Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Barn wood

I got some barnwood, and I want to make a bookcase looking thing in my shop
to put my old timey items on. Problem is, where I cut across the old wood,
it exposes nice grain and color of hidden wood, and that doesn't go with the
grey of the weathered wood. I know I can router a groove and hide a lot of
it, but what do I do where I just can't hide it, and want it all to look
like it's been weathered evenly? Some type of acid? Common cleaner?
Vinegar? I'd guess the wood is either cedar or pine, most probably pine.

TIA

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 20:41:57 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

it, but what do I do where I just can't hide it, and want it all to look
like it's been weathered evenly? Some type of acid? Common cleaner?
Vinegar? I'd guess the wood is either cedar or pine, most probably pine.

Barnwood Effects in Painting
http://www.ehow.com/info_8678791_bar...-painting.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 4, 11:41*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I got some barnwood, and I want to make a bookcase looking thing in my shop
to put my old timey items on. *Problem is, where I cut across the old wood,
it exposes nice grain and color of hidden wood, and that doesn't go with the
grey of the weathered wood. *I know I can router a groove and hide a lot of
it, but what do I do where I just can't hide it, and want it all to look
like it's been weathered evenly? *Some type of acid? *Common cleaner?
Vinegar? *I'd guess the wood is either cedar or pine, most probably pine.

TIA

Steve

I built a fireplace surround for a lady with old barnwood and I used
gray primer and red primer and brown paint to blend it all in. These
were all spray paints out of a can. The wood I was using was eastern
hemlock and the end result was pretty cool. Gray was the last color..

RP
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:

I got some barnwood, and I want to make a bookcase looking thing in my
shop
to put my old timey items on. Problem is, where I cut across the old
wood, it exposes nice grain and color of hidden wood, and that doesn't go
with the
grey of the weathered wood. I know I can router a groove and hide a lot
of it, but what do I do where I just can't hide it, and want it all to
look
like it's been weathered evenly? Some type of acid? Common cleaner?
Vinegar? I'd guess the wood is either cedar or pine, most probably pine.

TIA

Steve

Steve, the easiest thing is to edge band the exposed wood with strips cut
from wood with the grey platina. There is a product called "Old Growth" and
here is a review of it

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchi...oldgrowth.html

I have no idea if it is still available. I have some on hand but have not
used it in years. It will age the wood, but the finished product does not
look as good as the original and it changes the texture of the wood to the
touch.

If you were really wanting to hide the edges totally, cut a "V" groove and
your edge banding pieces to match and simply glue it up. Its a bit of work,
but you wind up with the edges that are exactly the same color as the rest
of the case.

Enjoy

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/4/2012 10:41 PM, Steve B wrote:
I got some barnwood, and I want to make a bookcase looking thing in my shop
to put my old timey items on. Problem is, where I cut across the old wood,
it exposes nice grain and color of hidden wood, and that doesn't go with the
grey of the weathered wood. I know I can router a groove and hide a lot of
it, but what do I do where I just can't hide it, and want it all to look
like it's been weathered evenly? Some type of acid? Common cleaner?
Vinegar? I'd guess the wood is either cedar or pine, most probably pine.

Well, it shouldn't be hard to determine whether it's cedar as opposed to
pine...

Poster Dr Deb pointed to one way; w/ some effort you could, providing
you have enough material, even make end grain banding for the exposed
ends as suggested there.

Depending on just what you're making and after, an alternative would be
to miter the corners to avoid having any exposed ends on the external
casework/carcase.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2012 10:41 PM, Steve B wrote:
I got some barnwood, and I want to make a bookcase looking thing in my shop
to put my old timey items on. Problem is, where I cut across the old wood,
it exposes nice grain and color of hidden wood, and that doesn't go with the
grey of the weathered wood. I know I can router a groove and hide a lot of
it, but what do I do where I just can't hide it, and want it all to look
like it's been weathered evenly? Some type of acid? Common cleaner?
Vinegar? I'd guess the wood is either cedar or pine, most probably pine.

