Posted to rec.woodworking
JayPique JayPique is offline

Default "Best" primer for painted cabinetry...

On Feb 10, 1:50*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
JayPique wrote:
I'm curious about how folks paint their woodwork. *Not a rub through
finish, but a nice smooth coat of pigmented lacquer or paint. *I've
always thought that you'd prime and scuff until you had a flawless
surface, and then lay down one, maybe two real nice coats of paint.

Right. *You need to start with a smooth, flat, flawless surface
because the paint will shrink and conform to whatever surface it
calls home. *All you gotta do is avoid brush marks in the top coats.

Surface prep is everything. *The better that is, the easier it is to get the
desired finish. *So - a flawless finish is a good step in achieving a great
finish. *That said - primer is your friend. *It fills and levels
imperfections in less than flawless surfaces. *Achieve a flawless primer
coat and then all you have to do is apply a flawless finish coat.

--

-Mike-

Thanks, fellas.
JP