Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Thin adhesive backed UHMW???

I know I've seen catalogs w/ 1/16" or so 1/2"W and variations on the
theme for such things as mounting on old drawer slides to compensate for
wear and provide a new gliding surface but now that I am really, really,
looking I can't seem to find one handy...

Anybody have a convenient source? I thought it was Klingspor or one of
them, but unless I'm not looking for right thing I've struck mostly out
except for 2-3 mil 3M tapes that aren't what was looking for...

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Woodcraft has 1/32 x 3/4 adhesive backed.

--
Gerald Ross

A few fries short of a Happy Meal.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

dpb wrote in :

I know I've seen catalogs w/ 1/16" or so 1/2"W and variations on the
theme for such things as mounting on old drawer slides to compensate for
wear and provide a new gliding surface but now that I am really, really,
looking I can't seem to find one handy...

Anybody have a convenient source? I thought it was Klingspor or one of
them, but unless I'm not looking for right thing I've struck mostly out
except for 2-3 mil 3M tapes that aren't what was looking for...

My records say I got it from Amazon, but I found it he
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-34-Width-132-
Thick.aspx $7.99 for 3/4"x1/32"x10.5'

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 17:30:06 -0500, Gerald Ross
wrote:

dpb wrote:
I know I've seen catalogs w/ 1/16" or so 1/2"W and variations on the
theme for such things as mounting on old drawer slides to compensate for
wear and provide a new gliding surface but now that I am really, really,
looking I can't seem to find one handy...

Anybody have a convenient source? I thought it was Klingspor or one of
them, but unless I'm not looking for right thing I've struck mostly out
except for 2-3 mil 3M tapes that aren't what was looking for...

--

Woodcraft has 1/32 x 3/4 adhesive backed.

Both UMHW and Teflon tapes are absolutely marvelous.

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/26/2011 4:43 PM, dpb wrote:
I know I've seen catalogs w/ 1/16" or so 1/2"W and variations on the
theme for such things as mounting on old drawer slides to compensate for
wear and provide a new gliding surface but now that I am really, really,
looking I can't seem to find one handy...

Anybody have a convenient source? I thought it was Klingspor or one of
them, but unless I'm not looking for right thing I've struck mostly out
except for 2-3 mil 3M tapes that aren't what was looking for...

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2000...ck-Strips.aspx

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 27, 7:32*am, dpb wrote:
On 12/26/2011 7:32 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

In , says...

I know I've seen catalogs w/ 1/16" or so 1/2"W and variations on the
theme for such things as mounting on old drawer slides to compensate for
wear and provide a new gliding surface but now that I am really, really,
looking I can't seem to find one handy...

Anybody have a convenient source? *I thought it was Klingspor or one of
them, but unless I'm not looking for right thing I've struck mostly out
except for 2-3 mil 3M tapes that aren't what was looking for...

http://www.cshyde.com/Tapes/Data/UHMWtapeinfo.htm * Sit down before you
look at the prices on the thick stuff though.

Not bad overall; they're 50-ft 1" min width rolls for 1/32" or 1/16"
thicknesses so are quite a lot of material for the price. *(And which is
far more than I need at the moment.)

I may just bite the bullet unless can find a retailer; Woodcraft has
3/4" W rolls but only of the 1/32" thickness; I was hoping for the 1/16".

Anyway, thanks, I'll manage something...

--

a bit better, total cost wise.... esp if you jump down to 1/2" width

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Slick_Strips
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/27/2011 10:42 AM, DD_BobK wrote:

a bit better, total cost wise.... esp if you jump down to 1/2" width

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Slick_Strips

Great! Thanks...3/4" would be nice but that's certainly a keeper.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/26/2011 3:43 PM, dpb wrote:
I know I've seen catalogs w/ 1/16" or so 1/2"W and variations on the
theme for such things as mounting on old drawer slides to compensate for
wear and provide a new gliding surface but now that I am really, really,
looking I can't seem to find one handy...

Well, necessity and invention and all that rot...

Nothing local in the UHMW-venue so started on a foraging expedition
looking for suitable candidates for modification. Found inexpensive
plastic trowel of suitable thickness and several widths between
reinforcing ridges.

A few passes over the tablesaw to cut 3/8" wide strips and some
double-sided tape and voila! the front of the dining room buffet drawer
no longer drags the tops of the doors below and has almost perfectly
even gaps at top/bottom again...

Total investment--$1.99 not counting the trip to/from town (which had to
make anyway for mail, etc.) as had the roll of tape on hand.