Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shellac.net

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 00:07:39 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 9, 5:10*pm, Nova wrote:

IIRC, Ron Hock, when he first started selling shellac was getting the
product from Patrick Olguin, AKA "O'Deen". *O'Deen who was once a
regular on this news group started shellac.net after he acquired a
supplier in India. *O'Deen later sold shellac.net to I believe Liberon
Wood Finishing Supplies. *I think Liberon has since been sold to
someone else.

Has anybody heard from O'Deen lately?

IIRC Jack, you are correct about Hock and the sale of his company to
Liberon. I remember that he said on another finishing forum that he
wanted to spend more time with his wife and grandkids. He was moving,
and didn't want to move the business with him and re-establish it with
new post office boxes, shipping materials, etc. I think too, he was
tired of telling lazy folks over and over and over and over how to use
shellac.

He was friends with another great guy, Russ Ramirez. I spoke with
Russ several times when he had his site up and was selling shellac,
restorative and traditional finishes. Russ was one of the nicest and
knowledgeable fellows you could ever talk to, and I gladly called him
on my nickel to discuss finishing techniques. Russ was beat down by
Google educated geniuses that didn't that didn't know rottenstone from
rotten eggs. He got tired of fighting all the misinformation and
eventually personal attacks. He sold his site and business as well,
and the last time we spoke he told me that he thought Olguin had the
right idea.

I miss Russ and his Online Finishing business. I purchased shellac,
Waterlox, and other goodies from him after O'Deen stopped selling
shellac (and the new owners doubled the shellac prices.) I was really
sorry to see his biz close.

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 07:21:56 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

Russ was beat down by Google
educated geniuses that didn't that didn't know rottenstone from rotten
eggs.

It's not just on-line "experts" - as I posted earlier, I couldn't believe
the disagreements among my 3 books on veneering.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:21:04 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 07:21:56 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

Russ was beat down by Google
educated geniuses that didn't that didn't know rottenstone from rotten
eggs.

That's a misattributation, suh. I didn't say that and didn't see who
did.

It's not just on-line "experts" - as I posted earlier, I couldn't believe
the disagreements among my 3 books on veneering.

Check out the vast differences of opinion on finishing between
Dresdner, Flexner , and Jewitt (my fave, though it appears that his
wife may have steered him to the Dark side of the Force.)

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Jan 9, 5:10 pm, wrote:

IIRC, Ron Hock, when he first started selling shellac was getting the
product from Patrick Olguin, AKA "O'Deen". O'Deen who was once a
regular on this news group started shellac.net after he acquired a
supplier in India. O'Deen later sold shellac.net to I believe Liberon
Wood Finishing Supplies. I think Liberon has since been sold to
someone else.

Has anybody heard from O'Deen lately?

IIRC Jack, you are correct about Hock and the sale of his company to
Liberon. I remember that he said on another finishing forum that he
wanted to spend more time with his wife and grandkids. He was moving,
and didn't want to move the business with him and re-establish it with
new post office boxes, shipping materials, etc. I think too, he was
tired of telling lazy folks over and over and over and over how to use
shellac.

I seriously doubt he got tired of telling lazy people over and over how
to use the product. Any one in business knows that educating your
potential customer and repeat customers is part of the process, like
taking their money. If you are not constantly promoting your product
and educating your customers you will loose business.

More likely as you indicated, he wanted to spend more time with his wife
and grandkids.

Ink under Shellac Puckdropper[_2_] Woodworking 22 May 1st 11 12:10 AM
Shellac Puckdropper[_2_] Woodworking 33 April 28th 11 02:49 PM
Should I use Shellac? eclipsme Woodworking 17 July 23rd 06 09:21 PM
Shellac for Mac George Woodturning 1 January 22nd 06 04:40 PM
Shellac Dr. Deb Woodworking 12 December 28th 05 04:26 AM