Faustino Dina

Default How to fight rust...

Hi all,

I live in a high moisture area. Recently I noticed one of my flat wood bits
is getting rust (oxidizing) and it was not used yet (!) Now I'm worried
about my circular saw's blade. Which care should I have with them? May be
covering them with light oil or something alike... What do you reccommend?

Thanks

--
Faustino Dina
If my email address starts with two 'f'

Nick Bozovich

"Blade and Bit" rust remover by Boeshield applied with a Scotch Brite pad
will take the rust off. Then coat with Boeshield or Top Coat (follow the
directions on the can). I'm sure there are other solutions, but this seems
to work for me.

Nick B

"Faustino Dina" wrote in message
Hi all,

I live in a high moisture area. Recently I noticed one of my flat wood

bits
is getting rust (oxidizing) and it was not used yet (!) Now I'm worried
about my circular saw's blade. Which care should I have with them? May be
covering them with light oil or something alike... What do you reccommend?

Thanks

--
Faustino Dina
If my email address starts with two 'f'
drop the first 'f' when mailing me.

GerryG

I've worked in a damp basement for years. Both the Top Coat and hard paste wax
have worked well.
Actually, after 27 years of avoiding rust, we moved to another state and, just
as the movers were carrying out the shop equipment, don't you think it just
had to rain?
GerryG

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:07:32 GMT, "Nick Bozovich" wrote:

[...]

Barry Lennox

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:07:04 -0500, "Faustino Dina"
wrote:

Hi all,

I live in a high moisture area. Recently I noticed one of my flat wood bits
is getting rust (oxidizing) and it was not used yet (!) Now I'm worried
about my circular saw's blade. Which care should I have with them? May be
covering them with light oil or something alike... What do you reccommend?

When living in a humid area, I used automatic transmission fluid. It
was effective and very cheap.

Barry Lennox
Elwood Dowd

A quick rub with WD-40 works wonders. Sometimes I just squirt some into
the toolbox if I don't feel like sorting it first.

A copper wire brush cleans off rust quite well. If you get one of the
round ones that chucks into a drill motor it goes pretty quick.