Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - But you folks are so helpful ...Gluing plastic

I bought a digital camera for my daughter a few years ago. It's a Canon
point & shoot, but with a better than usual set of settable parameters:
Shutter and Aperture priority, etc. It still works fine, and she hasn't
really abused it, but 2 of the 3 the battery door clips - tiny little
flimsy tabs - have broken off. The door just barely holds closed, and
the next stiff breeze may break the last tab off as well.

She's had a lot of fun with it, and has learned a little about what the
various setting do. I figured I'd just get her a new one. Turns out that
Canon's successors to this model are actually less capable, missing all
of the semi-manual settings. That same model can still be found here and
there, at three or four times the original price.

The battery door is available on line, but the broken parts are on the
camera body proper. For now I'd like to glue a couple of small pieces of
Velcro, the kind that are sold as cable wraps, to the shiny plastic body
of the camera; a long piece to wrap around the door and a short "anchor"
piece for it to mate with around the other side.

The spring tension of the battery terminals is significant, so it would
have to be a pretty strong bond. Any ideas?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2012 8:18 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Have you contacted Canon? there "might" a recall fix.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote in
:

[...]

Duct tape is the usual solution...

One idea I had is to glue a tube on the camera body near the battery
door. A bent piece of (stiff) wire would pass through the tube and be
free to rotate and allow the door to open when it comes time to change
the batteries.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote the following:
[...]

A picture would be better. There are probably a half million Canon Point
and Shoot camera models. Maybe a model number for those of us that do
not have that camera can google to get an idea of what it looks like.
Just googling 'canon point and shoot battery door' brings up a lot of
complaints about the door.
This site may help:
http://photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/00W2bd
Scroll down to member vo van for some pics of his battery door problem.
His links have to be cut and pasted.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2012 9:40 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Greg wrote in
:

For now I'd like to glue a couple of small pieces
of Velcro, the kind that are sold as cable wraps, to the shiny plastic
body of the camera; a long piece to wrap around the door and a short
"anchor" piece for it to mate with around the other side.

The spring tension of the battery terminals is significant, so it
would have to be a pretty strong bond. Any ideas?

Duct tape is the usual solution...

One idea I had is to glue a tube on the camera body near the battery
door. A bent piece of (stiff) wire

Like a small allen wrench.

would pass through the tube and be
free to rotate and allow the door to open when it comes time to change
the batteries.

That's not such an outlandish idea, but what kind of glue do you think
would work?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Household Goop. See this helpful glueing advice:

http://www.thistothat.com/

--
Gerald Ross

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote in
:

[...]

It all depends on your materials... If you've got the right plastics,
something like Tenax 7R would work well. If you've got plastic and
metal, you'll need an epoxy or screws.

Regular CA glue would work for the short term, at least for prototyping.
It'll hold different materials together, but it just won't do it very
well...

Screws are available all the way down to 1/8", especially in sizes from
2-56 to 0-80. They might be a bit of a specialty item for a regular
hardware store, so look on Amazon or at a hobby shop. (You'll also need
a drill and tap set.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

I have had some success replicating small parts with the stick epoxy.
Mix equal amounts of the two sticks and stick a small glob where the
part attaches. Allow to harden a day or two then file it to shape.

--
Gerald Ross

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/12 2:27 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/12/2012 7:31 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

but if we're going to all this trouble over a camera that could be
improved by buying a new hundred dollar camera, why not just stick a 3"
clamp on the dam thing and have it over with?

or without know exactly what the camera looks like, an elastic band.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2012 12:36 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
[...]

That was my first thought; I paid maybe $130 a few years ago. But the
Canon people must have decided they put too many nice features into it.
The newer models aren't as capable and the leftovers of this model are
advertised for $400. More research may yet yield another option.

or without know exactly what the camera looks like, an elastic band.

My first thought, but it would obscure the controls. Duct tape would
work, but the batteries need frequent replacement, at least when we're
on vacation. We're going up to the Great White North ("Grand Blanc Nord"
might be more accurate in this case)in a few weeks; sometimes even good
batteries need to be swapped out with warm ones.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

jb weld and not the "quick"

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Double stick foam tape.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

What with the advances in electronics, I suspect a newer camera can do a
better job automagically than your daughter could with almost any
combination of manual settings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would have to second that opinion! If you are relying on disposable
batteries your camera is obsolete, on most fronts.

Get a new one, much smaller, more optical zoom, bigger view screen,
faster writing to memory (reshoot time)and charges from any USB
connector, available everywhere.

If she understands camera exposure stuff we will soon figure out how to
bypass the auto settings without hardly ever touching any settings. The
new micro units with CMOS sensors usually run circles around anything
four years old.

Yeah I have a camera I use and four other units that people have given
me for token gifts, they are so cheap, now.

------------------
"Steve Barker" wrote in message

i'd sure like to know what features your daughter is using that a new
camera does not have. Even the most basic p&s models have manual
settings. suit yourself. fight the one you have, or buy a 21st
century
model and go on with life.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had an older HP digital camera with a similar problem. I just wrapped a
large rubber band around the camera and over the battery door. The challenge
is placing the rubber band so it does not interfere with any of the
controls or optics, so it may not be feasible for your camera.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

Find us a 100 buck point and shoot with manual aperture and shutter
speed that isn't an absolute piece of crap. I found 2, a Kodak with a
fixed lens and a Fuji that has a vast number of really bad user reviews.
The next one up is an Olympus for over 300 bucks.

The simple fact is that entry-level point-and-shoots are just that, they
are auto-everything and give the operator very little control.

Is the battery compartment on the bottom? Is there a tripod mount? If
so, a 1/4 inch bolt and a piece of bar stock should solve the problem
nicely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

I dare you to say that on any photography forum.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

What with the advances in electronics, I suspect a newer camera can
do a better job automagically than your daughter could with almost any
combination of manual settings.

That all depends on the skill and the artistic eye of the photographer. For
just a straight shot - sure, but in the hands of a good shooter, manual
setting allow for a world of expression that the auto stuff just does not
do.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2012 2:36 PM, HeyBub wrote:

What with the advances in electronics, I suspect a newer camera can do a
better job automagically than your daughter could with almost any
combination of manual settings.

No Way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2012 8:16 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In articleE5idnZQfNsEqxZLSnZ2dnUVZ_q6dnZ2d@giganews. com,
says...

[...]

I have done a little more looking, and there are a few cameras at price
points that I might consider appropriate for a teenager that have the
settings I'm looking for, but it's not at all common.

Find us a 100 buck point and shoot with manual aperture and shutter
speed that isn't an absolute piece of crap. I found 2, a Kodak with a
fixed lens and a Fuji that has a vast number of really bad user reviews.
The next one up is an Olympus for over 300 bucks.

One of the ones I saw was a Fuji, I forget the model at the moment. I'll
have to look into it more closely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2012 8:18 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In articlerbydncgILJGi2ZLSnZ2dnUVZ_rednZ2d@earthlink .com,
says...

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

I'm imagining the analogous argument here about planes, or shellac...

"You rub the blade on what? A STONE? SEVERAL stones? And then with
leather?" "You mix up bug barf in alcohol?" "HD sells wood that is
plenty straight already and little yellow cans of modern chemistry to
cover them with".

I'm no pro at photography either but I'm not bad at it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...22868776/show/

I find quite a lot of use for those manual tweaks, and there's no small
satisfaction to be had from a more hands-on approach. I like that my
daughter has started to learn a bit of that too.