Posted to rec.woodworking

Default corrugated fasteners

Anybody have any experience with these? I've got a couple projects coming
up where these are probably the right tool for the job... NOT fine
furniture! LOL Biscuits would be way too slow and pocket screws would only
save me glue drying time over the biscuits. Mortise and tenon or lap joints
would be overkill... most of it's pretty rough work.

The Senco is pricy and way more than I need... the Rockler fasteners are too
narrow for my purposes--only a 1/2" rather than the more typical 1" or so. I
see tools by SpotNails and Air Locker are available. The Bostitch is
interesting... a brand I've got experience with... coil nailer for framing.
I didn't find Porter Cable, Harbor Freight, or others tools.

Recommendations? Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 9:36*pm, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
Anybody have any experience with these? *I've got a couple projects coming
up where these are probably the right tool for the job... NOT fine
furniture! LOL *Biscuits would be way too slow and pocket screws would only
save me glue drying time over the biscuits. Mortise and tenon or lap joints
would be overkill... most of it's pretty rough work.

The Senco is pricy and way more than I need... the Rockler fasteners are too
narrow for my purposes--only a 1/2" rather than the more typical 1" or so.. I
see tools by SpotNails and Air Locker are available. The Bostitch is
interesting... a brand I've got experience with... coil nailer for framing.
I didn't find Porter Cable, Harbor Freight, or others tools.

Recommendations? Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

Spotnails is adequate, I use(d) a Paslode MC10(??) Sometimes nothing
else will work as well as a corrugated fastener.

I would buy the Spotnails as the Paslode must be stupid money by now.
Performance in plywood can be erratic (due to grain direction changes)
and can splinter the hell out of hardwoods.
Making frames and cases out of poplar works well as does lengthening
of particle board panels like countertops. (1/2" fastener into 11/16
PB backed by a block of granite (slab of steel) as a back-stop.) These
type of nailers can kick like a mule hence make sure your work is very
well supported and (backstopped??)
Also not a good idea to use on MDF.

HTH
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...
Anybody have any experience with these? I've got a couple projects coming
up where these are probably the right tool for the job... NOT fine
furniture! LOL Biscuits would be way too slow and pocket screws would
only save me glue drying time over the biscuits. Mortise and tenon or lap
joints would be overkill... most of it's pretty rough work.

The Senco is pricy and way more than I need... the Rockler fasteners are
too narrow for my purposes--only a 1/2" rather than the more typical 1" or
so. I see tools by SpotNails and Air Locker are available. The Bostitch is
interesting... a brand I've got experience with... coil nailer for
framing. I didn't find Porter Cable, Harbor Freight, or others tools.

Recommendations? Thoughts?

It has been awhile, but I got some that were applied with a hammer. They
also had some kind of driver for them that was much neater. But this ain't
art.
You pound them in and it holds the joint together. I saw them a month or so
ago. I can't remember where I got them. If you just need them for a simple
job, no need to buy a special tool. I assume you have a hammer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

Anybody have any experience with these?

A little.
I've got a couple projects coming up where these are probably the
right tool for the job...

I doubt that.
NOT fine furniture! LOL

Or much of anything else IMHO.

Don't expect them to carry much of a load.

I'd go back to the thinking chair and start over.
would be overkill... most of it's pretty rough work.

Definitely not a rough work device.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 29, 1:02*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:
Anybody have any experience with these?

A little.
---------------------------------------- I've got a couple projects coming up where these are probably the
right tool for the job...

I doubt that.
---------------------------------------- NOT fine furniture! LOL

Or much of anything else IMHO.

Don't expect them to carry much of a load.

I'd go back to the thinking chair and start over.
---------------------------------------- would be overkill... most of it's pretty rough work.

Definitely not a rough work device.

Lew

NOT a rough working device, Lew? I take that as a typo?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've got a Senco corrugated fastener gun. For some jobs it works
fine, others not at all. Generally good for things like softwood
frames that need to be held together temporarily until they get
laminated or further attached to something. The fasteners aren't
structural themselves - you can bend them with your fingers. But if
you use glue they pull the joint closed reasonably well and hold it
until dry. What is your actual application?
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

"JayPique" wrote in message
I've got a Senco corrugated fastener gun. For some jobs it works
fine, others not at all. Generally good for things like softwood
frames that need to be held together temporarily until they get
laminated or further attached to something. The fasteners aren't
structural themselves - you can bend them with your fingers. But if
you use glue they pull the joint closed reasonably well and hold it
until dry. What is your actual application?
JP

You've pretty much nailed what I need it for... hold pine frames together
that will be laminated with hardboard or 3/8" ply, i.e, torsion boxes.

I've been thinking about another project where I could use it with oak
veneered mdf. It's a wall paneling/wainscot project (a room full). I've got
a huge pile of oak veneer--old thick stuff--and by using a vacuum press I
would make up rails and stiles and panels. This makes me think hooking the
rails and styles together is doable:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1rrX1EfVqY It's non-structural... the
panels will sit in a rabet.

There are some other things along the lines of the first on the horizon
coming along too...

I am mostly known for doing all kinds of handcut dovetails in my woodworking
club. This this may seem like an odd addition to my arsenal of tools but it
seems to be the right tool...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 29, 11:45*am, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

[...]

That'd be a perfect application for that fastener.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

NOT a rough working device, Lew? I take that as a typo?

-----------------------
Yep.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

You've pretty much nailed what I need it for... hold pine frames
together that will be laminated with hardboard or 3/8" ply, i.e,
torsion boxes.

--------------------------------
If this were metal, it would be akin to tack welding.

Since it is only temporary, should work.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JayPique" wrote in message
[...]

I've used 1/2" staples for holding the interior pieces when building torsion boxes
and they've worked satisfactorily for me. YMMV.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JayPique" wrote in message

You've pretty much nailed what I need it for... hold pine frames
together that will be laminated with hardboard or 3/8" ply, i.e, torsion
boxes.

I've used 1/2" staples for holding the interior pieces when building
torsion boxes
and they've worked satisfactorily for me. YMMV.

I do the same thing for the interior pieces... that works out just fine for
me too.

John