Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping - Basilisk - Alabama Tornados

Hey, Basilisk, how you making out with those recent tornados. Hope
all is well with you and relatives/friends. You were 15 miles from
the previous bad ones and the recent ones went through the same area.
Give us an update. Hope all is well!

BTW, congrats to the Tide.

Sonny ~~~ an LSU alum/fan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:11:27 -0800 (PST), Sonny wrote:

Hey, Basilisk, how you making out with those recent tornados. Hope
all is well with you and relatives/friends. You were 15 miles from
the previous bad ones and the recent ones went through the same area.
Give us an update. Hope all is well!

BTW, congrats to the Tide.

Sonny ~~~ an LSU alum/fan

I'm still lurking about.

Actiually the closet tornado to me in April, '11 was about 2 miles from
me, the monster that hit Tuscaloosa was about 15 miles.

Fortunately, the closeest storms to me this time were about 40 miles away.
One thing I noticed was that Diane Sawyer had reported that Alabamians
were caught unaware by the recent storms, this simply isn't true, the
affected communities had at least a 30 minute advance noticed to take
cover. They may have chose to ignore the warnings, but that is another
issue.

I posted here in November about my wife passing away, my Dad paased away
on new years day.
My Dad was a machinist and worked in that capacity for the 53 years prior
to October of last year.
He was a good man and taught me much about life, work, and how to succeed
in life, I wasn't through learning from him.

The last four months have been tough, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

basilisk wrote in
:

[...]

So sorry about your losses. I know how it feels. It has been almost 9
1/2 years since my Dad died, but it is still fresh. Acceptance sometimes
comes slowly.

Now friends and family by marriage seems to be suddenly hit by a wave of
bad illnesses that don't make one happy. I guess that's because of the
age I am getting too. For the moment, though, I am enjoying retirement,
spouse and (grand)children ... One has to pay attention to the delights
in life, and to the memories ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 25, 7:50*am, basilisk wrote:
[...]

It warms me to hear you talk about your dad like that. I have some
clue what you are going through but each situation is different. Stay
strong and keep the good memories alive. I especially love that line:
"I wasn't through learning from him." After that sank in, I'll need
the rest of the morning to regroup.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2012 6:50 AM, basilisk wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear of your losses but take heart in knowing that it is all
natural and supposed to happen this way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2012 8:13 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 25, 7:50 am, wrote:

I posted here in November about my wife passing away, my Dad paased away
on new years day.
My Dad was a machinist and worked in that capacity for the 53 years prior
to October of last year.
He was a good man and taught me much about life, work, and how to succeed
in life, I wasn't through learning from him.

The last four months have been tough, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Basilisk

It warms me to hear you talk about your dad like that. I have some
clue what you are going through but each situation is different. Stay
strong and keep the good memories alive. I especially love that line:
"I wasn't through learning from him." After that sank in, I'll need
the rest of the morning to regroup.

What he said, two times!!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

I posted here in November about my wife passing away, my Dad paased away
on new years day.
My Dad was a machinist and worked in that capacity for the 53 years prior
to October of last year.
He was a good man and taught me much about life, work, and how to succeed
in life, I wasn't through learning from him.

The last four months have been tough, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Basilisk

Yeah, I had recalled your saying that. That's one reason I posted
this thread, with that in mind, too.
All you folks have been through enough, already, in more way than one.

We lost our Dad when I was nine. I vaguely remember him. His Army
picture commands a wall in my shop.
I sometimes think he would be proud of how we all turned out. Mom is
still with us.

I enjoy hearing you all speak of your Dads, that way. I can sense
that good feeling.

Take care.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 06:13:22 -0800 (PST), Robatoy wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I miss him a lot, it is hard to believe he's not around to talk to
anymore.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 08:24:24 -0600, Leon wrote:

[...]

thanks

Yes, whether we like it or not things happen exactly as they should be.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:03:22 -0800 (PST), Sonny wrote:

[...]

My family has lost 7 in the last 2 years, too many, too quick
seems like.

One good thing though, Mom is healthy and able to look after
herself and her affairs.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

basilisk wrote in
:

[...]

I hope Mom isn't totally lonely. It's been my experience that the first
month or 2 is bearable, in part it is because of paperwork and oher
adjustments. After about 2 months is the worst part of the "new" life.
Then it can take a few months, or years. I hope you can visit easily and
frequently.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:

My family has lost 7 in the last 2 years, too many, too quick
seems like.

Oh man - that's too much! Even if they are somewhat "distant", that's still
a big load to deal with.

One good thing though, Mom is healthy and able to look after
herself and her affairs.

Good for that. My mother is living in ever increasing Dementia. Very
painful to watch that happen to a person. Especially one close to you.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk was heard to mutter:

Hey, Basilisk, how you making out with those recent tornados. Hope
all is well with you and relatives/friends. You were 15 miles from
the previous bad ones and the recent ones went through the same area.
Give us an update. Hope all is well! Sonny

We've had a few tornadoes here in SW Ohio the last few years. They
scare the crap out of me. A guy I worked with came in one morning
oblivious to the L3 that ripped through the towns during the night. It
missed his house by feet, but not His neighbor's house. Scarey part is
neither he or his family heard a thing during the night.

Actiually the closet tornado to me in April, '11 was about 2 miles from
me, the monster that hit Tuscaloosa was about 15 miles.

Fortunately, the closeest storms to me this time were about 40 miles away.
One thing I noticed was that Diane Sawyer had reported that Alabamians
were caught unaware by the recent storms, this simply isn't true, the
affected communities had at least a 30 minute advance noticed to take
cover. They may have chose to ignore the warnings, but that is another
issue.

Glad to hear you are alright. We don't have enough warnings here, but
I lived here for almost ten years before we got our first one.

I posted here in November about my wife passing away, my Dad paased away
on new years day.

My sympathies to you. I lost my father on christmas eve in 93. This
past christmas I lost a brother-in-law and my best friend lost his
mother. Holidays are brutal.

My Dad was a machinist and worked in that capacity for the 53 years prior
to October of last year.
He was a good man and taught me much about life, work, and how to succeed
in life, I wasn't through learning from him.

I hear you. Mine was 74 and missed my wedding. He taught me so much
that not a day goes by that I don't do something and wonder what his
thoughts on it would be.

The last four months have been tough, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Basilisk

Hang in there. Keep thinking about the good times. Helps me.

Was hoping the children and grandchildren wouldn't have to lose both
their grandfather and father in December. Gonna be a rough month for
them them rest of their lives.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:26:58 -0500, Casper wrote:

basilisk was heard to mutter:

Hey, Basilisk, how you making out with those recent tornados. Hope
all is well with you and relatives/friends. You were 15 miles from
the previous bad ones and the recent ones went through the same area.
Give us an update. Hope all is well! Sonny

We've had a few tornadoes here in SW Ohio the last few years. They
scare the crap out of me. A guy I worked with came in one morning
oblivious to the L3 that ripped through the towns during the night. It
missed his house by feet, but not His neighbor's house. Scarey part is
neither he or his family heard a thing during the night.

A couple of weeks ago I was driving home from work (actually parked in
traffic) when the sirens went off in Peachtree City, GA. There was simply
nowhere to go and no one seemed concerned. The night of the Tuscaloosa G5,
another one tore up a bunch of houses and killed one at Lake Martin, AL, about
15 miles from my house. That was a rather scary night. The amazing thing is
that the sirens didn't go off at all in 2010 but we spent many hours in the
center hall with the cats in 2011.

[...]

Mine too. Tough thing but it is part of life. My father died in '65 and my
mother in '08. At least she had a long life (95). My dad died when he was
52. Both of the in laws are gone, too. My wife is an only child so there is
no one left on her side of the family.

LEAF BLOWERS - The cause of Tornados and Hurricanes [email protected] Home Repair 3 September 10th 11 07:03 AM
OT only in Alabama basilisk Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 May 23rd 11 06:00 PM
Ping: Basilisk Sonny Woodworking 1 June 11th 10 02:05 PM
US homes vulnerable to Tornados ( wooden), why not use concrete? Joseph Home Ownership 25 July 30th 04 09:18 PM