Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finish question on wood pens

I will be turning a box elder pen and pencil set for a friend shortly,
and he asked about using a polyurethane or polycrylic finish on it to
protect the finished set from finger oils and such.

I've never done that before on wood pens - any thoughts or comments on
the idea? Other suggestions?

I normally use EEE-Ultra Shine and Shellawax Cream for my wood pens.

TIA

Matt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/4/2011 5:20 PM, Matt wrote:
I will be turning a box elder pen and pencil set for a friend shortly,
and he asked about using a polyurethane or polycrylic finish on it to
protect the finished set from finger oils and such.

I've never done that before on wood pens - any thoughts or comments on
the idea? Other suggestions?

I normally use EEE-Ultra Shine and Shellawax Cream for my wood pens.

TIA

Matt

A very protective finish is Super Glue on a rag applied to the spinning
wood. Polish out with very fine grit pads.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, December 5, 2011 10:09:26 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 12/4/2011 5:20 PM, Matt wrote:
I will be turning a box elder pen and pencil set for a friend shortly,
and he asked about using a polyurethane or polycrylic finish on it to
protect the finished set from finger oils and such.

I've never done that before on wood pens - any thoughts or comments on
the idea? Other suggestions?

I normally use EEE-Ultra Shine and Shellawax Cream for my wood pens.

TIA

Matt

A very protective finish is Super Glue on a rag applied to the spinning
wood. Polish out with very fine grit pads.

Yes, this comes out very nice. I use the gel glue so as to reduce splatter. Sucks when you glue your eyelids shut...

-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/4/2011 5:20 PM, Matt wrote:
I will be turning a box elder pen and pencil set for a friend shortly,
and he asked about using a polyurethane or polycrylic finish on it to
protect the finished set from finger oils and such.

I've never done that before on wood pens - any thoughts or comments on
the idea? Other suggestions?

I normally use EEE-Ultra Shine and Shellawax Cream for my wood pens.

TIA

Matt

A very protective finish is Super Glue on a rag applied to the spinning
wood. Polish out with very fine grit pads.

Yes, this comes out very nice. I use the gel glue so as to reduce
splatter. Sucks when you glue your eyelids shut...

-Jim

Even worst when the eyeball sticks in the socket and won't rotate. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/4/2011 5:20 PM, Matt wrote:
I will be turning a box elder pen and pencil set for a friend shortly,
and he asked about using a polyurethane or polycrylic finish on it to
protect the finished set from finger oils and such.

I've never done that before on wood pens - any thoughts or comments on
the idea? Other suggestions?

I normally use EEE-Ultra Shine and Shellawax Cream for my wood pens.

TIA

Matt

A very protective finish is Super Glue on a rag applied to the spinning
wood. Polish out with very fine grit pads.

Yes, this comes out very nice. I use the gel glue so as to reduce splatter. Sucks when you glue your eyelids shut...

No sweat, Jim. Just soak your face in acetone!
(Tearing up just thinking about it...)

--
With every experience, you alone are painting your
own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice.