Yves

Default MDF Panel door

Hi,

I'm planning to create MDF panel doors for my kitchen cabinets.

But I would like them to have a "raised panel" look, only I can't figure out
how to make the jig for my router, for doors that are not allways the same
size.

Can someone here give me a hint.

Thanks.

Pounds on Wood

Why not build real raised panel doors in MDF? I did this for my shop and
they look better than what is currently in my own kitchen. You can take a
look at the link below, and follow a link on the first page to "NEW SHOP".
I consider making the routed fake panel doors, but decided by the time I
built a jig I could build the real thing.

Regarding finish, I just primed them and painted them with gloss latex,
using brush and roller. NOT what I would do in a kitchen however, so I
offer no advice on that.

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop

"Yves" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm planning to create MDF panel doors for my kitchen cabinets.

But I would like them to have a "raised panel" look, only I can't figure

out
how to make the jig for my router, for doors that are not allways the same
size.

Can someone here give me a hint.

Thanks.

JGS

Hi Yves,
Several years ago ( my first big project ) I made a set for a friend and they
still look good. I used an edge guide and three different bits. One of the bits
was a 45* , another was an eighth or quarter inch plunge straight bit and the
third was a ........ . , I forget, maybe a 60* bit.
As I did not have a plunge router at the time, the only trick was to start the
groove while holding the router steady.
I did not have a spray set up at the time so I made a dip tray and diluted the
paint and hung them to dry like clothes on a line. One coat of primer and two of
paint plus some practice and they looked as good as store bought. Good luck, JG

Yves wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning to create MDF panel doors for my kitchen cabinets.

But I would like them to have a "raised panel" look, only I can't figure out
how to make the jig for my router, for doors that are not allways the same
size.

Can someone here give me a hint.

Thanks.

Pat Barber

The table saw will "raise" panels quite well with
a simple "saddle jig" that rides on your saw fence...

Here is how to do it on a router table:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/woodtips/wstip13.html

and on a table saw:

http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...onth/main.html

I can't find a picture of a saddle jig to save my ass....

Yves wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning to create MDF panel doors for my kitchen cabinets.

But I would like them to have a "raised panel" look, only I can't figure out
how to make the jig for my router, for doors that are not allways the same
size.

Can someone here give me a hint.

Thanks.

Pat Barber

Here is the "other" solution to raised panels:

On a table saw...

http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...ategoryId=7003

Yves wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning to create MDF panel doors for my kitchen cabinets.

But I would like them to have a "raised panel" look, only I can't figure out
how to make the jig for my router, for doors that are not allways the same
size.

Can someone here give me a hint.

Thanks.

WoodChuck34

Yves

Your going to have to be very precise every time you change a bit to
make the cuts line up right.

If its for you kitchen, you may want to consider a raised panel bit.
I just finished 16 raised panels for some basement cabinets using MDF
and they came out great.

I read in FWW that you should smear some drywall compound on all
exposed/cut edges before you paint to get a nice smooth finish.
Haven't done that yet, SWMBO is the painter in our family, but I'll
post how it turns out.

Chuck