Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Circle Support

I'm trying to support a couple loops of track with a circle under the
track. These loops are used temporarily for testing, and stored up against
the wall. The circles would be approximately 18" radius but open in the
center to save on materials and weight. To do this, I plan on cutting
straight segments with the appropriate angle to approximate the circle.

However, it seems that all the joints on these segments would lead to a
rather flexible circle, so I'm looking at my options to stiffen the circle.
The two I've come up with thus far are cutting twice or three times the
segments required and overlapping the joints (basically building my own
plywood) or using some kind of bolt and nut system to keep the joints
together.

Are there better options?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

knuttle wrote:
[...]

If your circles don't have to be the same radius, you could cut several
from a half a sheet of plywood, each with a 3 inch, or so, width for the
track (think of the circles as nested within each other). I started off
thinking of framing, but maybe what I've described may lie more-level
than some of your other options. Hope my comment might be of use.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/1/2012 6:57 AM, knuttle wrote:
On 1/1/2012 1:41 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm trying to support a couple loops of track with a circle under the
track. These loops are used temporarily for testing, and stored up
against
the wall. The circles would be approximately 18" radius but open in the
center to save on materials and weight. To do this, I plan on cutting
straight segments with the appropriate angle to approximate the circle.

However, it seems that all the joints on these segments would lead to a
rather flexible circle, so I'm looking at my options to stiffen the
circle.

[snip]
Are there better options?

Puckdropper

Biscuits!

Puckdropper ook the words right out of my mouth. An 36" diameter circle
properly glued up with biscuits should do the trick for your purposes.

If you find that there is still a bit too much flex (doubt it will be
the case but then we don't know what you will be doing with it during
the "temporary testing) you could fashion a cross piece (think four
spokes) by making a cross with a half-lap joint in the center and and a
half lap at each of the four ends onto which your circle would be
glued/screwed. If THAT isn't solid enough, you're using the wrong
material - get some structural steelg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 07:57:43 -0500, knuttle
Are there better options?

Biscuits!

Nah! It's the dawn of a new year. He should buy himself a Festool
Domino. Either that or borrow Leon's Domino. I'm sure he'd be willing
to ship it cross country to help out a fellow woodworker.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Unquestionably Confused wrote in
.com:

[...]

I don't have a biscuit joiner, so I'll either have to buy one or use a
different method.

I don't need a ton of strength, but do need enough rigidity to keep
things from flexing. For testing, the track is simply placed on the
floor, so there's no concern there. It's the storage that concerns me,
as track that's free to flex will loosen connections.

Puckdropper

--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/2/2012 12:11 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I don't have a biscuit joiner, so I'll either have to buy one or use a
different method.

I don't need a ton of strength, but do need enough rigidity to keep
things from flexing. For testing, the track is simply placed on the
floor, so there's no concern there. It's the storage that concerns me,
as track that's free to flex will loosen connections.

Puckdropper

Well, as Artemus suggested, perhaps pocket screws would work.

Now that I understand a bit better exactly what you're trying to do, how
about this?

No biscuit cutter but I presume you have a table saw? Cut your segments
and then center a cut on the end of each segment and run it through
(using a jig) like you were cutting tenons, only just make a pass (or
possibly two) on the center of each end. Make up some splines and glue
it all together. All you're trying to do here is get away from end
gluing so you can increase the strength of the joint. Spline joints
will do that quite well for your purpose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I mentioned biscuits, but I was not thinking biscuit cutter. With all
of the segments that you have to put together, I would use what I use
for picture frames.

I have a slot cutter for my router. With the router mounted in a table,
and fences, you can cut a dozen biscuits slots in a couple of minutes.

Set up is simple. Adjust the height of the bit, then position the
fences; one to position the slot on the piece, and the second in front
of the piece, then cut the slots first from the right side of the bit
and then from the left side of the bit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/2/2012 9:58 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I mentioned biscuits, but I was not thinking biscuit cutter. With all of
the segments that you have to put together, I would use what I use for
picture frames.

I have a slot cutter for my router. With the router mounted in a table,
and fences, you can cut a dozen biscuits slots in a couple of minutes.

Set up is simple. Adjust the height of the bit, then position the
fences; one to position the slot on the piece, and the second in front
of the piece, then cut the slots first from the right side of the bit
and then from the left side of the bit.

That was kind of my point and pretty much what we've seen as this thread
runs its course. Increase the gluing surface to stabilize that joint.

Lotsa ways to skin a cat but when you get right down to it, the cat is
dead and there are just various ways to reach that point.

Splines have been around "forever." Biscuit cutters for what? Maybe 25
years or so in general use. Craftsmen have used splines a lot longer.
Use a gun, knife, poison or your bare hands, just kill the damn cat!g

Posted to rec.woodworking

Unquestionably Confused wrote in
.com:

Well, as Artemus suggested, perhaps pocket screws would work.

Now that I understand a bit better exactly what you're trying to do,
how about this?

No biscuit cutter but I presume you have a table saw? Cut your
segments and then center a cut on the end of each segment and run it
through (using a jig) like you were cutting tenons, only just make a
pass (or possibly two) on the center of each end. Make up some
splines and glue it all together. All you're trying to do here is get
away from end gluing so you can increase the strength of the joint.
Spline joints will do that quite well for your purpose.

The splines look like they'd work nicely. They'd keep things from
moving, and wouldn't be all that difficult to make.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Puckdropper

--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

CIRCLE-CUTTING JIG J T Woodworking 0 December 5th 07 04:09 AM
cut a circle on a tablesaw? RayV Woodworking 13 August 2nd 07 11:38 PM
How do I cut a 6" circle out? Toller Woodworking 15 January 29th 07 10:44 PM
how do I cut a 6-1/4" hole (not circle) [email protected] Woodworking 16 December 10th 04 08:38 AM