Posted to rec.woodworking

Default "Best" primer for painted cabinetry...

I'm curious about how folks paint their woodwork. Not a rub through
finish, but a nice smooth coat of pigmented lacquer or paint. I've
always thought that you'd prime and scuff until you had a flawless
surface, and then lay down one, maybe two real nice coats of paint.
Seems crazy to try and be leveling defects in paint, right? Right?!!!
JP
****************
Frustrated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 2:11*pm, JayPique wrote:
I'm curious about how folks paint their woodwork. *Not a rub through
finish, but a nice smooth coat of pigmented lacquer or paint. *I've
always thought that you'd prime and scuff until you had a flawless
surface, and then lay down one, maybe two real nice coats of paint.
Seems crazy to try and be leveling defects in paint, right? *Right?!!!
JP
****************
Frustrated.

Everyone will say Zinser BIN primer http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=216

Spray or brush. Light sanding 1 hour later. Paint.
Posted to rec.woodworking

JayPique wrote:
I'm curious about how folks paint their woodwork. Not a rub through
finish, but a nice smooth coat of pigmented lacquer or paint. I've
always thought that you'd prime and scuff until you had a flawless
surface, and then lay down one, maybe two real nice coats of paint.

Right. You need to start with a smooth, flat, flawless surface because the
paint will shrink and conform to whatever surface it calls home. All you
gotta do is avoid brush marks in the top coats.

I like Zinsser primer too but 1-2-3. It sands fairly well, better if wet
sander. If you can find a sanding surfacer, use it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 4:11 PM, JayPique wrote:
I'm curious about how folks paint their woodwork. Not a rub through
finish, but a nice smooth coat of pigmented lacquer or paint. I've
always thought that you'd prime and scuff until you had a flawless
surface, and then lay down one, maybe two real nice coats of paint.
Seems crazy to try and be leveling defects in paint, right? Right?!!!
JP
****************
Frustrated.

Yup! The smoothness of the primer is what you see after painting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 3:10*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
JayPique wrote:
I'm curious about how folks paint their woodwork. *Not a rub through
finish, but a nice smooth coat of pigmented lacquer or paint. *I've
always thought that you'd prime and scuff until you had a flawless
surface, and then lay down one, maybe two real nice coats of paint.

Right. *You need to start with a smooth, flat, flawless surface because the
paint will shrink and conform to whatever surface it calls home. *All you
gotta do is avoid brush marks in the top coats.

I like Zinsser primer too but 1-2-3. *It sands fairly well, better if wet
sander. *If you can find a sanding surfacer, use it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Yeah maybe it was 123 that everyone was touting. I used one or the
other as a base on my built-ins, sanded it out just a bit and had a
pro company spray them (yesterday literally) and they are beautiful!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use BIN on everything I can. I love the stuff. Since it is colored
shellac, you can build coats, sand easily, everything sticks to it,
and it covers stains well. Plus, it shoots unthinned right out of the
can.

When I paint wood cabs, that's the stuff for me. I put on two medium
coats, then very lightly sand where needed. Wouldn't think of a
cabinet paint job without it.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
JayPique wrote:
I'm curious about how folks paint their woodwork. Not a rub through
finish, but a nice smooth coat of pigmented lacquer or paint. I've
always thought that you'd prime and scuff until you had a flawless
surface, and then lay down one, maybe two real nice coats of paint.

Right. You need to start with a smooth, flat, flawless surface
because the paint will shrink and conform to whatever surface it
calls home. All you gotta do is avoid brush marks in the top coats.

Surface prep is everything. The better that is, the easier it is to get the
desired finish. So - a flawless finish is a good step in achieving a great
finish. That said - primer is your friend. It fills and levels
imperfections in less than flawless surfaces. Achieve a flawless primer
coat and then all you have to do is apply a flawless finish coat.

--

-Mike-