John Moorhead

Default Shop made veneer

Folks -

Well, I've only made bits and pcs of "shop" veneer before, but needed a
fair amount to cover the plainsawn sides of quartersawn white oak legs, 24
pcs total.

I have a *gasp* Harbor Freight 1 1/2 hp 14 bandsaw w/riser. I was using a
twolf 3/4" blade and tho' the cutting was slow, I was pleasantly surprised
at how evenly the saw cut. I was getting a fair amount of vibration, but
didn't suffer any blowout - and cut the pcs just shy of 1/16"... Ran them
all through the drum sander and they cleaned up purdy quick. I will post
pics of the progress later in ABPW. I can see that a saw with more power
would be...good...

As a lark, I was able to sand some of the surplus veneer down to .013 +/-
..003 on the drum sander. How they produce commercial veneer for hardwood
plywood that is *SO* thin seems like a black art to me. It must take a hell
of a lot of power, cast iron and way scary sharp blades...

John