Posted to rec.woodworking

Default how to tone down warm tones in teak, and a repair question

Hi...I have two teak pieces I had made in Indonesia. I oiled both and
am now very sorry I did. I'm thinking about acetone to remove as much
as possible of the oil surface (its been on there about two years). I
cant haul out these immense pieces so that they can benefit from the
effects of sunlight...what can I do indoors to really cool down the
color of the teak, either toward a very cool dark brown, or a grey?
Also, there are gaps in between boards; I dont know if they were
figuring on seasonal expansion/contraction - is there anything at all
I can do? Thanks! Maria
Posted to rec.woodworking

holdenmt wrote:
Hi...I have two teak pieces I had made in Indonesia. I oiled both and
am now very sorry I did. I'm thinking about acetone to remove as much
as possible of the oil surface (its been on there about two years). I
cant haul out these immense pieces so that they can benefit from the
effects of sunlight...what can I do indoors to really cool down the
color of the teak, either toward a very cool dark brown, or a grey?
Also, there are gaps in between boards; I dont know if they were
figuring on seasonal expansion/contraction - is there anything at all
I can do? Thanks! Maria

Teak doesn't age to cool dark brown. If the oil was linseed oil, it
oxidizes to a dark warm brown. How dark depends upon how much oil was
absorbed and/or trapped in the wood grain. It is unlikely there is enough
oil to do that though. The usual color of oiled teak is a warm medium
brown.

If teak is topcoated it is normally a warm medium brown becoming lighter and
yellower with age and sunlight.

Unprotected teak outdoors weathers to grey - like most any wood - and
becomes rough which is why it is popular for boat decks.

The only effective way to get rid of the oil that I know of is sanding. No
idea if the gaps are normal, don't know what your pieces are.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"holdenmt" wrote in message
Hi...I have two teak pieces I had made in Indonesia. I oiled both and
am now very sorry I did. I'm thinking about acetone to remove as much
as possible of the oil surface (its been on there about two years). I
cant haul out these immense pieces so that they can benefit from the
effects of sunlight...what can I do indoors to really cool down the
color of the teak, either toward a very cool dark brown, or a grey?
Also, there are gaps in between boards; I dont know if they were
figuring on seasonal expansion/contraction - is there anything at all
I can do? Thanks! Maria

I recently made a piece of teak furniture. To get my glue to stick, I used
acetone to remove the oil before gluing. I do not know if that will do a
permanent job or just a temporary job but you might try doing it on a piece
that won't be too visible.