Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question clarification

I should have specified in the original post. Anyone here build from
commercial plans. Everyone has a plan of some kind. I was just wondering
whether these plans are yours of someone else's. I build the entire project
as a solid model before building. That way, I am sure everything fits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in
:

I should have specified in the original post. Anyone here build from
commercial plans. Everyone has a plan of some kind. I was just
wondering whether these plans are yours of someone else's. I build the
entire project as a solid model before building. That way, I am sure
everything fits.

My plans are usually mine. I'll draw inspiration from various sources,
but when it comes time to build my project it's 100% mine. I've never
built a model before building something, but have built mockups to get a
feeling how something works or fits together.

Occasionally, I'll do an entire design in Sketchup but most of the time
the plans I make are sketches in a notebook. Sometimes it's an entire
assembly, while other times it's just a few notes on a critical area.

I often buy commercial kits for my model railroad, and modify the kit to
fit my needs. It's just part of the drive to design and make something
unique that fits the situation.

Puckdropper

--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

"CW" wrote in
:

I should have specified in the original post. Anyone here build from
commercial plans. Everyone has a plan of some kind. I was just
wondering whether these plans are yours of someone else's. I build the
entire project as a solid model before building. That way, I am sure
everything fits.

My plans are usually mine. I'll draw inspiration from various sources,
but when it comes time to build my project it's 100% mine. I've never
built a model before building something, but have built mockups to get a
feeling how something works or fits together.
By solid model, I mean CAD. I model every part, every joint. Just the way it
will be built.

I often buy commercial kits for my model railroad, and modify the kit to
fit my needs. It's just part of the drive to design and make something
unique that fits the situation.
We need pictures. I wish I had room for trains here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"CW" wrote in
:

[...]

It amazes me how many woodworkers are also model railroad enthusiast. Wonder
why that is? I use to love getting one of those Bowser Cast Locomotive kits.
My favorite was the Union Pacific Challenger and the Big Boy.
--
http://www.rentmyhusband.biz/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in
m:

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

My plans are usually mine. I'll draw inspiration from various
sources, but when it comes time to build my project it's 100% mine.
I've never built a model before building something, but have built
mockups to get a feeling how something works or fits together.
By solid model, I mean CAD. I model every part, every joint. Just the
way it will be built.

I've done a few CAD designs myself, and even built an entire project off
the design plans. I actually modeled my model railroad using CAD before
I started building it. The trouble with doing something that large is
the sense of space is disrupted.

I often buy commercial kits for my model railroad, and modify the kit
to fit my needs. It's just part of the drive to design and make
something unique that fits the situation.
We need pictures. I wish I had room for trains here.

I'll grab a picture or two after it gets dark. On the most recent
example, all I did was add an exterior door and window on the second
story and an interior.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2012 1:29 PM, CW wrote:
I should have specified in the original post. Anyone here build from
commercial plans. Everyone has a plan of some kind. I was just wondering
whether these plans are yours of someone else's. I build the entire
project as a solid model before building. That way, I am sure everything
fits.

Gotta watch these assholes around here ... they'll hijack your thread in
a NY second.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 17, 3:29*pm, "CW" wrote:
I should have specified in the original post. Anyone here build from
commercial plans. Everyone has a plan of some kind. I was just wondering
whether these plans are yours of someone else's. I build the entire project
as a solid model before building. That way, I am sure everything fits.

I did buy a set of plans for a work station...once. By the time I
recalculated everything to compensate for the fact that I couldn't buy
3/4" plywood which measured 3/4", I also found a couple of errors they
made. Once is the operative word here as it was a time waster not a
time saver.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2012 2:29 PM, CW wrote:
I should have specified in the original post. Anyone here build from
commercial plans. Everyone has a plan of some kind. I was just wondering
whether these plans are yours of someone else's. I build the entire
project as a solid model before building. That way, I am sure everything
fits.

Mine. And ONLY mine.

I can't possibly build solid models before tackling the real deal.
There's no way. And it would do any good anyway.

So I build my models in the computer.
But even then they are more "ideas" than hard plans.

I sometimes draw some patterns that have to be pretty accurate.
But he overall plans are often very general concept drawings instead
of blueprints.

Here is an example of a recent project.
A cabinet and shelves. Sounds easy enough, doesn't it?
But I'll bet it would reduce the real cabinet makers here to tears.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/cabinet.htm

There are no straight lines anywhere.
There is no level reference.
There is no vertical reference.
Symmetry is a foolish notion! Don't EVEN go there.

But that's just the way boats are...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2012 1:54 PM, Rich wrote:
wrote:

wrote in
:

[...]

Add me to the (growing?) list of model railroader woodworkers... HO
scale 12 x 18 layout, and some joint use space in the same room for
workbench, drill press, and a portable cart currently housing a small
lathe (cart doubles as a benchtop for a small benchtop router table).
The major tools are stored in a shed in the back yard, and can be used
outside as needed until the summer heat becomes too much...

Matt in AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2012 2:29 PM, CW wrote:
I should have specified in the original post. Anyone here build from commercial
plans. Everyone has a plan of some kind. I was just wondering whether these
plans are yours of someone else's. I build the entire project as a solid model
before building. That way, I am sure everything fits.

I've yet to find ANY commercial plans that describe the exact thing I want to
build. In some cases I have bought commercial plans that were similar, then
changed various aspects of the design to fit my needs.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in
m:

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

I often buy commercial kits for my model railroad, and modify the kit
to fit my needs. It's just part of the drive to design and make
something unique that fits the situation.
We need pictures. I wish I had room for trains here.

