Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My new router plane.

I have wanted a router plane for a while now. I decided on the Veritas
over Lie Nielsen, and am I impressed. I bought the fence and all the
blades with it. I stayed with SAE, I like to work in metric, but I felt
more comfortable with the SAE irons.

This is an extremely well made router plane. I can see doing cleanup
work with it and quick hinge mortises. I now want the small router plane
, I think this thing rocks. I can rough out with chisels and finish
with the router faster than setting up my powered router for small one
or 2 off items.

The spear shaped tool that comes with the tool is fantastic for
grooving. Finish it off with the straight iron... It just makes pushing
the router through so much easier.

Having been buying both Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley Veritas, I think both
are great, but I have to give the edge lately to Veritas. Their
engineering shows a lot of thought into what the negative features are,
and they do a lot to correct, or make it more usable. Both are quality
companies, with quality products.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

Thanks for posting your review. I already have one on my "want list",
but I don't mind the encouragement! So far, I haven't been fussy about
the particular one I haven't bought yet--but I'd take vintage or any
other. I don't recall the prices, but vintage might even be gotten for less.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2012 9:20 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

Router planes are supremely cool and incredibly useful. I have a vintage
Stanley No. 71 and it works great, and while I've drooled over the Veritas
version many times (and someday when I have an extra $150 to throw around I
WILL have one!), I would not "while away" precious time ignoring the vintage
Stanley models (which can be had on eBay for $25 or less) while waiting for the
"right time" to drop the big bucks on the Veritas. I would suggest that a
simple router plane is an indispensable tool for any woodworker, and even the
simplest and crudest of the old Stanleys will serve you well. It's hard to
picture how useful these little babies can be until you have one on hand and
you realize what it can do. And like that single bandsaw that almost never has
the blade mounted that you really need, it doesn't hurt to have more than one
on hand, so by all means pick up an old Stanley (or two) to complement that
state of the art Veritas.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 11:15*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:
[...]

My 271 is great for touching up dado bottoms +/- a few
thou, but a bit small to really get a grip on for heavier
work. A 71 isn't cheap, but a shopmade approximation
doesn't look too hard to make from a block of scrap and
an Allen wrench or offset screwdriver:

http://www.bob-easton.com/blog/?p=866