John Moorhead

Default Shop made veneer

Folks -

Well, I've only made bits and pcs of "shop" veneer before, but needed a
fair amount to cover the plainsawn sides of quartersawn white oak legs, 24
pcs total.

I have a *gasp* Harbor Freight 1 1/2 hp 14 bandsaw w/riser. I was using a
twolf 3/4" blade and tho' the cutting was slow, I was pleasantly surprised
at how evenly the saw cut. I was getting a fair amount of vibration, but
didn't suffer any blowout - and cut the pcs just shy of 1/16"... Ran them
all through the drum sander and they cleaned up purdy quick. I will post
pics of the progress later in ABPW. I can see that a saw with more power
would be...good...

As a lark, I was able to sand some of the surplus veneer down to .013 +/-
..003 on the drum sander. How they produce commercial veneer for hardwood
plywood that is *SO* thin seems like a black art to me. It must take a hell
of a lot of power, cast iron and way scary sharp blades...

John

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:32:00 GMT, "John Moorhead"
wrote:

[...]

those plies aren't sawn- they're sliced.
LP

wrote:

[...]

As Bridger mentioned, those plies are sliced. After all the plys are
glued up, the whole thing is put thru a huge sander, so getting the
veneer down to see-thru is no big trick.

Unisaw A100

As Bridger mentioned, those plies are sliced. After all the plys are
glued up, the whole thing is put thru a huge sander, so getting the
veneer down to see-thru is no big trick.

Actually, when the panel is sanded, if it's sanded, it's not
sanded much. The ply starts life pretty thin. Back in "the
day" we used to get veneer as thick as 1/28". Today, OK the
last time I paid attention, it was down to 1/40". The thing
being, the more leaves you can slice from a log the more
cash at the end.

As for slicing, here's an animated demonstration.

http://www.wood-veneers.com/slicing.htm

UA100
Greg G.

Unisaw A100 said:

As Bridger mentioned, those plies are sliced. After all the plys are
glued up, the whole thing is put thru a huge sander, so getting the
veneer down to see-thru is no big trick.

Actually, when the panel is sanded, if it's sanded, it's not
sanded much. The ply starts life pretty thin. Back in "the
day" we used to get veneer as thick as 1/28". Today, OK the
last time I paid attention, it was down to 1/40". The thing
being, the more leaves you can slice from a log the more
cash at the end.

As for slicing, here's an animated demonstration.

http://www.wood-veneers.com/slicing.htm

UA100

Before it is sanded, IF it is sanded, it is passed through a HUGE
roller press. The last few sheets of BC ply I bought (GP - made in
Athens, GA) had large bolts pressed into the plys. Didn't notice till
I got them home and noticed the big "T" sticking up from the surface.

How would you like to run your WW II into one of those?

Crap Wood = Iraq Rebuilding - According to the vendor...
We get the crap - they get the good stuff. Thanks! :-p

Greg G.

Slowhand

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
om...
Folks -

Well, I've only made bits and pcs of "shop" veneer before, but needed a
fair amount to cover the plainsawn sides of quartersawn white oak legs, 24
pcs total.

I have a *gasp* Harbor Freight 1 1/2 hp 14 bandsaw w/riser. I was using a
twolf 3/4" blade and tho' the cutting was slow, I was pleasantly surprised
at how evenly the saw cut. I was getting a fair amount of vibration, but
didn't suffer any blowout - and cut the pcs just shy of 1/16"...

I saw my own veneer on some projects and am completely and utterly happy
getting them down to 1/16". My drum sander won't take them any thinnner
than that anyway. If I need thinner, I just buy it.
SH