Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What are those wood / marker / pens called?

I scratched my wife's desk which is the color of cherry wood. Can anyone
tell me the names of those "markers" or "pens" that are used to fill in
the scratches, and are the same color as the wood? Also, where can I get
these?

-Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not sure what they are called. Wax pencils?

You can buy them at any hardware store. They are usually located by
the stains in the paint department. Minwax is one popular brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:32:23 -0400, somebody wrote:

I scratched my wife's desk which is the color of cherry wood. Can anyone
tell me the names of those "markers" or "pens" that are used to fill in
the scratches, and are the same color as the wood? Also, where can I get
these?

-Thanks

Since it is so difficult to match existing finishes, sanding out and
refinishing the entire piece is the recommend choice if the item is
not an antique. You can also take it to a refinisher to do the job.
Perhaps a product like Briwax will clean and hide the scratch but it
won't "fill" a gouge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

somebody wrote in
:

I scratched my wife's desk which is the color of cherry wood. Can anyone
tell me the names of those "markers" or "pens" that are used to fill in
the scratches, and are the same color as the wood? Also, where can I get
these?

-Thanks

scratch fill sticks? or crayons.

Home Improvement stores,woodworking supply stores would have them.
Perhaps even Wal-Mart.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:08:26 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

Since it is so difficult to match existing finishes, sanding out and
refinishing the entire piece is the recommend choice if the item is
not an antique. You can also take it to a refinisher to do the job.
Perhaps a product like Briwax will clean and hide the scratch but it
won't "fill" a gouge.

This is more of a gouge, but I don't want to go to that length. I'll try
the marker first...

-Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 22:05:49 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:

scratch fill sticks? or crayons.

Home Improvement stores,woodworking supply stores would have them.
Perhaps even Wal-Mart.

I can tell you that Home Depot and Lowes does NOT have them. I was hoping
to find a store that offered numerous color choices.

-Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 11:53:06 -0700, noname87 wrote:

Minwax

Thanks. I know at minimum that Home Depot or Lowes does not sell them.
I'll try some other hardware stores, like Ace.

-Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What are those wood / marker / pens called? - GOT IT!!

They are by Minwax, and can be found he

http://minwax.com/products/wood_main...fil_pencil.cfm

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:32:23 -0400, somebody wrote:

I scratched my wife's desk which is the color of cherry wood. Can anyone
tell me the names of those "markers" or "pens" that are used to fill in
the scratches, and are the same color as the wood? Also, where can I get
these?

-Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

somebody wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 22:05:49 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:

scratch fill sticks? or crayons.

Home Improvement stores,woodworking supply stores would have them.
Perhaps even Wal-Mart.

I can tell you that Home Depot and Lowes does NOT have them. I was
hoping to find a store that offered numerous color choices.

Hmm. My HD does have them; they're made by Minwax. They come in several
colors.

Here's a selection:
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-minwax...i-1274414.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

somebody wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 22:05:49 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:

scratch fill sticks? or crayons.

Home Improvement stores,woodworking supply stores would have them.
Perhaps even Wal-Mart.

I can tell you that Home Depot and Lowes does NOT have them. I was hoping
to find a store that offered numerous color choices.

-Thanks

A real paint store, like where painters go, or a hardwood flooring
dealer, should be able to help you out. I know Bruce used to have
crayons in all their standard finishes.

Another option- I've had real good luck with minwax gel stain, making
old scratched wood furniture presentable. Just a dab on a paper towel,
and wipe over the scratch. Unless it is a big gouge, it just vanishes.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:32:23 -0400, somebody wrote:

I scratched my wife's desk which is the color of cherry wood. Can
anyone tell me the names of those "markers" or "pens" that are used to
fill in the scratches, and are the same color as the wood? Also, where
can I get these?

-Thanks

As a kid, I knocked something off a shelf and it dinged the piano. I
took some walnut meat and rubbed it it the damaged area and concealed
what I had done. To this day, no one know.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 08 Jun 2008 07:05:55p, franz fripplfrappl told us...

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:32:23 -0400, somebody wrote:

I scratched my wife's desk which is the color of cherry wood. Can
anyone tell me the names of those "markers" or "pens" that are used to
fill in the scratches, and are the same color as the wood? Also, where
can I get these?

-Thanks

As a kid, I knocked something off a shelf and it dinged the piano. I
took some walnut meat and rubbed it it the damaged area and concealed
what I had done. To this day, no one know.

You were a wicked bad child! :-) But the walnut thing works.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 06(VI)/08(VIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 02:09:46 +0000, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 08 Jun 2008 07:05:55p, franz fripplfrappl told us...

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:32:23 -0400, somebody wrote:

I scratched my wife's desk which is the color of cherry wood. Can
anyone tell me the names of those "markers" or "pens" that are used to
fill in the scratches, and are the same color as the wood? Also,
where can I get these?

-Thanks

As a kid, I knocked something off a shelf and it dinged the piano. I
took some walnut meat and rubbed it it the damaged area and concealed
what I had done. To this day, no one know.

You were a wicked bad child! :-) But the walnut thing works.

I'm paying for my wickedness now that I'm an adult. Tried to get hired
in government but apparently wasn't wicked enough.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 08 Jun 2008 07:40:27p, franz fripplfrappl told us...

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 02:09:46 +0000, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 08 Jun 2008 07:05:55p, franz fripplfrappl told us...

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:32:23 -0400, somebody wrote:

I scratched my wife's desk which is the color of cherry wood. Can
anyone tell me the names of those "markers" or "pens" that are used to
fill in the scratches, and are the same color as the wood? Also,
where can I get these?

-Thanks

As a kid, I knocked something off a shelf and it dinged the piano. I
took some walnut meat and rubbed it it the damaged area and concealed
what I had done. To this day, no one know.

You were a wicked bad child! :-) But the walnut thing works.

I'm paying for my wickedness now that I'm an adult. Tried to get hired
in government but apparently wasn't wicked enough.

LOL!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 06(VI)/08(VIII)/08(MMVIII)
Don't be so humble, you're not that
great. -Golda Meir

Posted to alt.home.repair

franz fripplfrappl wrote:

You were a wicked bad child! :-) But the walnut thing works.

I'm paying for my wickedness now that I'm an adult. Tried to get
hired in government but apparently wasn't wicked enough.

They obviously knew about your nut thing.

TIP: marker pens for ICs and valve/tubes. N Cook Electronics Repair 0 December 21st 07 03:52 PM
OK, Another Use For So-called "Screp" Wood J T Woodworking 0 August 4th 07 07:48 PM
What is the smallest size wood that can be called wood working? Jack Forbes Woodworking 8 January 15th 06 06:01 PM
Indelible Marker pens Dave UK diy 15 January 23rd 04 08:23 PM
Wood called Billy Webb ed_h Woodworking 1 September 19th 03 06:01 PM