels has broken.

I know this is no great quality product but I have a use for a bench
grinder and would like to get this going. I realise I'll be paying a
few quid for a new wheel(s) but unlike some of this parish, I have
never seen these things going for a tenner, or whatever!

Aldi had two sizes of wheel about a fortnight ago (and
grinders, too) - try there, if convenient..

I have used such grinders before (a long time ago) and am a little
chary of them, and keen to be as safe as possible with it. What I'm
wondering is, it it worth getting better quality wheels from a safety
angle - ie. are the cheaper ones (as fitted) more likely to shatter
than more expensive ones? Would it be worth replacing the unbroken
coarse one as well? (I'm assuming things like wheel balance is likely
to be better on replacement wheels, compared to the original fitted
ones).

Why did the wheel burst? Was it dropped, or something similar?
The balance should be OK on fitted or replacement wheels, I
shouldn't think you'd have to "dress" them.

Also, is it possible to run the thing with just the one remaining
wheel, or will it be unbalanced like that?

Probably won't make any difference.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
James

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message

Also, is it possible to run the thing with just the one remaining
wheel, or will it be unbalanced like that?

I would be wary in case the remaining wheel has also suffered some (unseen)
damage. But of course you can never be sure of past history of even a "new"
wheel.

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn

Hi Guys
Thanks for the comments. I've ended up picking up a couple of these
cheap wheels from Aldi (a half-hour drive away but at least I've found
out where it is). Hopefully this will suit my limited needs.

Cheers
Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On 15 Jan 2006 13:17:41 -0800, "jkn" wrote:

|Hi Guys
| Thanks for the comments. I've ended up picking up a couple of these
|cheap wheels from Aldi (a half-hour drive away but at least I've found
|out where it is). Hopefully this will suit my limited needs.

Best to check with the that branch before traveling. The Aldi and Lidl
specials only last a short time until they are sold out. The time before
they are sold out, may be less than an hour, or in some cases minutes.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net