Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rebirth of the American Chestnut Tree

http://www.americanprofile.com/artic...chestnut-tree/

I hope they succeed! I'm too young to have ever seen a Chestnut tree in the
wild, but I hope I get to see one before I die.

Also check out the American Chestnut Foundation:
http://www.acf.org/

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/6/2012 10:55 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

I hope they succeed! I'm too young to have ever seen a Chestnut tree in
the wild,

Well, not entirely...

VPI has a couple from which the seed stock for the work originated that
came back from the roots of trees that were severely damaged but not
completely killed. They have protected the locations of these
assiduously over the many years to prevent them from being poached.

I have seen one of them in accompaniment w/ one of the original
researches some 30 yr ago now while still located in Lynchburg. It was
about 20-ft at that time.

... but I hope I get to see one before I die.

It will indeed be a wondrous event when they are widely redistributed
across all the Appalachians/Blue Ridge.

Along the same vein there are still some small areas of TVA land that
have not been logged that have tremendous stands of beech and other
native hardwoods that are truly awesome. These are also pretty well
kept under wraps as they are small individual stands as opposed to
larger areas...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Steve Turner wrote in
:

http://www.americanprofile.com/artic...erican-chestnu
t-tree/

I hope they succeed! I'm too young to have ever seen a Chestnut tree
in the wild, but I hope I get to see one before I die.

Also check out the American Chestnut Foundation:
http://www.acf.org/

I am not going to say where I have seen them, but I have seen them in NY
State, under guidance of a naturalist. They are all saplings, perhaps
bearing a few nuts, then die of the disease. So they aren't really
extinct, but they don't ever get fully grown. I sure hope that these
"new" and resistant trees are going to make it, and that the virus won't
mutate enough to nullify the resistance.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Han wrote in
:

Steve Turner wrote in
:

http://www.americanprofile.com/artic...merican-chestn
u t-tree/

I hope they succeed! I'm too young to have ever seen a Chestnut tree
in the wild, but I hope I get to see one before I die.

Also check out the American Chestnut Foundation:
http://www.acf.org/

I am not going to say where I have seen them, but I have seen them in
NY State, under guidance of a naturalist. They are all saplings,
perhaps bearing a few nuts, then die of the disease. So they aren't
really extinct, but they don't ever get fully grown. I sure hope that
these "new" and resistant trees are going to make it, and that the
virus won't mutate enough to nullify the resistance.

Oosp, not a virus, but a fungus. Is totally different.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 10:55:24 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

http://www.americanprofile.com/artic...chestnut-tree/

I hope they succeed! I'm too young to have ever seen a Chestnut tree in the
wild, but I hope I get to see one before I die.

Also check out the American Chestnut Foundation:
http://www.acf.org/

I the yard we have a Chinese Chestnest and its off spring, the deer
and the squirrels not as majestic as the American variety.