Evon

Default Hand held planner

I'm in the market for a hand held planner. What's a good size than can be
easily controlled by hand? What is a good make and model? Thanks, Evon

David

I have a DeWalt. I never use it. What do you want a hand
held planner for, may I ask? It qualifies as one of those
tools that I thought I wanted/needed but find it isn't too
useful except for knocking high spots off of a warped stud
when building walls. I see no place for it in fine woodworking.

David

Evon wrote:

I'm in the market for a hand held planner. What's a good size than can be
easily controlled by hand? What is a good make and model? Thanks, Evon

Evon

I like to make furniture out of old wood. Sometimes I need to flatten a
board. My shop space is limited so I thought maybe a hand held planner would
save me a trip to the local planning mill and the $ 12.00 USD they charge me
to run a board thru the planner a couple of times.

Evon wrote:

I'm in the market for a hand held planner. What's a good size than can

be
easily controlled by hand? What is a good make and model? Thanks, Evon

David

To flatten a board without a surface planer, I suggest you
invest in some planes. I'm not totally conversant with all
the types of planes, but if you Google on the subject within
rec.woodworking, you'll find tons of useful info here. The
only plane I have at the moment is a Veritas Low Angle
Smoother. Planes won't take up much space in your shop, but
they can sure remove a lot of green from your wallet!

You might want to get ahold of a copy of the Lee Valley
catalog, or go to their web site. (They sell great planes -
Veritas)

A powered hand plane isn't going to give satisfactory
results on a wide panel.

David

Evon wrote:

I'm in the market for a hand held planner. What's a good size than can

be

easily controlled by hand? What is a good make and model? Thanks, Evon

Bob Jones

I got my hand held planner down at the planning commission. One day I was
in there and saw this cute little gal working on some plans for the city.
Well, sir, to make a long story short, I started dating her and before you
know it I was holding her in my hands. Oh, wait a minute, you guys
meant hand held planer.

Never mind.

Doncha hate a smartass?

David

yes. notice I spelled it both ways in 2 posts...

David

Bob Jones wrote:

Never mind.

Doncha hate a smartass?

Preston Andreas

I have the DeWalt and it is seldom used. It is 4 years old and still looks
new. It won't take the place of a jointer or planer. It is more for taking
off high spots or fitting a passage door to the opening. For a really bad
board, you might take a swipe with the electric planer, but I would follow
up with a hand plane. However, you can spend about as much getting a couple
of decent planes as you would buying a benchtop planer. And that doesn't
include the sharpening and honing equipment necessary to make the plane work
correctly. In my area, you frequently see almost new jointers and planers
in the classifieds. I'm sure from someone who just knew he was going to
love woodworking.

Preston

"Evon" wrote in message
nk.net...
I'm in the market for a hand held planner. What's a good size than can be
easily controlled by hand? What is a good make and model? Thanks, Evon

Mike Marlow

"Evon" wrote in message
nk.net...
I'm in the market for a hand held planner. What's a good size than can be
easily controlled by hand? What is a good make and model? Thanks, Evon

There have been enough posts from people who own power planes that another
one won't provide any new information, but I'll throw my on the heap, just
to add to the numbers. I like mine - maybe even love it, but that's because
it's a cool tool, not because I get much use out of it. I've taken down a
couple of door edges with it and it's a great tool for that. It works fast,
accurate and makes the right amount of noise and mess to make you know
you've used a power tool. I've tried surface planning with it and it just
fails miserably at that job. So - it sits in it's case under the work bench
99.99999999% of the time. BTW - mine is a DeWalt.
--

-Mike-

BUB 209

Hogging and tapering are a couple of good
uses for the HHP, say you're making a
ramp and want to feather the edge of a
sheet of plywood. I never know when I'm
going to need mine until I do, and that's
pretty often. All depends on the kind of
rec woodworking you're into.