Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where do the guys on the Woodsmith tv program get that straight wood?

Every time I see those Woodsmith guys on the tv, they have super straight
absolutely knot free wood. Where the heck do they get it?

Do you guys always have wood with no twist in it? If not, how do you get
rid of it?

I only have a 6" jointer. Am I stuck with hand planes?

Pete Stanaitis

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pete S" wrote:

Every time I see those Woodsmith guys on the tv, they have super
straight absolutely knot free wood. Where the heck do they get it?

---------------------------------
At a good wood store, Home Depot, Lowes don't count.
----------------------------------

Do you guys always have wood with no twist in it? If not, how do
you get rid of it?

-----------------------------------
All rough lumber is cupped, twisted, bowed, etc.

Take your pick.

That's why jointers and thickness planes exist.
I only have a 6" jointer.

--------------------------------------
That's all I had, worked for me.

I regularly rip, joint and re-glue boards wider than 5".

---------------------------------------
Am I stuck with hand planes?

Only by choice.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 00:50:12 -0600, Edward A. Falk wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Pete S wrote:
Every time I see those Woodsmith guys on the tv, they have super straight
absolutely knot free wood. Where the heck do they get it?

They have production staffs to hit the lumber yards and cherry-pick
the lumber they'll be using.

And as other posters have suggested, they probably flatten and square
the boards before hand.

Where do they get that double sided tape that comes with the confounded peel
away backing already dog eared for easy removal?

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, I'd like to know more about the tape, too. I've heard that it's
"carpet tape". But I bought some and it didn't work very well for me.
Is there some specific brand or type that I should be looking for?

In the latest issue of Wood magazine, they had a neat article about jointing
a board that is wider than your jointer. To do it, you need this kind of
tape.
To late for my current bench top project, but I'll use the process next
time.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 00:50:12 -0600, Edward A. Falk wrote
(in article ):

snip
Where do they get that double sided tape that comes with the confounded
peel
away backing already dog eared for easy removal?

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pete S wrote:
Every time I see those Woodsmith guys on the tv, they have super straight
absolutely knot free wood. Where the heck do they get it?

They have production staffs to hit the lumber yards and cherry-pick
the lumber they'll be using.

And as other posters have suggested, they probably flatten and square
the boards before hand.

Where do they get that double sided tape that comes with the confounded peel
away backing already dog eared for easy removal
================================================== ===========================
The secret to peeling double sided tape is to apply the tape then take a
knife and slice it a few inches from the end. It is then easy to pick up the
ends of the slice with the knife blade. Standard machine shop practice.

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in
m:

Where do they get that double sided tape that comes with the
confounded peel away backing already dog eared for easy removal
====== The secret to peeling double sided tape is to apply the tape
then take a knife and slice it a few inches from the end. It is then
easy to pick up the ends of the slice with the knife blade. Standard
machine shop practice.

-BR

If they would put the backing on in two slightly overlapped pieces (0.5mm
is probably enough), getting the backing off should be much easier. I
guess the trick is to make sure it doesn't come off before it's ready to
be taken off.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/6/2012 9:59 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in
m:

Where do they get that double sided tape that comes with the
confounded peel away backing already dog eared for easy removal
====== The secret to peeling double sided tape is to apply the tape
then take a knife and slice it a few inches from the end. It is then
easy to pick up the ends of the slice with the knife blade. Standard
machine shop practice.

-BR

If they would put the backing on in two slightly overlapped pieces (0.5mm
is probably enough), getting the backing off should be much easier. I
guess the trick is to make sure it doesn't come off before it's ready to
be taken off.

Puckdropper

Only the top piece. The bottom piece still needs a stage grip to get it
started...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote in
m:

On 4/6/2012 9:59 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

If they would put the backing on in two slightly overlapped pieces
(0.5mm is probably enough), getting the backing off should be much
easier. I guess the trick is to make sure it doesn't come off before
it's ready to be taken off.

Puckdropper

Only the top piece. The bottom piece still needs a stage grip to get
it started...

Maybe a zig-zag would work, then.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 18:04:54 -0600, CW wrote
(in article ):

Where do they get that double sided tape that comes with the confounded peel
away backing already dog eared for easy removal
================================================== ===========================

-BR

The secret to peeling double sided tape is to apply the tape then take a
knife and slice it a few inches from the end. It is then easy to pick up the
ends of the slice with the knife blade. Standard machine shop practice.

Interesting!

When making my round frames on the router table, I use 4 or more pieces of
tape to hold the frame to the jig. Peeling away the backing (with a razor
blade) usually results in peeling away the tape on the first few tries. This
trick may be a real sanity saver...

-BR