TIA

Steve

Slow but sure, exposure to sunlight. I will take about a year.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 09:01:50 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/4/2012 10:41 PM, Steve B wrote:
I got some barnwood, and I want to make a bookcase looking thing in my shop
to put my old timey items on. Problem is, where I cut across the old wood,
it exposes nice grain and color of hidden wood, and that doesn't go with the
grey of the weathered wood. I know I can router a groove and hide a lot of
it, but what do I do where I just can't hide it, and want it all to look
like it's been weathered evenly? Some type of acid? Common cleaner?
Vinegar? I'd guess the wood is either cedar or pine, most probably pine.

Slow but sure, exposure to sunlight. I will take about a year.

UV lamps might speed that up a whole lot.

http://tinyurl.com/7axe3rf More possibilities.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 4, 10:41*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I got some barnwood, and I want to make a bookcase looking thing in my shop
to put my old timey items on. *Problem is, where I cut across the old wood,
it exposes nice grain and color of hidden wood, and that doesn't go with the
grey of the weathered wood. *I know I can router a groove and hide a lot of
it, but what do I do where I just can't hide it, and want it all to look
like it's been weathered evenly? *Some type of acid? *Common cleaner?
Vinegar? *I'd guess the wood is either cedar or pine, most probably pine.

TIA

Steve

Years ago I made quite a few picture frames from grayed barnwood.
Some had several layers of wood built up to create different kinds of
decorative cross sections. I just tried to blend the grey with the
fresh to provide visual interest.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

Slow but sure, exposure to sunlight. I will take about a year.

And if you are really creative..., you could create a little weather
chamber. sun, rain, wind, etc. I am certain that you could age those edges
on the boards in only 3 months! ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
b.com...

"Leon" wrote

Slow but sure, exposure to sunlight. I will take about a year.

And if you are really creative..., you could create a little weather
chamber. sun, rain, wind, etc. I am certain that you could age those edges
on the boards in only 3 months! ;-)
Of course, a good coat or two of paint will solve the problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 09:01:50 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Slow but sure, exposure to sunlight. I will take about a year.

I built a bar once for a friend who wanted it made out of barn wood.
For the exposed edges, I browned (not blackened) them with a propane
torch. Surprisingly, it turned out looking pretty good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/4/2012 10:41 PM, Steve B wrote:
I got some barnwood, and I want to make a bookcase looking thing in my shop
to put my old timey items on. Problem is, where I cut across the old wood,
it exposes nice grain and color of hidden wood, and that doesn't go with the
grey of the weathered wood. I know I can router a groove and hide a lot of
it, but what do I do where I just can't hide it, and want it all to look
like it's been weathered evenly? Some type of acid? Common cleaner?
Vinegar? I'd guess the wood is either cedar or pine, most probably pine.

Slow but sure, exposure to sunlight. I will take about a year.

UV lamps might speed that up a whole lot.

http://tinyurl.com/7axe3rf More possibilities.

Bleach and a pressure washer will give you the texture
Cider Vinegar and steel wool will give you Ferrous Acetate? which
gives you a grey colour - particularly on oak and cedar which have a
higher Tannin or Tannic Acic content.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 4, 8:41*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I got some barnwood, and I want to make a bookcase looking thing in my shop
to put my old timey items on. *Problem is, where I cut across the old wood,
it exposes nice grain and color of hidden wood, and that doesn't go with the
grey of the weathered wood. *I know I can router a groove and hide a lot of
it, but what do I do where I just can't hide it, and want it all to look
like it's been weathered evenly? *Some type of acid? *Common cleaner?
Vinegar? *I'd guess the wood is either cedar or pine, most probably pine.

TIA

Steve

Water and sun do this the fastest in nature. I seem to recall baking
soda in water will work for redwood fresh cuts. I keep meaning to try
it.

Barn wood SteveB Home Repair 2 September 10th 08 05:36 PM
Barn Wood Salvage Buyer Needed The WoodMitch Shop Woodworking 8 April 4th 07 07:08 AM
Green Caterpillar eating barn wood Dave In WA Home Repair 2 September 19th 05 12:43 PM
Walnut lumber, barn wood and a walnut stump: for sale - Kansas City area James Hendrix Woodworking 5 August 21st 05 05:53 AM
Barn coming down, wood any good? Mike W. Woodworking 12 January 18th 05 06:11 PM