Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Making a pow wow drum using straight wood

I'm making a large native american pow wow drum. It has a diameter of
42" with a depth of 7.5"
I calculated the circumferance and then devided it up ending up with
5.5" peices (24 of them) I devided 360 degrees by 24 = 15 degrees
and 15 devided by 2 = 7.5 degrees

So I cut 24 pieces at 5.5 inches with 7.5 degrees on each edge so when
glued together I would have a circle of 42". Is the the best approach
to create a circular shape with straight wood?
Any other ideas would be appreciated.
thanks chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Is the the best approach to create a circular shape with straight wood?

I'd use a lime (basswood) log and hollow it.