Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default grinding wheels for cheap Bench Grinder

jkn wrote:
Hi all
I've just 'acquired' a PP 6" bench grinder. It was being thrown
out because one of the wheels has broken.

I know this is no great quality product but I have a use for a bench
grinder and would like to get this going. I realise I'll be paying a
few quid for a new wheel(s) but unlike some of this parish, I have
never seen these things going for a tenner, or whatever!

I have used such grinders before (a long time ago) and am a little
chary of them, and keen to be as safe as possible with it. What I'm
wondering is, it it worth getting better quality wheels from a safety
angle - ie. are the cheaper ones (as fitted) more likely to shatter
than more expensive ones? Would it be worth replacing the unbroken
coarse one as well? (I'm assuming things like wheel balance is likely
to be better on replacement wheels, compared to the original fitted
ones).

Also, is it possible to run the thing with just the one remaining
wheel, or will it be unbalanced like that?

Thanks
Jo N

Get yuorself to a local ALDI they where selling 8 for a tenner recently?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite