Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Onsrud saw blades - good, bad?

Curious about the quality of Onsrud brand saw blades. I need a new
14" miter saw blade and normally use Forrest but see Onsrud and
wondered how they might stack up. Quality of cut is of primary
concern, but it looks like these can be had a LOT cheaper.
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 4, 10:38*am, JayPique wrote:
Curious about the quality of Onsrud brand saw blades. *I need a new
14" miter saw blade and normally use Forrest but see Onsrud and
wondered how they might stack up. *Quality of cut is of primary
concern, but it looks like these can be had a LOT cheaper.
JP

If their standard of quality is the same as it is for their router
bits, they'd be brilliant blades. Onsrud router bits are simply
better.
But I have never seen an Onsrud saw blade, much less used one, I can
only endorse the company to the extent I am familiar. Their focus is
industry, not so much the casual woodworker.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 4, 9:45*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 4, 10:38*am, JayPique wrote:

If their standard of quality is the same as it is for their router
bits, they'd be brilliant blades. Onsrud router bits are simply
better.

\\

Second on this. I have acquired a few Onsrud router bits over the
years for a specific contour. The stick out among anything else I
have owned with regard to cutting and holding an edge. They cost a
little more but not really that much.

However, until now, I didn't know they made saw blades but I am going
to shop around.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 4, 9:45*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 4, 10:38*am, JayPique wrote:

Curious about the quality of Onsrud brand saw blades. *I need a new
14" miter saw blade and normally use Forrest but see Onsrud and
wondered how they might stack up. *Quality of cut is of primary
concern, but it looks like these can be had a LOT cheaper.
JP

If their standard of quality is the same as it is for their router
bits, they'd be brilliant blades. Onsrud router bits are simply
better.
But I have never seen an Onsrud saw blade, much less used one, I can
only endorse the company to the extent I am familiar. Their focus is
industry, not so much the casual woodworker.

Curious - where did you find them? I just hit their web site. Under
products they list a line of German-made saw blades and sub-links for
different types. All of the links say the product is not found.

http://www.onsrud.com/xdoc/Saws

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2012 9:38 AM, JayPique wrote:
Curious about the quality of Onsrud brand saw blades. I need a new
14" miter saw blade and normally use Forrest but see Onsrud and
wondered how they might stack up. Quality of cut is of primary
concern, but it looks like these can be had a LOT cheaper.
JP

Which brand is known for the saw blades, which for router bits?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 8:47*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 2/4/2012 9:38 AM, JayPique wrote:

Curious about the quality of Onsrud brand saw blades. *I need a new
14" miter saw blade and normally use Forrest but see Onsrud and
wondered how they might stack up. *Quality of cut is of primary
concern, but it looks like these can be had a LOT cheaper.
JP

Which brand is known for the saw blades, which for router bits?

Forrest for blades, I'm not sure they make bits. I know Onsrud makes
bits, but haven't used them myself. Someone here says they're good.
Blade is in the mail...
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/7/2012 7:47 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/4/2012 9:38 AM, JayPique wrote:
Curious about the quality of Onsrud brand saw blades. I need a new
14" miter saw blade and normally use Forrest but see Onsrud and
wondered how they might stack up. Quality of cut is of primary
concern, but it looks like these can be had a LOT cheaper.
JP

Which brand is known for the saw blades, which for router bits?

I'm particularly partial to Amana Tool for router bits and shaper
cutters; their saw blades are good, too.

http://www.amanatool.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2012 6:36 PM, JayPique wrote:
On Feb 7, 8:47 am, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 2/4/2012 9:38 AM, JayPique wrote:

Curious about the quality of Onsrud brand saw blades. I need a new
14" miter saw blade and normally use Forrest but see Onsrud and
wondered how they might stack up. Quality of cut is of primary
concern, but it looks like these can be had a LOT cheaper.
JP

Which brand is known for the saw blades, which for router bits?

Forrest for blades, I'm not sure they make bits. I know Onsrud makes
bits, but haven't used them myself. Someone here says they're good.
Blade is in the mail...
JP

Lettuce know how that blade works out. Comparatively and knowing it is
a 14" monster how was the pricing as opposed to the Forrest?
Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Sorry I did not mean that to be a question so much as a suggestion as to
which to choose from on the bits. ;!)

Amana is good, I have had decent good results with Infinity better with
its old parent company JESADA and I like CMT. Whiteside better still.

I have seen no reason yet to steer from Forrest on blades.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 8:19*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 2/7/2012 7:03 PM, dpb wrote:

On 2/7/2012 7:47 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Well the Forrest Blade I was considering sells for around $175, and
the Onsrud I got off eBay was $32 shipped. I can always send it out
to Forrest for resharpening too. I have to pick up my Omga T 50 350
in Lebanon, PA when I head south for vacation so I won't be able to
review for another month.
JP

PS - Can you say "drive-by"? hehehe....
Posted to rec.woodworking

I had awful results with Jesada. I had pattern bits that one cutter
stuck out past the bearing.
They replaced it with something worse.
I bought a few flush trim , straight, and spiral. There was a dust cap
on the bearing that was leaving a mark on everything. They blamed the
bearing manufacturer. I blame them for the dust cap..

I bought a door set that the coping doesn't fit together. The coping
just doesn't match. I can cut the coping off to see and it's not close.

I won't buy either infinity or Jesada. I didn't know Infinity took over
Jesada. Should have known, the same sales group was doing sales for them.

For the price (premium) I got less than economy. I threw away hundreds.
One customer that will never come back.

On 2/7/2012 8:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/7/2012 7:03 PM, dpb wrote:
On 2/7/2012 7:47 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2012 7:03 PM, dpb wrote:

On 2/7/2012 7:47 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Yeah you say can drive by and no-brainer. Surely that was not new, was it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2012 11:16 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I had awful results with Jesada. I had pattern bits that one cutter
stuck out past the bearing.
They replaced it with something worse.
I bought a few flush trim , straight, and spiral. There was a dust cap
on the bearing that was leaving a mark on everything. They blamed the
bearing manufacturer. I blame them for the dust cap..

I bought a door set that the coping doesn't fit together. The coping
just doesn't match. I can cut the coping off to see and it's not close.

I won't buy either infinity or Jesada. I didn't know Infinity took over
Jesada. Should have known, the same sales group was doing sales for them.

JESADA was good at one time many years ago but,

Infinity did not take over JESADA. JESADA was a result of a law suite
against CMT USA by CMT. CMT USA lost the trial and had to quit making
CMT USA orange bits and rename the product. JESADA was born. The name
was derived from the first two letters of each of the owners children's
names. JESADA was sold and was/is still in existence long after
Infinity was born and their quality went down the tubes shortly there
after. Before the sale I had no problems at all. David, the DA in
JESADA, started up the Infinity company but did not/does not manufacture
their own bits as the original CMT USA/JESADA did. I may have made an
incorrect association between JESADA and Infinity previously but there
was a relationship there.

On 2/7/2012 8:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/7/2012 7:03 PM, dpb wrote:
On 2/7/2012 7:47 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 7:20 AM, Leon wrote:

Infinity did not take over JESADA. JESADA was a result of a law suite
against CMT USA by CMT. CMT USA lost the trial and had to quit making
CMT USA orange bits and rename the product. JESADA was born. The name
was derived from the first two letters of each of the owners children's
names. JESADA was sold and was/is still in existence long after Infinity
was born and their quality went down the tubes shortly there after.
Before the sale I had no problems at all. David, the DA in JESADA,
started up the Infinity company but did not/does not manufacture their
own bits as the original CMT USA/JESADA did. I may have made an
incorrect association between JESADA and Infinity previously but there
was a relationship there.

At one point Delta shipped some pretty good blades with the UniSaw that
were third party. Do your remember who made those?

They were almost as good as a Forrest ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/7/2012 7:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/7/2012 7:03 PM, dpb wrote:

I'm particularly partial to Amana Tool for router bits and shaper
cutters; their saw blades are good, too.

Sorry I did not mean that to be a question so much as a suggestion as to
which to choose from on the bits. ;!)

Well, I made a suggestion... If it wasn't here, I was going to make
the point in reply somewhere else unless somebody else did first...

Amana is good, I have had decent good results with Infinity better with
its old parent company JESADA and I like CMT. Whiteside better still.

IMO, while Whiteside is good, Amana is hands-down better...at perhaps
slightly higher initial cost.

I have seen no reason yet to steer from Forrest on blades.

Price/quality ratio is the primary one imo -- I think value is better w/
some others...essentially the same quality of cut at quite a lot less cost.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 9:06 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/7/2012 7:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/7/2012 7:03 PM, dpb wrote:

I'm particularly partial to Amana Tool for router bits and shaper
cutters; their saw blades are good, too.

Sorry I did not mean that to be a question so much as a suggestion as to
which to choose from on the bits. ;!)

Well, I made a suggestion... If it wasn't here, I was going to make
the point in reply somewhere else unless somebody else did first...

Amana is good, I have had decent good results with Infinity better with
its old parent company JESADA and I like CMT. Whiteside better still.

IMO, while Whiteside is good, Amana is hands-down better...at perhaps
slightly higher initial cost.

I have seen no reason yet to steer from Forrest on blades.

Price/quality ratio is the primary one imo -- I think value is better w/
some others...essentially the same quality of cut at quite a lot less cost.

--

How about usage between sharpenings? I mounted a new WWII around 16
months ago and it has seen a kitchen remodel with Swingman and several

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 10:20 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Production type cutters, such as 2 flute upcut solid carbide 1/2", or
compression bits, Onsrud simply excels. Amana, if they offered the
same bits, in terms of size, geometry, would be every bit as good. I
use both in my CNC and am very pleased with both Amana and Onsrud.
Velepec makes a quality bit as well.
When it comes to profile bits, such as round-overs, bevels, ogees etc,
I stick to Royce when I can. On a smaller project, when in need, I
will buy Freud, but they just don't stand up.
For specialty bits, for plastics or aluminum, Belin makes the best.
The bits that use inserts: Amana Onsrud, Royce.

But that's just how that works for me. YMMV

Ditto ...I have a couple of Amana 1/2" shank pattern bits that are
always my "goto" bits for critical pattern jig use, as in chair legs and
curved back rests.

Also have an Amana dado set that I would not part with, despite the fact
that the Freud Dial-a-width set gets more use because on the lack of
needing to deal with shims.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/8/2012 11:20 AM, Leon wrote:

How about usage between sharpenings? I mounted a new WWII around 16
months ago and it has seen ...

[a veritable plethora of work elided for brevity ]
... and so far the blade is still giving me a pristine edge...

I don't have firm data on number of feet for comparison, no, but...

I do (and have always done) mostly architectural work over furniture and
new cabinets in generally retrofits/rebuilds of older places from
Federal to turn-of-century. Most of these are places that are being
restored from years of neglect and/or abuse such as converted to
rentals, college housing or worse and thus are littered w/ multiple
coats of enamel paint, much dirt, etc., etc., etc., ...

Obviously such use is far harder on a blade than new lumber of whatever
species (other than, perhaps, a very few of the tropicals) and I've
never felt the service from the Amana or others has been inferior
considering the conditions.

I do have a couple Forrest but given the initial cost I probably
wouldn't subject them to as much abuse as would routine otherwise.

But, I don't think the Amana, say, carbide is less in either quantity
nor quality than the Forrest--they can be resharpened multiple times and
teeth repaired, etc., etc., too...

I'm not knocking Forrest at all here--I am just not convinced the price
differential is justified for most, however; I think a lot of their
cachet is good marketing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 2:48 PM, dpb wrote:
On 2/8/2012 11:20 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Thank you, I know you were not knocking Forrest and I hope I did not
sound like I was knocking your selections. I am just trying to get a feel.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/8/2012 3:19 PM, Leon wrote:

Thank you, I know you were not knocking Forrest and I hope I did not
sound like I was knocking your selections. I am just trying to get a feel.

Understood.

Bottom line is I doubt you would be disappointed in the service...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 8:42 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/8/2012 7:20 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I'm still using mine and the danged thing's never been sharpened! I've had my
Woodworker II sharpened once, but it's sitting in the box at the moment and the
original Delta blade that came with my Unisaw is the one getting all the use.
Not to say it couldn't stand to be sharpened too, but *damn* it's been a nice
blade.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 10:40 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 2/8/2012 8:42 AM, Swingman wrote:

At one point Delta shipped some pretty good blades with the UniSaw
that were
third party. Do your remember who made those?

They were almost as good as a Forrest ...

I'm still using mine and the danged thing's never been sharpened! I've
had my Woodworker II sharpened once, but it's sitting in the box at the
moment and the original Delta blade that came with my Unisaw is the one
getting all the use. Not to say it couldn't stand to be sharpened too,
but *damn* it's been a nice blade.

Was just trying to remember the name of the blade manufacturer and found
it, by doing a Google groups search on "Frank Boettcher, remember him?

It was "Leitz".

Funny thing is, and an offshoot of the above search, was seeing that you
and I had this same discussion in August of 2002, almost ten years ago,
right here on the wRec.

Dayum, time flies ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 12:01*am, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Running into the old archives is enlightening, to be sure. The mind
boggles.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 11:01 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

http://www.leitztooling.com/sawblades.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 6:31 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Yeah, my blade is Delta catalog number 35-617, with a 10"x50 ATB&R
configuration. It has 10 "sections" of 5 teeth each, with the first tooth of
each section being a flat-top grind (great for leaving a flat-bottom cut if
you're cutting narrow dadoes in multiple passes). That appears to coincide
with the Leitz model number 130022637, although the generic picture of the
blade style shown on this page
http://www.woodtechtooling.net/Saw_B...aw_blades.html doesn't
really look correct. If that is indeed the same blade, and $63.90 is indeed
the going price, I think I may have to order me up a few! :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2012 11:01 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/8/2012 10:40 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 2/8/2012 8:42 AM, Swingman wrote:

At one point Delta shipped some pretty good blades with the UniSaw
that were
third party. Do your remember who made those?

They were almost as good as a Forrest ...

I'm still using mine and the danged thing's never been sharpened! I've
had my Woodworker II sharpened once, but it's sitting in the box at the
moment and the original Delta blade that came with my Unisaw is the one
getting all the use. Not to say it couldn't stand to be sharpened too,
but *damn* it's been a nice blade.

Was just trying to remember the name of the blade manufacturer and found it, by
doing a Google groups search on "Frank Boettcher, remember him?

Hmmm. No I don't remember Frank, but then again I don't remember half the
important things my wife told me yesterday!

It was "Leitz".

Funny thing is, and an offshoot of the above search, was seeing that you and I
had this same discussion in August of 2002, almost ten years ago, right here on
the wRec.

Dayum, time flies ...

That it does. Time to get hopping on more accomplishments!

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 9:16 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 2/8/2012 11:01 PM, Swingman wrote:

Was just trying to remember the name of the blade manufacturer and
found it, by
doing a Google groups search on "Frank Boettcher, remember him?

Hmmm. No I don't remember Frank, but then again I don't remember half
the important things my wife told me yesterday!

IIRC, Frank was the plant manager of Delta's Tupelo plant that built the
UniSaw. He posted here for a few years, but stopped doing so after he
apparently lost his shop to Katrina.

Needless to say, Frank was a wealth of information for anything to do
with Delta tools.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 9:12 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

Yeah, my blade is Delta catalog number 35-617, with a 10"x50 ATB&R
configuration. It has 10 "sections" of 5 teeth each, with the first
tooth of each section being a flat-top grind (great for leaving a
flat-bottom cut if you're cutting narrow dadoes in multiple passes).
That appears to coincide with the Leitz model number 130022637, although
the generic picture of the blade style shown on this page
http://www.woodtechtooling.net/Saw_B...aw_blades.html
doesn't really look correct. If that is indeed the same blade, and
$63.90 is indeed the going price, I think I may have to order me up a
few! :-)

No kidding ... ours are the same:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...58986835896594

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 9:42 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/9/2012 9:12 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

Yeah, my blade is Delta catalog number 35-617, with a 10"x50 ATB&R
configuration. It has 10 "sections" of 5 teeth each, with the first
tooth of each section being a flat-top grind (great for leaving a
flat-bottom cut if you're cutting narrow dadoes in multiple passes).
That appears to coincide with the Leitz model number 130022637, although
the generic picture of the blade style shown on this page
http://www.woodtechtooling.net/Saw_B...aw_blades.html

doesn't really look correct. If that is indeed the same blade, and
$63.90 is indeed the going price, I think I may have to order me up a
few! :-)

No kidding ... ours are the same:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...58986835896594

Wow! 8,000 RPM rating! Imagine how smooth that would cut.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 9:48 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/9/2012 9:42 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/9/2012 9:12 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
doesn't really look correct. If that is indeed the same blade, and
$63.90 is indeed the going price, I think I may have to order me up a
few! :-)

No kidding ... ours are the same:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...58986835896594

Wow! 8,000 RPM rating! Imagine how smooth that would cut.

Damn right ... and when they say kickback, they're talking *industrial
kickback* ... none of this sissy gar_shop stuff.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 9:42 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/9/2012 9:12 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

Yeah, my blade is Delta catalog number 35-617, with a 10"x50 ATB&R
configuration. It has 10 "sections" of 5 teeth each, with the first
tooth of each section being a flat-top grind (great for leaving a
flat-bottom cut if you're cutting narrow dadoes in multiple passes).
That appears to coincide with the Leitz model number 130022637, although
the generic picture of the blade style shown on this page
http://www.woodtechtooling.net/Saw_B...aw_blades.html
doesn't really look correct. If that is indeed the same blade, and
$63.90 is indeed the going price, I think I may have to order me up a
few! :-)

No kidding ... ours are the same:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...58986835896594

Yep, that's it. 'cept mine is cleaner. :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 10:42 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 2/9/2012 9:42 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/9/2012 9:12 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

Yeah, my blade is Delta catalog number 35-617, with a 10"x50 ATB&R
configuration. It has 10 "sections" of 5 teeth each, with the first
tooth of each section being a flat-top grind (great for leaving a
flat-bottom cut if you're cutting narrow dadoes in multiple passes).
That appears to coincide with the Leitz model number 130022637, although
the generic picture of the blade style shown on this page
http://www.woodtechtooling.net/Saw_B...aw_blades.html

doesn't really look correct. If that is indeed the same blade, and
$63.90 is indeed the going price, I think I may have to order me up a
few! :-)

No kidding ... ours are the same:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...58986835896594

Yep, that's it. 'cept mine is cleaner. :-)

LOL ... I use mine these days to cut only the finest, plantation grown,
pressure treated, wetter the better, #3 SYP!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 10:02 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/9/2012 9:48 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/9/2012 9:42 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/9/2012 9:12 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
doesn't really look correct. If that is indeed the same blade, and
$63.90 is indeed the going price, I think I may have to order me up a
few! :-)

No kidding ... ours are the same:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...58986835896594

Wow! 8,000 RPM rating! Imagine how smooth that would cut.

Damn right ... and when they say kickback, they're talking *industrial
kickback* ... none of this sissy gar_shop stuff.

I was just thinking about that sissy bruise I got, about this time last
year, with that wonky maple. I guess you could'a got my Festool tools
from Kim at a good price. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 10:50 AM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Cant wait till I hear about you building fences with your Festool Track
saw.!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 9:48 AM, Leon wrote:

Wow! 8,000 RPM rating! Imagine how smooth that would cut.

Damn right ... and when they say kickback, they're talking *industrial
kickback* ... none of this sissy gar_shop stuff.

I was just thinking about that sissy bruise I got, about this time last
year, with that wonky maple. I guess you could'a got my Festool tools
from Kim at a good price. :~)

Yabbut, that gal would charge me sales tax!!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2012 3:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/9/2012 10:50 AM, Swingman wrote:

LOL ... I use mine these days to cut only the finest, plantation grown,
pressure treated, wetter the better, #3 SYP!

Cant wait till I hear about you building fences with your Festool Track
saw.!

Leon, ferrcrissasakes, Bubba, no, no ... not fences! ...farking hen
houses are low enough to stoop!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 15:19:12 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/9/2012 3:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/9/2012 10:50 AM, Swingman wrote:

LOL ... I use mine these days to cut only the finest, plantation grown,
pressure treated, wetter the better, #3 SYP!

Cant wait till I hear about you building fences with your Festool Track
saw.!

Leon, ferrcrissasakes, Bubba, no, no ... not fences! ...farking hen
houses are low enough to stoop!

He pulled a coop d'etat on ya, eh, Swingy?

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin