Posted to rec.woodworking

Default propane use

I have a 1500 sq ft cottage. Just built 3 years ago. aveage temp outside
39 degrees . Temp in house
set at 52. No one lives there, only go to check it out once a week to make
sure all ok. We just bought
last may. are propane usage was 137 gallons. Is that alot??

-------------------------------------
°)))

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/21/2012 10:22 AM, cottage wrote:
I have a 1500 sq ft cottage. Just built 3 years ago. aveage temp outside
39 degrees . Temp in house
set at 52. No one lives there, only go to check it out once a week to make
sure all ok. We just bought
last may. are propane usage was 137 gallons. Is that alot??

-------------------------------------
°)))

not a lot. not as much as if it had been 450 gallons.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

Why not winterize it. Shut the water main, or pump, open the lines and
drain them out as best as possible.
empty the toilet tanks and put some RV winterizing fluid in the toilet
bowl to keep smells out and fluid from freezing.

Turn the heat off.. Save yourself some money and gas.

On 1/21/2012 11:22 AM, cottage wrote:
I have a 1500 sq ft cottage. Just built 3 years ago. aveage temp outside
39 degrees . Temp in house
set at 52. No one lives there, only go to check it out once a week to make
sure all ok. We just bought
last may. are propane usage was 137 gallons. Is that alot??

-------------------------------------
°)))

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:
Why not winterize it. Shut the water main, or pump, open the lines and
drain them out as best as possible.
empty the toilet tanks and put some RV winterizing fluid in the toilet
bowl to keep smells out and fluid from freezing.

Turn the heat off.. Save yourself some money and gas.

On 1/21/2012 11:22 AM, cottage wrote:
I have a 1500 sq ft cottage. Just built 3 years ago. aveage temp outside
39 degrees . Temp in house
set at 52. No one lives there, only go to check it out once a week to make
sure all ok. We just bought
last may. are propane usage was 137 gallons. Is that alot??

-------------------------------------
°)))

Wouldn't hurt to add a dollop of antifreeze in the sink, shower or tub
drains. Might save a cracked trap.

--
Gerald Ross

I yam wot I yam, and that's all that I
yam - Popeye

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 21, 8:22*am, cottage
wrote:
I have a 1500 sq ft cottage. Just built 3 years ago. aveage temp outside
39 degrees . Temp in house
set at 52. No one lives there, only go to check it out once a week to make
sure all ok. We just bought
last may. are propane usage was 137 gallons. Is that alot??

-------------------------------------
°)))

137 gallons of propane represents about 12,500,000 btus.

A couple questions & comments.....

How cold does it get at night? 39 deg average isn't all that cold
How many "days" are we talking about?
Water heat heater turned down to vacation or pilot?

Single story?

How good is the insulation?
Crawlspace? Insulated crawlspace?
What's your propane usage when the place is occupied?

Solar exposure?

Turn the heat down to 50?

Energy usage depends on temperature difference between inside &
outside,
you could go lower but then you'd have higher risk of freezing
something.

If we figure all of Nov, Dec & Jan,
sounds like about 1.5 gallons per day.

My gut feeling is the usage is higher than I'd expect.

cheers
Bob

Propane, and Propane Accessories! :-) alexander.keys1[_3_] UK diy 0 July 14th 10 10:15 PM
Propane vs. Nat. Gas SteveB Home Repair 51 February 16th 08 04:56 PM
Nat gas to Propane Dean Home Repair 2 February 5th 07 02:41 AM
Propane vs. LPG Andy Dingley UK diy 18 November 26th 05 09:32 PM
How much propane do you use? dean Home Repair 13 September 26th 05 12:28 PM