Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Monday Edition

Here are a few visitor submitted items that won't make it to the web site
for one reason or another, though I'm still curious as to their purpose.

A couple of these are kind of strange looking:

1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...4/adcs01-1.jpg

2.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...4/adcs02-1.jpg

3. The only description that I got with this photo: "My uncle was given
these when he was in France in the 50s, was told they where 500 yrs old."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...014/adcs03.jpg

I doubt they are 500 years old, looks like souvenirs from Chatel Guyon, a
city in France, not sure if they are vases or something else.

Any ideas on what they might be for?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." scribbled:

Here are a few visitor submitted items that won't make it to the web
site for one reason or another, though I'm still curious as to their
purpose.

A couple of these are kind of strange looking:

1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...4/adcs01-1.jpg

2.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...4/adcs02-1.jpg

3. The only description that I got with this photo: "My uncle was
given these when he was in France in the 50s, was told they where 500
yrs old."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...014/adcs03.jpg

I doubt they are 500 years old, looks like souvenirs from Chatel
Guyon, a city in France, not sure if they are vases or something else.

item 3 looks like a pair of drums missing the drum cover.
the metal parts on the side were used as tie downs to tie
the drum cover in place.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#2: Worm props for "Ooey-Gooey II" movie.

Sonny
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...014/adcs03.jpg

I doubt they are 500 years old, looks like souvenirs from Chatel
Guyon, a city in France, not sure if they are vases or something else.

item 3 looks like a pair of drums missing the drum cover.
the metal parts on the side were used as tie downs to tie
the drum cover in place.

Sounds like a good answer for them, I'll forward this to the owner and see
what he thinks.

Thanks,
Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...4/adcs01-1.jpg

CY: My SWAG is a rotary powered grain grinder of some kind. Drives by way of
the big rod. A pencil sharpener, maybe?

2.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...4/adcs02-1.jpg

3. The only description that I got with this photo: "My uncle was
given these when he was in France in the 50s, was told they where 500
yrs old."

CY: Seriously no clue. Does it smell like tobacco? Some what resembles a
tobacco pipe. My second thought was some kind of early sex toy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...014/adcs03.jpg

I doubt they are 500 years old, looks like souvenirs from Chatel
Guyon, a city in France, not sure if they are vases or something else.

CY: Spitoon comes to mind?

#3 look like spittoons. Not 500 years old, tho. Or flower planters.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 12/26/11 13:35, usablevirus wrote:
3. The only description that I got with this photo: "My uncle was
given these when he was in France in the 50s, was told they where 500
yrs old."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...014/adcs03.jpg

item 3 looks like a pair of drums missing the drum cover.
the metal parts on the side were used as tie downs to tie
the drum cover in place.

I don't think so. You need to apply a fair amount of tension to the
drumhead to keep it taut, and those metal things don't seem to be
capable of hooking onto the ropes used to apply that tension.

I would wonder if those things weren't designed to sit inside a metal
ring and the metal bits served to keep the whole thing from falling
through the ring (and avoid abrading the artwork).

Don
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#3 - Further guessing: Folk Art containers, mugs. Some sort of goblet
set for a special/particular occassion. The inscription, Gretal
Guyon? Does this mean girl & boy? Would the set/pair have been
presented to a couple as a wedding gift or such, or used for the
occassion. The right one's decor seems to be of a party atmosphere,
ie. dancing. I would think the decoration would give some indication
of the setting for the gift or occassion, hinting of their use/purpose/
function.

Sonny
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:

1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...4/adcs01-1.jpg

Does this thing open, or does one part move against another in any other
way? If it does open I would like to know the shape of any hollow inside.
It looks like some kind of mould.

2.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...4/adcs02-1.jpg

Looks like a couple of picture hooks that go over a pelmet.

3. The only description that I got with this photo: "My uncle was given
these when he was in France in the 50s, was told they where 500 yrs old."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...014/adcs03.jpg

You haven't indicated the size of these pieces.

Are there three or four hooks/clasps around the "base" of each one? If they
were for chains to hang them somewhere I would only expect three. Trouble
is, if there were chains hanging from a common point above the centre of
the piece they would surely foul the "mouth".

Is the protuberance visible back left of the right-hand piece, some kind of
spout or nozzie whereby the base may be filled with some liquid? (Are they
oil lamps missing the metal fitting containing and controlling the wick?)
--
ΞΎ Proud to be curly - the entity formerly known as Prai Jei.

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...014/adcs03.jpg

I doubt they are 500 years old, looks like souvenirs from Chatel
Guyon, a city in France, not sure if they are vases or something else.

CY: Spitoon comes to mind?

Now that you and several others have mentioned it, they do sort of look like
spittoons, although most of those that I've seen are made of metal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#3 - Further guessing: Folk Art containers, mugs. Some sort of goblet
set for a special/particular occassion. The inscription, Gretal
Guyon? Does this mean girl & boy? Would the set/pair have been
presented to a couple as a wedding gift or such, or used for the
occassion. The right one's decor seems to be of a party atmosphere,
ie. dancing. I would think the decoration would give some indication
of the setting for the gift or occassion, hinting of their use/purpose/
function.

Sonny

I think the text says Chatel Guyon but I emailed the owner and asked about
it but haven't heard back yet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Another odd item that was sent to me, maybe someone here will recognize it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...%2014/005a.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Here are a few visitor submitted items that won't make it to the web site
for one reason or another, though I'm still curious as to their purpose.

A couple of these are kind of strange looking:

1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...4/adcs01-1.jpg

Got the answer for this item, someone had mentioned that it looked like a
vulcanizer so I did some patent searching, it's very close to the patent
below but missing the lamp and body:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT997853

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
Another odd item that was sent to me, maybe someone here will recognize
it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...%2014/005a.jpg

The best guess that I've heard on these parts is that they're from an old
bed frame, I think this is probably correct. They were dug up somewhere in
Australia.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 1/1/2012 10:24 PM, Rob H. wrote:

"Rob H." wrote in message
Another odd item that was sent to me, maybe someone here will
recognize it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...%2014/005a.jpg

The best guess that I've heard on these parts is that they're from an
old bed frame, I think this is probably correct. They were dug up
somewhere in Australia.

I would agree with that ,they look like the cast metal ornamentaion from
an old iron bed frame

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
Another odd item that was sent to me, maybe someone here will recognize
it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...%2014/005a.jpg

Looks like an old cast iron door knocker

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/3/2012 5:39 PM, Grumpy wrote:
"Rob wrote in message
Another odd item that was sent to me, maybe someone here will recognize
it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...%2014/005a.jpg

Looks like an old cast iron door knocker

That was my first reaction, too...

Monday at Lidl George UK diy 121 May 14th 08 12:34 AM
Monday at Lidl The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 36 August 24th 06 10:49 AM
FOR SALE: Limited Edition Lord of the Rings Anduril Sword with special edition mirror wall mount #1295 of 3000. No original packaging, but in perfect condition. Josh Barrington Metalworking 2 November 29th 05 09:51 AM
Mobile, AL Monday Aug 23? David Wade Woodturning 0 August 16th 04 01:21 AM
Monday Lewis Dodd Woodturning 1 August 25th 03 03:43 PM