This was by no means a kitbash, just ignoring the directions to fit my
purposes. I plan to build a deck to span over the drainage ditch but
haven't gotten that far yet.

The kit and plans said nothing about adding lighting or an interior, so I
had to come up with that myself.

http://www.puckdroppersplace.us/rail...og/Office%203%
20quarters%20high.jpg

http://www.puckdroppersplace.us/rail...weblog/Office%
20Interior.jpg

http://www.puckdroppersplace.us/rail...ice%20lighted%
20Interior.jpg

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2012 8:13 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in
m:

[...]

Looks good - I've got a variation of the same building on my layout,
serving as an office at the diesel engine servicing facility. No
interior or lighting though - you're more ambitious than I on that!

http://www.arizonarails.com/images/layouts/matt2/1.JPG

Additional pictures and a room layout sketch can be seen at

http://www.arizonarails.com/members_...tt_layout.html

Click on any picture to see a larger version of it in a pop-up window
(the site does NOT have ads, so you're good to allow pop-ups on it).
And judging from the last time that page was updated, it looks like it's
time I provide the webmaster with some new pictures!

Matt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 16:28:51 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 3/17/2012 1:29 PM, CW wrote:
I should have specified in the original post. Anyone here build from
commercial plans. Everyone has a plan of some kind. I was just wondering
whether these plans are yours of someone else's. I build the entire
project as a solid model before building. That way, I am sure everything
fits.

Gotta watch these assholes around here ... they'll hijack your thread in
a NY second.

Speaking of threads, do you guys sew?
bseg

--
The greatest justice in life is that your
vision and looks tend to go simultaneously.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 15:44:39 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Mar 17, 3:29*pm, "CW" wrote:
I should have specified in the original post. Anyone here build from
commercial plans. Everyone has a plan of some kind. I was just wondering
whether these plans are yours of someone else's. I build the entire project
as a solid model before building. That way, I am sure everything fits.

I did buy a set of plans for a work station...once. By the time I
recalculated everything to compensate for the fact that I couldn't buy
3/4" plywood which measured 3/4", I also found a couple of errors they
made. Once is the operative word here as it was a time waster not a
time saver.

I've never bought commercial plans. I either sketch them out on paper
myself or modify the hell out of free plans, using only a portion of
the plan. Or I use 1 design idea from each of 6 plan sets to get what
I'm after.

--
The greatest justice in life is that your
vision and looks tend to go simultaneously.
-- Kevin Bacon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2012 1:29 PM, CW wrote:
I should have specified in the original post. Anyone here build from
commercial plans. Everyone has a plan of some kind. I was just wondering
whether these plans are yours of someone else's. I build the entire
project as a solid model before building. That way, I am sure everything
fits.

Gotta watch these assholes around here ... they'll hijack your thread in
a NY second.

Speaking of threads, do you guys sew?
Yes. I have three machines and a serger. A 1947 Singer 99K strait stitch. A
1960 singer 401G, a 70's Thomson heavy duty walking foot strait stitch and a
4 thread Babylock serger. Started as a kite maker but expanded to other
things.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2012 1:29 PM, CW wrote:
I should have specified in the original post. Anyone here build from
commercial plans. Everyone has a plan of some kind. I was just wondering
whether these plans are yours of someone else's. I build the entire
project as a solid model before building. That way, I am sure everything
fits.

Gotta watch these assholes around here ... they'll hijack your thread in
a NY second.

Speaking of threads, do you guys sew?
Yes. I have three machines and a serger. A 1947 Singer 99K strait
stitch. A 1960 singer 401G, a 70's Thomson heavy duty walking foot
strait stitch and a 4 thread Babylock serger. Started as a kite maker
but expanded to other things.

Yep
A small Brother and an old Singer.
And a very well stocked Bosun's bag.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Matt wrote in
b.com:

Looks good - I've got a variation of the same building on my layout,
serving as an office at the diesel engine servicing facility. No
interior or lighting though - you're more ambitious than I on that!

http://www.arizonarails.com/images/layouts/matt2/1.JPG

Additional pictures and a room layout sketch can be seen at

http://www.arizonarails.com/members_...tt_layout.html

Click on any picture to see a larger version of it in a pop-up window
(the site does NOT have ads, so you're good to allow pop-ups on it).
And judging from the last time that page was updated, it looks like
it's time I provide the webmaster with some new pictures!

Matt

That's the interesting thing about those buildings... They're generic
enough to be used for anything, but easy to modify for a specific purpose.
I'm not sure what the real ones are called, but I usually refer to them as
"Pikestuff Buildings". A good many are that exact color, too.

The lighting and interior wasn't too bad. All I did was build a box and
drill a couple holes for the lights. The interior has only 4 objects in
it, looking through the window less is more. The real trick was getting
the walls to be opaque enough I don't have a glowing building.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/17/2012 2:29 PM, CW wrote:
I should have specified in the original post. Anyone here build from
commercial plans. Everyone has a plan of some kind. I was just wondering
whether these plans are yours of someone else's. I build the entire
project as a solid model before building. That way, I am sure everything
fits.

I draw my own detailed plans. BUT NEVER build it twice.

A hint here, if you measure where each piece fits as you build before
cutting the piece you do not have to make a test run.